Join Early Retirement Today

How did you meet your spouse?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

On valentine's day our local paper ran a nice segment where readers wrote in to share their stories on how they met their spouse.

I'd love to hear your stories. Please share in this thread or PM me. I'm thinking about possibly putting together a collection and eventually publishing it.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I met my current spouse on the ferry system here in the Seattle area. I used to commute with a friend of mine and we would sit in this booth and read or talk every morning. She sat in the next booth, and also read, and occasionally would join us. So over time I got to know her casually as we started talking about books, etc. and then when my friend was out of town we often would sit together and talk.

My friend made a comment one day that I was too picky or something along those lines. Somehow the topic of my wife (then not my wife) came up and he made some comment about whether I thought she was attractive.

So I said yes, then next time I saw her, I thought....wait she is very attractive! So I asked her out and as they say the rest is history.

She has been fantastic as a partner and a spouse. I have been with her now about 8 years, this November will be 5 years married. So I guess I was right to be picky as I held out for just the right person!
Old 03-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How did you meet your spouse? ....

I shared my doobie with him.

Mmm, hmmm... We lived in very small towns six miles apart. Since his town was a little larger than mine....3500 people, I would drive to the 'big city'. There wasn't much for us to do except ride the four mile 'loop', sit in our cars in empty parking lots, turn up the car stereo, drink beer and share an occasional smoke.

A few months went by and I saw him riding around...he waved me over. He had a girl with him that I barely knew. After a bit of conversation, he said they were going to a skating rink and wondered if I'd like to come along. I told him no...I don't skate well, but I do enjoy going to the movies. ....and yes, the next night we went to the movies.

That was 35 years ago. No more doobies, but every once in a while we stay up late and watch a movie.

(I realize this is not a story that would be published...but the memory made me smile)

Here's a pic of us when we were still dating. Eh...the pic is dark...but it is an old pic after all...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dating.jpg (65.1 KB, 534 views)
Old 03-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We worked together as Jet Engine Mechanics in the USAF. The woman of my dreams and not afraid of getting dirty fixing Jet Engines that was 25 years ago; time sure does fly when you are having fun
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:57 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Since I have been married twice and am now in a long time relationship I 'll just do the present SO . I was widowed at 51 so after a year my friends suggested I try online dating . Well I met a lot of guys but then I heard from this guy who while he was a lawyer who also had an engineering degree he seemed a little strange . We agreed to meet so I told my friend "This guy seems a little odd .If you don't hear from me I probably met an axe murder " . Well he was and is odd but in a good way and for the first Christmas we were together he gave me a silver bracelet with an axe charm . That was eleven years ago .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Really nice stories, people, thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to reading more of them! Mine is yet to come (maybe) as I am still single, but it's good to see how fate turns!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I grew up in the same town, went to the same high school, but never spoke. 7 years after high school we swore in the local sheriff's dept. on the same day. We spent 18 weeks together in the academy and went on a date 2 weeks after graduating. 2 weeks later I asked her to marry me. We've been together 29 years.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The year was 1974. I was an undergraduate in college, he was a med student at a different university in Manhattan. The girl who lived next door to me in my dorm was engaged to one of his classmates. Her guy brought dh2b along when he came up to visit her, and she asked if I would hit a few tennis balls with them in mixed doubles. I thought he was good looking and liked a lot of things about him but mainly his cheerful demeanor and his athleticism (he was a much better player than I). Alas, though, I was dating someone else so when he called and asked me out, I declined. About six months later a group of us met to go ice skating at Rockefeller Center. I was (and still am) a terrible ice skater (weak ankles). He gamely dragged me around the rink, trying to teach me a bit until I slunk off in embarrassment to wait on a bench for the others. He impressed me with his skating...was really excellent and glided about doing all kinds of jumps and turns. Things had cooled considerably with my former beau so when he asked me out again, I went. I liked that he asked what I wanted to do, and I suggested the Guggenheim Museum. He seemed delighted by this, which further advanced my good opinion of him. Afterwards we strolled through a freezing cold Central Park and went out for giant ice cream sundaes at Rumpelmayers (now closed) and the rest is history.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #9

It was 1966 and DW chased me around HS until I gave up. I was a Jr. and she a Soph. and that was 45 years ago this year. June 27th we will be together steady for 45 years.

