Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Sharpe Army Depot.
UOP quad kitchen

Were you the one that night that ... well, never mind. But we did have a great time...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
UOP quad kitchen

Were you the one that night that ... well, never mind. But we did have a great time...
Well crap, do I know you?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

A matchmaker introduced us, and it was a perfect-for-us match. I can't imagine a better, more dependable, loving, caring, partner. We went to school together, graduated, a few months after her daughter, rebuilt our house together after having it flooded a couple of years ago. ( I know what the tsunami victims are going through and feel for them).

Our 18th anniversary of our first time together is coming up on March 22. I call it our Red Star anniversary and will surprise her with a red star to celebrate it. It's a tradition. Fiddler on the Roof
Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We're darksiders!
Did they call it that back then?

I met Mrs Hawkeye in '95, during my extra semester of college (I did the 4.5 year program). She was in NROTC, and I was growing my hair as long as I could. She graduated in '97 and got commissioned into the Navy's Nurse Corps that May while I was still a civilian. I looked into going to OCS that same year, and applied despite her thinking the Navy wasn't for me.

I got commissioned in '98, so she was always senior to me, and outranked for several months when she promoted to LTJG and then LT. She got out after 5 years, did the reserves for 3 more, and is now completely out, while I hope to do what Nords did. 6 years and change to go!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Did they call it that back then?
Sorry, don't know that term... can you explain it so that I'll recognize it when my daughter uses it on me?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #66

Darksiders: USNA Midshipmen who become a married couple. She may not use that term for a few years, as it doesn't apply to ROTC grads. I mis-read your post, I took it to mean Mrs Nords also attended Annapolis. I think you really meant HS.

As you know, you don't have to be smart to fly in the Navy! My wife likes to remind me sometimes.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It was pitcher night at the local college pub, a Tuesday night. Cute strawberry blonde girl walks in with a brunette haired friend. I ALWAYS dated brunettes. My buddy is immediately enamored with the brunette I started talking to. He says: "I know you only date brunettes, but I really like this girl, will you dance with her friend"? Reluctantly, I agree. We have a great time and end up going to an afterparty with her and the brunette and 3 other friends. By this time I am quite drunk and making a fool out of myself.

The night ended about 4 am and we left. I tried to get her phone number but she refused to give it to me. She never told me where she lived so I had no way of finding out how to get ahold of her. Luckily, my buddy went to HS with one of the girls holding the afterparty.

After letting the fog clear, and retracing my steps, I end up at the friend's house. I told her who I was and she rang me into the dorm. I went to her room and asked for the blonde's (future DW's)number. She said: "I don't think she wants to see you, you are obnoxious and a drunk, and she's too nice for you"!!!

I looked the gatekeeper straight in the eye, and said: "She's an adult, I think we should let her decide". Eventually the gatekeeper gave me future DW's number, and I called her. She agreed to a date, and we went out to dinner. It's been over 20 years, 16 years married, 2 kids, and all is well............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I met my DH on a trip to CA in 1987; he was a freelancer for the company I worked for. When I returned to the UK we started emailing back and forth. At the time we only had 300 baud modems, where you could send ASCII text files. This was before AOL, before websites were invented (thanks Al!). A few weeks later we were emailing thousands of words a day and my boss noticed the phone bill...so I convinced him to upgrade to a 1200 baud modem....but somehow the phone bill got even larger!

A few months later he invited me to go with him on vacation in Mexico. How could I say no?! A few months after that we went to Paris. A few months later I moved to the US and we eloped to get married shortly afterwards. Still happily married!

I believe we were the first internet romance!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Well crap, do I know you?
Well surely if our paths crossed we would remember each other.

I was the one with long hair and torn blue jeans.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Blind Date

Mutual friends dinner and snow-shoeing. after that a wicked game of ping-pong... it's a wonder my wife agreed to a second date. I might be a little bit competitive
Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #71

My husband and I will be married for four years this October. We both divorced after long marriages, and we met on an online dating site, and dated for a year before getting married.

The moment I saw his picture I knew we would be together. So handsome!

We are very lucky to have found each other and we talk about that frequently.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #72
gone traveling

DW "found" me on an ancient internet site - "Studs & Duds".

Unfortunately (for her, not me) she entered a Φ in the wrong box ...

Heck, it will be 42 years in September that we're married. Some mistakes work out...
Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #73

Awww, these are some of the cutest stories ever! Such romantics among us!
I was all of 18, dealing with the aftermath of our big Charleston hurricane in 1989 and without anything to do since our family farm was going to be without power for a long time. I started hanging out at the dive shop where I did my certification and helping with raising sunken boats at the downtown marinas.

Turns out that DH was my dive instructor's roommate and showed up at the shop one day while running errands. We went out with a big group of people about a week later, started talking, and have never stopped talking in the 20 some odd years since, 17 of them married.

I always told him I hooked up with him because he was, at 8 years older than me, able to buy me beer! Our age difference was huge back then, but seems less with every passing year.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #74
gone traveling

10th Grade English Class, KCMO in 1974.
Dated off and on thru HS and College.
I graduated in 1980, got a job and moved out of state.
We lost track of each other for 20+ years.
She married someone else in 1981. I did the same in 1986.
She was divorced in 1991, for me it was 2001.
Heard from a friend she was in PHX, looked her up on a business trip.
We got married in 2003; it would have been 35 years this year if she'd said "yes" the first time I asked, way back in 1976...
Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
We got married in 2003; it would have been 35 years this year if she'd said "yes" the first time I asked, way back in 1976...
Maybe or maybe not. Lots of things happen in 35 years, not all good! I think a mature pairing is a special deal.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #76
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Maybe or maybe not. Lots of things happen in 35 years, not all good! I think a mature pairing is a special deal.
Yeah, I had actually typed (or maybe not...) but decided to leave it out since I had just answered "90% Positive" in another thread...

And, yes, we are both grateful for the second chance and are determnined not to screw it up; it is a special deal.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:47 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Growing up with a brother a little over three years older than me, there were always lots of guys hanging around the house. My brother was very protective and didn't let many of his friends get near me.

DH2B was a rare exception since my brother knew what a nice guy he is. We were both about 15 and started out as friends. Our friendship grew and we started hanging out with each other all the time. He was like part of the family and hung out at my house with my brother, parents and I all the time.

My parents invited him to go on a camping trip to West Virginia with us. Mom and Dad were in the front of the RV and DH2B and I were in the back. It was about a 4 hour trip. After we'd been on the road a couple of hours, he looked me in the eyes and leaned over and gave me a kiss. I'd kissed a few boys before, but this was different. It was such a rush!

Got married in 1974 at the age of 19 and have been happily married ever since.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #78
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Growing up with a brother a little over three years older than me, there were always lots of guys hanging around the house. My brother was very protective and didn't let many of his friends get near me.

DH2B was a rare exception since my brother knew what a nice guy he is. We were both about 15 and started out as friends. Our friendship grew and we started hanging out with each other all the time. He was like part of the family and hung out at my house with my brother, parents and I all the time.

My parents invited him to go on a camping trip to West Virginia with us. Mom and Dad were in the front of the RV and DH2B and I were in the back. It was about a 4 hour trip. After we'd been on the road a couple of hours, he looked me in the eyes and leaned over and gave me a kiss. I'd kissed a few boys before, but this was different. It was such a rush!

Got married in 1974 at the age of 19 and have been happily married ever since.

We want to know about the rest of that camping trip...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Well surely if our paths crossed we would remember each other.

I was the one with long hair and torn blue jeans.
De rigueur back then.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
We want to know about the rest of that camping trip...
Nothing much to report. Mom, Dad and I slept in the camper. DH2B had a little tent he brought and set up. The four of us had a great time together (big brother stayed home this trip).

It took a while for our relationship to blossom into a serious boyfriend/girlfriend kinda deal. A few months after the aforementioned camping trip, his parents went out of town and left him home alone......