Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #41

My HS class had about 600 in it. While I ran into a few for several years later I never went to any of the reunions because I just wasn't interested in reliving those days.

Ten years later, one guy who was an electrician on a nuclear submarine and went on to start his own electrical company said that I was the only one he knew who actually did what he said he was going to do when he got out of HS. I guess that's good.

Two others were also police officers with the same department I was with although at different locations/shifts so I rarely saw them. My best childhood buddy got The Big Ache while driving a city bus and the bus slowly came to rest against a tree, no passenger injuries.

My HS girlfriend that I was madly in love with was last seen about 1969 just before moving to Rhode Island.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Missed the 2010 reunion (class of 1980). But do keep in touch with 2 buds ... we camp every year in the 1000 islands. Both still slogging away in mega corp (pilot and a chemical engineer ).

One of the guys lives in a neighboring town so he gets the local paper. Most notorius of our class "snapped" and killed his wife ... now doing life in prison. Never saw that one coming ... a good kid in high school.

Oh! DW and I ran into one of her old heart throbs last year .... they dated in high school .... a jock, lettered in 3 sports. He ballooned to 400+ lbs. Sweating profusly ... I needed to find him a chair. Sad. So we get home and I cut a second piece of cake for dessert. DW gives me "the eye". I said "hey, I get a pass on this after what we saw today."

Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Correction: He was sentenced to a total of 1,225 years on 21 counts, but the sentences are concurrent so he'll be out in only 75 years - at the age of 135. Even better, he could be eligible for parole when he's 97.
So you went to school with Charles Manson

I have kept in touch with a few and would say they have had decent success, but nothing out of the ordinary. As for me, I cut class so many times in HS I almost did not graduate. Looking back, my college years and adult life was far more successful than when I was in secondary school. I feel fortunate to have turned myself around before it was too late.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
So you went to school with Charles Manson
He didn't kill anyone - but he sure did some serious damage to his family and a mentally disabled teen:
Attached Images
File Type: png Criminal record.png (42.7 KB, 49 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This was my favorite HS reunion:

Trailer here, not as raunchy as it may appear:
Old 04-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to forty year high school reunion and was the only one that showed up! Seem like everyone else sent their parents.
ducky911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #47

My H.S. class had 800 students. I moved far away after college (as it turns out, so did all of my H.S. friends) , so I was not in touch with any former classmates.

Out of curiosity, I attended the 15th class reunion. I remember seeing many of the jocks...who were now balding and putting on weight. Also in attendance "en masse" were the cheerleaders (who still looked good) and the class officers. The rest of the attendees were mostly people I didn't know.

A guy at the next table came over and told me he'd been in my homeroom and had always thought I was hot. I sort of felt bad for him as I didn't have a clue who he was.

The nerdy college prep group that had been my H.S. friends had gone off to college and never looked (or, apparently, came) back.

A few years ago, I did connect through classmates.com with a friend whose family moved away in 11th grade. I always wondered what happened to her. She's now a medical doctor in California. We stay in touch now and then.

omni
Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #48

Our high school class (1973) had 1000 kids in it, DH was Class President so we always go to the reunions.

Several classmates had died by the 10th reunion (accidents and a still unsolved murder) and every 10 year period there are more of those including one of my best friends who died of brain cancer at age 37.

One of the long haired hippies became an astronaut and flew on 4 space shuttle missions. We have a few physicians and a close friend became a veterinarian. A buddy of ours came up with the process used to etch all the names into the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in DC and now uses the same process in his glass etching business in Sanibel, FL.

Our reunions have attendance of 200 or so, usually the ones who have stayed local but some people do travel back, especially if they still have family in town.

At our 30th reunion it was sad to see people who still had not grown up. I was in the ladies room and there was a very drunk woman sprawled on the floor of a stall asking someone to find her shoes and get her out of there.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #49
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The girl you saw still looks good. What about the nerd, how does he look?

Wow, I haven't seen anyone from high school in at least 30 years nor heard about anyone.
I only heard about a nerd from another person, never saw him in person but I'm guessing he has supermodels throwing themselves at his feet. Let's face it $=pretty women magnet
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
I went to forty year high school reunion and was the only one that showed up! Seems like everyone else sent their parents.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Made me look... Apparently my high school class just held a 40th reunion. There were a bunch of photos from the reunion, in which I didn't recognize anyone. I did discover that our Designated Bully was dead, so there's that...

I never had much interest in seeing those folks again. High school may be better remembered than relived.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
After I graduated from high school I enrolled in a University 2k miles away, and after that moved even further away. Never had any desire to keep in touch or go back.
I'm with Michael on this one. Nobody at my high school had common interests, I don't think. But oodles of close and semi-close from undergrad.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I never had much interest in seeing those folks again. High school may be better remembered than relived.
Or better yet, not remembered at all!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

By contrast, I've enjoyed attending reunions and staying in touch with many of my old HS classmates over the years. I suspect this is due to growing up in a small town and the fact about 40 of the 75 in my class were together from kindergarten all the way to graduation. We got to know each other really well...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to a large high school in Hawaii, (Dad was stationed there). Soon after graduating, I moved to the Mainland. With it being so far away, I never went to any reunions. I do look at their reunion web site and see how old everybody has gotten, (except me...Ha!). I do however, keep up with some of my buddies when I was in the AF...30 years ago. It's amazing how time flies by. That's because we are busy bees with work keeping our little minds occupied...
Old 04-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #56

How did the people you know in high school turn out?

Don't know. Don't care.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to my high school reunion and the captain of the football team weighed 400 lbs, the queen of the homecoming game is a nun, the nerds all had done well, the smokers had died and most of the girls looked great. It was fun but the most successful kids weren't the "in crowd" during high school. I am lucky, I had the cutest DW, met a lot of old friends and found out we were really friends but was sad for the group that had passed. But, since it was my 40th I shouldn't have been too surprised. I recommend all go to the reunion.......it was a very nice evening.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Never been to a high school reunion. I went to 5 different high schools. The one I graduated from seems to have forgotten about me. The others don't care. I'm in contact (on facebook) with one person from those 5 schools. Even looking through the yearbooks I can only remember a few people. Not my best time.

College was much better. And most of us are still alive.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:51 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Never gone. Maybe will go to 50th. I am comfortable with myself so I do not feel competitive or inferior or superior for that matter. Alive is good enough for me.

We had a very large class--over 600? I only know what happened to a few. Several died soon after HS. One I knew pretty well, by her own hand. Two I know of by disease. At least two friends became engineers. We have not kept in touch much but I know where they are.

Never had enemies in HS. Not a socializer, I was pretty introverted. I wish all my classmates well. It would be interesting to find out how they all fared. Not for any competitive or vindictive reason, just because there were some nice kids and some interesting kids who were eager to start their independent lives and I am sure some have had interesting lives so far.

I will have to find a yearbook. I threw mine away when the girl mentioned above died.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #60

Went to a US Air Force School in Korea. Of the 110 or so in my class, I am in touch with about 40 of them and another 70 or so from other classes thanks to Facebook. See a couple of them regularly. Most are still alive but one was shot to death on the Appalachian Trail in 1988 and made national news. Another was involved in the 1998 Indonesia Financial crisis but pretty much everyone else has lead normal lives.