Maybe she'll trade me in for a newer model soon.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #10

This is my second marriage (26years). I was divorced and had 2 small children, so wasn't dating much. A friend set me up on a blind date with a good friend of hers. It took awhile for us to fall in love, because I was suspicious of men due to my first husband and he wasn't sure he wanted to raise children. But it all worked out in the end and he has been a wonderful father and husband.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
At work, Stockton CA, 1974
Old 03-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #12

I arrested her brother.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

She is my first college roomate's younger sister.
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I arrested her brother.
My vote for most unique way to meet.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Same high school class, knew each other but not well. Met up at 5 year class reunion - neither of us had dates, so I asked her to dance and we danced the night away. Asked her for her number at the end of the night and she gave it to me but mentioned that she was involved with another guy (who I knew). Called her anyway, and the chase began. It took me a few months, but eventually swept her off her feet. Married 29 years this coming July.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Really enjoying reading these...Leonidas has to have the one that is most unique.

Anyway, I sometimes tell people that I married my husband after dating him for 2 months. Other times I tell people that I had known him for over 3 years and we were very good friends. Each way gives people a different impression, but both are true.

I met him at a local bridge club. (Years later, our son attended a private school that had taken over the lease of where the bridge club had been. Our son thought it was very strange when I visited the school and pointed out where his dad and I had met...) I played against him and enjoyed talking to him. But, there was no romance. He was there playing with his wife. Over the next few years, we became friends and starting playing bridge together from time to time.

Three years later, I knew I really liked him but I also knew that I wasn't getting involved with someone who was married so I started cutting back on playing bridge with him. I found out later he wondered if he had offended me somehow.

Then, he and his wife divorced (she ended up marrying her bridge partner as well). I, of course, was hoping he would ask me out but didn't think he was interested. He told my good friend that he was and she encouraged him to ask me out. Two and a half months later we got married. (Coincidentally in the same wedding chapel in Las Vegas where he had married his former wife. In both cases, the wives had picked out the location so it really was quite a coincidence. Once he recognized the chapel and told right before the ceremony we still got married there but married in the Red Room instead of the Blue Room where he had been married before).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
She was intrigued when she met me. I'd spent the USNA summer on a submarine cruise to the Bahamas, including liberty on Andros Island & Nassau. Somehow we mids on the sub were deemed busy enough to be extended a few days past the start of USNA classes, so we spent the weekend in Nassau showed up late and with wicked tans. At that point I was marked for cutting out of the herd, although I didn't learn so until much later.

We were both in the drum & bugle corps, which involved many hours of practice and weekend bus rides to away football games. During those rides the "homework" bus had tutors assigned to help with difficult subjects. She was failing chemistry and I was a chemistry major. She raised her grade to a "B" and today she complains that 32 years later she's still paying it back.

Our daughter has been consistently unimpressed with her high school's dating gene pool, so we avoided a lot of that drama & intrigue. (As far as we know, anyway.) She's heard our story many times and we've always told her that she'd be much more interested in the college prospects. However she's apparently not paying attention because today she changed her Facebook status to indicate that she's in a relationship with a biochem major classmate. She must be really desperate about her chemistry grade...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I first "met" in Middle School, but never really talked. She was very shy, one of those girls that you might know not is in your class if you didn't look around.

In high school, I'd always thought she was pretty and nice, but never acted on it. However, before our Senior year of High School, I was at a church convention, starting at the ceiling before the service started, and it was weird, it's like something hit my head and said "ask [wife's name]". "Oh, OK" I thought.

So I went back to school, and tried to find a good opportunity to ask her. I finally got the courage up, but when I went to catch her before class, she wasn't there. I was finally ready to talk to her and she was at a doctor's appointment or something.

Turns out she was just running late to our class. I walked out of the classroom to get a drink of water (and look for her, hoping to catch her). She was coming up the stairs then, so I asked "Hey, would you like to go to Homecoming with me?" She nonchalantly said "sure" and walked into class.

Turns out she was freaking out inside, wasn't sure if I was joking, and spent the rest of the day fretting about it. So, we went from admiring each other but never talking, to going to a Homecoming dance, to being married just 3.5 years later.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

My buddies and I were drinking beers and tequila at a local bar 30 some years ago when DW to be walked in. I followed her home and we talked while she ironed her jeans for the next work day. She later asked me to her Christmas party. I said no. I later asked her out for a pizza date. She said yes. After pizza, she came back to my apartment and did my laundry. I knew then that she was the one.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

We met in graduate school. Every Friday night, our department had a happy hour. Our eyes met for the first time over a few pints of beer. I immediately fell for her. She thought I was with someone else so she remained distant at first. After clarifying the situation, I asked her out for the one and only real date we've ever had. The courtship was short and intense. That was 13 years ago.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote