Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of the regular posters here personally directed me to the site.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm on a Proboards group called "notmsnmoney", which was formed after msn.com dumped a forum they had called "Your Money". Most of us made the move and we've had many new people join. (And bundle.com, which they pushed as the great new successor to Your Money, has been sold.)

Someone on notmsnmoney suggested it after I retired 3 years early on very short notice. It's been a great place to learn!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #43

About 3 years after I retired I Googled "early retirement" and found this site.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:43 PM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

I was on MSN money and someone directed me to this site .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:44 PM   #45

When I found out the internet was "a series of tubes" I used the early retirement tube.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #46

Mis-typed and adult websites url.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #47

FIRECalc, from Bogleheads site.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boglehead. Someone mentioned this site there and I came by. I don't frequent boglehead anymore. early-retirement.org is like a superstore. One stop shopping where all my needs are met
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I initially was looking for a stock picking website to get advice on how to pick stocks better. Glad I found this site because indexing is so much easier and more effective

Investing aside, the knowledge and perspective on this site is incredible.
Klubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:38 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

About 10 years ago a couple of "greedy geezer" fellow professors suggested this site because we all had "early retirement/take this job and shove it" on the brain. So..I came, I saw, and I stayed for the great advice and insightful comments that never disappoint. --prof12
prof12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Did you just Google something like "Early Retirement Forum"? Did you read about this site from either another website or literature? Did someone you know tell you about it?

I know I heard about this site from a magazine, but unfortunately don't remember which one. It's been so long ago but I'm glad I found this site.
"Google"?

Why, I came here from John Greaney's RetireEarlyHomePage.com, because that's where you went after The Motley Fool started charging for access to their ER forums.

Dory36 started this site around June 2002 and I think I registered in late 2002.

This was back before Google was even a gleam in any grad student's eyes... people debated whether Yahoo! or that upstart AltaVista was the better index to the Web.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:37 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

A bicycle forum member mentioned it in a post. Like others have said, I lurked for several years before joining.
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote