Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2011, 11:21 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I arrested her brother.

Although my story is boring, I do have a good friend who met her husband when the driver of the car she was riding in ran into his car. Sparks flew.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I shared my doobie with him.
Does this explain "Bewitched, bothered and bewildered"?

Us: Friends introduced us. 2 yrs later we were married. Married 35 yrs now (IIRC).
Old 03-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I arrested her brother.
I've never heard of anyone making bail that way...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I arrested her brother.
Thanksgiving and Christmas must be interesting.

DW and I met as 16-year-olds working at the local amusement park. Having distinguished myself as a competent fry cook at the chicken restaurant, I received a promotion and a 10 cents an hour raise to be the night manager on a three-person crew at the fish-n-chips stand. DW was the cashier and server. We met when I walked in the door and introduced myself as her new boss.

Our first kiss was after the employees-only party celebrating the grand opening of a new roller coaster to the public. It was true love, but we didn't get married for another eight years.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #25

I have never been married. However, I have met my present GF online.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I have never been married. However, I have met my present GF online.
Not here, I assume.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

My sophomore year in college I was in the cafeteria line with a buddy. He nodded towards a group of hot chicks coeds ahead of us in line and said he knew one of the girls as they had gone to high school together. My eyes locked on the girl standing next to her and I remarked to my buddy something along the lines of "Wow, look at her friend. I'm going to marry a girl like that some day."

I lost track of my college friend but 18 months later I married the brunette cutie from the cafeteria line and we've been together for 42 years. I'm sure the fact I borrowed another friends 1958 Corvette for our first date had nothing whatsoever to do with making a good first impression...
Old 03-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #28

Your assumption is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Not here, I assume.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Playing volleyball in the pool at the apartments we both lived in, I spiked one hard over the net and hit her in the face. Married about 2 years later, we've been married for 31 years, so I guess it's a viable approach. Who knew...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We met in college living in the same co-operative/student run dorm that has co-ed cattle showers. I was in a long distance relationship with someone else that was falling apart and killing me in the process. DW to s always around and somone I liked and when things finally reached their conclusion it took about 5 minutes to get together. I think we went on about 1 real date before moving in together. Married at 23 and it will be 15 years this fall.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #31

Toward the end of my divorce while I was still in the house waiting for it to sell and settle up on all that stuff, my niece told me there was a girl at her job that I should meet. Since at the time I had concluded that all women were money-grubbing wenches I had little interest in meeting anyone wearing a skirt. Hearing a bunch of divorce horror stories from other guys at work merely solidified my opinion and I considered myself lucky to escape from the marriage without having to pay alimony or child support. (No kids, the ex had a stable job that paid as well as mine with similar benefits so there was nothing to argue about there.)

The house eventually sold and I moved back home with my mother to save the down payment for a house and do much-needed deferred maintenance on my mother's house.

Anyway, the niece kept harassing me to meet this girl so more to appease her than anything else I agreed. The niece brought her to a backyard anniversary party for relatives and she seemed nice enough and was cute, although very quiet and reserved. So after thinking about it for about three weeks I thought "Well, I really should have a life outside of work" and asked her out to a movie and dinner. It started out very slow as I was still very gun-shy about any entanglements, and my shift work schedule didn't help much. After three years of dating it occurred to me to marry her and the second thought was "Are you nuts? Remember how the last one turned out!"

So I thought about it for another year (by this time relatives on both sides had given up on us) and finally proposed. This July will be 23 years of wedded bliss.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #32

We met in 11th grade Algebra class. We were 16. I was very good at algebra and had a major crush on the boy that sat in front of me. His goofy friend sat next to him. My crush and I would get together in the library during study hall to work on the homework and flirt. He always brought his friend along. His friend was doing very poorly in class but added a lot of fun to our homework sessions.

The object of my crush barely noticed me except for my algebra abilities. I got an A in the class and his goofy friend got an F. I started dating the friend later that year. We went to college together and married in 1976, our senior year of college.

