Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=NW-Bound;1468889]...Preferably, it would be one on Bainbridge Island, on the eastern shore so that I could have a view of the Seattle skyline......QUOTE]

Never been to Bainbridge Island but 2 cement artist that I admire live there. From pictures that friends have sent it looks beautiful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Panacea (Cure-all) is the name of our family cabin in the middle of the woods where we go to relax and become one with nature.
Also, I figured early retirement would cure just about anything that a weekend at the cabin couldn't.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
... early retirement would cure just about anything that a weekend at the cabin couldn't.
Tell me about it!

That was the reason for me to buy my 2nd home as a high-country retreat. Now that I no longer work, it is still usable to escape from the summer heat. However, now that I have time to get away, I like to travel more, and find myself having to maintain 2 homes. Can't have everything I guess. There's always a gotcha.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
For many years, I wanted to retire to the Northwest, and my dream home would have a waterfront in the Puget Sound. Preferably, it would be one on Bainbridge Island, on the eastern shore so that I could have a view of the Seattle skyline. I have been to the area many times over the years, and like the water, the ocean. About the rain, I came from a rainy country, and do not mind it. I could imagine myself looking out the glass wall, seeing the Space Needle across the bay, sipping my coffee or Cognac. Life could not be better.

Here is the view from Manchester which is about 10 minutes from where I live. Much more affordable than Bainbridge Manchester is a small town in South Kitsap that has a great view of Seattle. If you only wanted a view and it isn't limited to Seattle you can find lots of places up here. I know a former poster here (he hasn't posted in awhile) bought a place up here by Pt. Ludlow, what a beautiful view he has when I saw it.

http://assets-edge.vacationhomerenta...4_img_1295.jpg
Old 07-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Mine is my nickname plus my initials .
Old 07-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Here is the view from Manchester which is about 10 minutes from where I live. Much more affordable than Bainbridge Manchester is a small town in South Kitsap that has a great view of Seattle. If you only wanted a view and it isn't limited to Seattle you can find lots of places up here. I know a former poster here (he hasn't posted in awhile) bought a place up here by Pt. Ludlow, what a beautiful view he has when I saw it.

http://assets-edge.vacationhomerenta...4_img_1295.jpg
Ah, that's a nice view. And if I can get a bit of waterfront, so that I can launch my kayak to go get the crab trap for dinner, there's nothing more to ask.

Regarding Port Ludlow, I did make a trip there specifically for house hunting, then decided as I was still working that I would not be able to make good use of the 2nd home. So, I canceled that plan, and bought the 2nd place near home instead.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Just something easy to remember....initials and favorite number.
I think "aja" is a Chinese equivalent to "ole?" 8 is a lucky number for Chinese. So, I imagined you to be a Chinese.

Robnplunder <--- a local race horse name which I bet a few dollars and won. "Rob" happened to be my 1st name.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I dislike urine in my ski pants in the winter or running down my leg in the summer, hence it is wise to pb4uski.

I wondered about it for so long and could not put pee and ski together. You, sir, made me LOL today at work. Gracias!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #109

Became a bookworm as soon as I learned to read. Then spent the next 5+ decades in school, either as a student (adding to the bookworm fun) or as a teacher (showing others how books are an elixir).

Now, in ER, I'm free again to read whatever I want!!!! No more student essays, or creating strategies to get young adults "into" assigned texts. I can roam the library at will and pull any old thing off the shelf. Then hunker down as long as I like.

So............I'm usually found with a book, or talking to folks about books.

(But when I see photos of ocean-view properties, like those from NWBound, it seems like I should have found a more lucrative profession.)

Oh, well. I get a lot of vicarious enjoyment from other folks' projects. So, please keep posting those photos, NWBound. I hope you can get there someday. We'll all love looking at your views!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post

I wondered about it for so long and could not put pee and ski together. You, sir, made me LOL today at work. Gracias!
So, did I! Now I'll laugh whenever I see his posts!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
So, did I! Now I'll laugh whenever I see his posts!

Just don't eat that yellow snow.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post

And, if we happen to run across some, at least we will know it didn't come from pb4uski!
Old 07-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #113

Quote:
And, if we happen to run across some, at least we will know it didn't come from pb4uski!

He's a Top Cat! (you have to have been around a while to get that one).

Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #114

Quote:
He's a Top Cat! (you have to have been around a while to get that one).
Uh, I'll have to ask my husband about that one. He was a ski instructor, but I never cared much for skiing. (Can't stand heights or speed..........as in "going down a mountain fast".)

I'll see if he knows....
Old 07-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #115

How did you come up with your Username here?

Quote:
Uh, I'll have to ask my husband about that one. He was a ski instructor, but I never cared much for skiing. (Can't stand heights or speed..........as in "going down a mountain fast".)

I'll see if he knows....

I meant be around ER.org for a while (2011).

Here's something to ask him: what is she thinking??

http://english.emory.edu/classes/pai.../monalisa.html

Old 07-08-2014, 08:07 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I get a lot of vicarious enjoyment from other folks' projects. So, please keep posting those photos, NWBound. I hope you can get there someday. We'll all love looking at your views!
I forgot to make it clear that they were not my photos. Rather, they were linked in from Zillow web site, as I was just then looking for homes on the market to see what is available and what the asking prices are. When the homes are sold, these links will stop showing.

Some of the photos that I posted in the past were taken by myself. Usually, I would include a short sentence to make the distinction, but in this case I forgot.

Anyway, these are beautiful views, and with water frontage, they do command a price out of my reach. Even if the stock market cooperates, I think by the time I can afford them, I will be too old to move there or even care.

Quote:
Again, my superior memory reminds me of a song by Frank Zappa of the same title even though I do not listen to this artist, and just now searched on youtube for the following link.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #117

Quote:
Nope, there will be no doubt....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg do_not_eat_the_snow.jpg (176.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
I think "aja" is a Chinese equivalent to "ole?" 8 is a lucky number for Chinese. So, I imagined you to be a Chinese.

Robnplunder <--- a local race horse name which I bet a few dollars and won. "Rob" happened to be my 1st name.
Not Chinese and actually very far from it (Lithuanian). "8" is my favorite number though so good guess on that.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:37 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not Chinese and actually very far from it (Lithuanian).
It so happened that I recently did a bit of reading about the Mongols' invasion of Europe in the 13th century. I guess the Mongols are not really Chinese, but darn, they went all the way to Poland. Few countries were far enough from them. And they did raid Lithuania too.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #120

Aja works.

Eight is great!

But there's #9, #9, #9.