Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Inquiring minds want to know..... did the sale go through before your retirement date?
Yes, the sale closed the first of April, I cashed out my stock options and retired the end of May.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Tell the boss you were retiring, that is?
Another thing I don't have to worry about. I will be the first to know, being self-employed an' all.
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gave 3 months notice in an email to my boss. I sent another email to my friends and co-workers with a photo (my avatar) attached and something about going over the wall on X-date. For those who don't know, my avatar is from the movie "The great escape" with my head on top of Steve McQueen's body.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I'm still working 3-4 days a week, and I have an employment contract that has a 6 month notice for termination clause(either way). The new boss and I have discussed my leaving on several occasions, and he says that I can't retire yet because he doesn't have an answer for replacing me. I've told him that my retirement date is not up to him - it's up to me. He's interested in re-doing my contract. My first objective is to delete the 6 month notice clause. I too have some company stock to sell before pulling the plug which makes things a little more difficult
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I typed up a short note to my divisionhead and wanted to hand it to him personally in a short meeting with him and his two immediate subordinates, my two immediate supervisors. But divisionhead was not back at his desk and it was already after 3 PM and I was getting antsy so I met with only my two immediate supervisors and handed each of them a copy of the note.

I was working only 2 days a week at the time so at day's end I would have only 9 more working days left. I was working on one big project which I thought I would be able to finish in that time, and I did (barely, with 45 minutes left on my last day). In those 4 weeks I was able to organize the stuff I would be handing off to tohers, something I had actually been doing for the last several months.

I also had to carefully complete the 9 page form to properly receive all the proceeds in my 401(k) and company stock plan, the latter of which I am living off the dividends from. It was a complicated process requiring a special stamp from a bank manager of my local bank along with a notarized signature and some special instructions which were followed properly.

I had to request an exit interview which took about 90 minutes. I held no malice toward my division's management, as my main complaint was the commute, one made worse from the companys relocation in 2001. I had some other lesser complaints about other corporate policies butthe HR guy told me this was not the typical exit interview.

On my last day, I did not want any special party of luncheon, as I always despised those things and almost never attended them. Instead, they gave me some cash they raised that they would have spent at a party.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

How I did it? Good question.

Since I was on good terms with the whole management tree, and was in a sort of important individual contributor (non-management position, I quietly verbally informed the managers about 4 months prior to departure. That way they were able to bring in someone, who was co-located in the office I used when I wasn't telecommuting. We worked together on an orderly transition, with him initially shadowing me, then about a month before departure, I shadowed him as he took on effectively all the work.

This probably sounds a bit weird compared to some of the workplaces out there, but this was a fairly large business, chock full of engineers who tended to be pretty orderly and 'grown up' about this stuff.

About a month before departure my boss did mention that I should probably find some way to quietly let others know that I wouldn't be around. Good point. A bulk "OMG! I'm out of here in a month!" e-mail would work, but that's a bit rough to send to 12,000 co-workers. So...

I decided on a more subtle approach. I blocked out my schedule in the company wide calendar app from the departure date to 2032 (as far as I could). That made sure that I wouldn't get meeting invites or be scheduled for presentations without my knowledge. Since I didn't want anyone to be shocked when mail to my company address started bouncing, I tucked this into my work e-mail signature:
Quote:
Mike Paquette
mpaque@BigFruityCorp.com Warning: E-mail address expires March 7, 2008
Two weeks prior to departure I provided my boss with an official resignation to forward to The Forgotten Old Ones that ran HR.

One week prior to departure I started schlepping company assets from my home office back into work.

About 3-4 days before departure I started not taking things all that seriously. An e-mail from that period:
Subject: Re: CGContextFillRect
Date: March 3, 2008 3:24:12 PM PST
To: Red Acted <redacted@BigFruityCorp.com>

Correct. There's no hidden back-channel between the CGContext and CGColorCreate() to propagate any information on the colorspace to be used in creating the color.

For example, the use of a cat-based colorspace has to be encoded with the color, so that when a CGContext sees that CGColor, it will know how to interpret and translate the color into the destination colorspace.

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I work for a small company and they have been good to me over the years with months of paid time off and working from home when my son was quite ill. I have been working only part time for about 3 years.

They have been having financial problems and many people have been asked to leave. I have been reluctant to resign as I am the only one that programs their computer systems and I felt I was needed.

They approached me yesterday and told me they could not afford to keep me and that this was my last day.

I was out of there in 20 minutes.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #28

I haven't yet, because I will probably work 4 more years. I dread telling people, because I will have to resign to a board. I know they will want to do something like a going away social event and I HATE being the center of attention.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #29

I do not feel like a traitor for wanting to leave but I will be sad not to continue to see some patients.
Quote:
Did any of you feel like a traitor for wanting to leave?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:57 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

At the megacorp where I worked, we started working on our annual layoff list- I volunteered to go on the list to take a package and get out- one last name I had to come up with and I was ready to get out!

Didn't feel like a traitor at all, we were consolidating a lot of business so someone at my level was going to have to go and I didn't want to take a chance of being the one that was asked to stay.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I haven't yet, because I will probably work 4 more years. I dread telling people, because I will have to resign to a board. I know they will want to do something like a going away social event and I HATE being the center of attention.
Then don't! Just make sure they know you appreciate the thought but don't want any fanfare. I can't imagine they would not respect your wishes since you are the guest of honor.

They wanted to fly me to Corp for a big shindig, asked several times and several ways, I politely declined and it never happened. I let my offsite peers know my reasons so they wouldn't misunderstand my reasons, and they understood. Local tradition is a pizza and beer sendoff, I never enjoyed those. Opted for cake and coffee in the conf room instead, others had done the same so it was not unheard of, whole thing took less than half an hour. You can have things go your way...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I know they will want to do something like a going away social event and I HATE being the center of attention.
When I retired, I felt the same way.

Wor*ing for a multi-national, with folks both here and in Europe, the different groups wanted to "salute" me in some manner.

I made my feelings known, that I would rather that they contribute to a local charity that both DW/me support.

That meant a lot more to me (and DW) than any party/gift that they could have given to me, after almost 30 years with the company.

In answer to the OP, our (multi-national, with 90k+ employees) required a 90-day notice, to allow time to take care of all the necessary paperwork. I retired, rather than just quit, so there is a different standard, IMHO.

BTW, I did get a note from our named charity for the contribution. It seems my "unusual" request went up to senior management and they made a quite substantial "gift" in my name (of course, they got the tax deduction ). It dosen't matter. My wishes were granted...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #33

I have an agreement until the end of 2012, but every time I see my boss (global CEO) he asks me to stay longer in some way, shape or form. As of August last year, I agreed to do it on some terms that were easy for me to swallow. He agreed it was a good idea. Now both of us aren't so sure. In other words, he is asking me again to stay, but more full time and not on the terms we agreed (agreed last year to a deal that would ease me out but keep me present...now the "ease out" part is less easing and more staying). I've given him a tentative yes, but have insisted that I get to spend more time at home in the US...about a week every month to six weeks. He's not so sure. I see him again in a week and hope to get a clearer picture. If it looks like it won't work, I'll stick to my word and stay until the end of 2012. Then when the end of 2012 comes around, we'll see. I may stay...I may go. A lot will depend on how well my parents are doing (getting old), whether we have grandkids on the way, and if he will at that time agree to favorable terms...oh, and I probably should add, if the markets are such that I still feel comfortable pulling the plug. I'm also in a role that I will need to face the Board every few months, and cannot leave on a moment's notice, so they are aware of and have agreed to my deal to ease out, but I think they are getting cold feet. (Although I'm pretty sure we'll be fine, my feet are getting a little chilly as well).

R