DH still doesn't like numbers, especially handling money, but he can make do when needed. It's always worked well for us that I handle all the finances and math related tasks. Raising kids gave him an outlet for being goofy as an adult. But I taught the kids about money!

We just passed our 39th anniv of our first date and our 35th wedding anniv is in Sept.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #33

My DW picked me out of a book. We belonged to "Great Expectations" a dating agency before online sites. She saw my pic and profile in a book, and the agency contacted me that "someone" wanted to meet me. We've been married 15yrs. Now all she reads is Fiction.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Met in a tavern outside of Wrigley Field in December, 1981. Married her in September, 1985.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:40 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Does this explain "Bewitched, bothered and bewildered"?
....it probably has something to do with it. Ahhh...most of the haze has lifted, but there's still a little fog in my brain. Heh.....y'all can figger that out just by reading my posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Us: Friends introduced us. 2 yrs later we were married. Married 35 yrs now (IIRC).
35 years IYRC......you best be gettin' that number right...well, at least when you say it in front of your DW!
Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #36

Quote:
I arrested her brother.
Dude don't leave us hanging. Details please.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I will tell how I met my late husband.
I was in college, on a full tuition scholarship and covering the rest of expenses myself on a shoestring budget. I went to a SUNY college for 3 years, majoring in Physics, and decided to do my last year as a visiting student at a different SUNY university.
My Mom had relocated to FL in the spring of my 3rd year of college. I drove to FL and spent the summer there w*rking to save up for my room and board and books.
I drove back to NY and had only 1 week to find an apartment. I answered a few ads for "Roommate Wanted" on the student housing bulletin board. The first 2 places were not to my liking and beyond my budget.
I had 3 days left until classes started, so I answered yet another ad.
The guy lived alone and had a separate empty bedroom. The place was neat and clean. He was going to school for a Bachelor in Electrical Technology on the GI Bill and needed help with rent. I could afford the rent and I had MY OWN ROOM, a rarity for off campus college student housing. I called my Mom to get her advice, and she pretty much told me if he tried anything "fresh", I could take care of myself.
I took the room. I set the "rules" in no uncertain terms.
We became fast friends. Only friends.
I ran out of money halfway through the year and took a job at a dirty dingy book warehouse for 5 weeks on mid-year break. I hated that job. But I stuck it out.
He told me (when classes resumed) to forget the last 4 months of rent, i.e. his GI Bill would cover it.
Next thing I know, he is asking me if I want to be more than friends.
I wasn't looking for a husband, but I was smart enough to know he was a keeper. He was a man of quality.
He proposed to me right before graduation. We were engaged for 5 years, and married for 20 years. We had a wonderful life together.

He passed suddenly in October 2004. The shock threw me into a temporary tailspin. I have since recovered from the loss (mostly) and go forward in life.
What else is there to do? I am a survivor and a very independent lady.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

My (now ex) husband and I were scuba buddies and safety divers for a local scuba instructor in Hawaii. That is how we met. But we have been divorced for 13 years by now. We were married for 23 years.

F. is now the man in my life, although neither of us are interested in marrying again (he is a widower). He and I met on an internet dating website. He contacted me because of the advanced degrees. Apparently his mother once told him, "Eventually you have to talk to them!" .

Anyway I doubt that I am any more interesting to talk to than anybody else, but we do enjoy one another's company immensely and have for the past eleven years. He is brilliant, fascinating, and accomplished. Not only that, but yesterday he assembled furniture for me. (Note to the single ladies: furniture assembly skills and actually enjoying furniture assembly and volunteering to do it, are a big "plus"). The longer we are together, the more I realize how terrific he is and how lucky I am to know him.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #39

She answered my newspaper ad, before there was an "online".
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Playing volleyball in the pool at the apartments we both lived in, I spiked one hard over the net and hit her in the face. Married about 2 years later, we've been married for 31 years, so I guess it's a viable approach. Who knew...
Too funny!!!!

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.