How Different Generations of Americans Budget Their Time

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
No real surprises to me, but I just thought it was interesting to see how our generation compares with those younger than (most of) us.

How Different Generations of Americans Budget Their Time - John Metcalfe - The Atlantic Cities

There are graphs in the linked article that accompany each of these bullets:
  • First, here's evidence that parents in their late 20s and early 30s spend much more time than other groups tending to children; the bulk of the care happens in the evening.
  • After the kids grow up, parents replace them with pets.
  • Older Americans are very good at volunteering in their communities (and because they're often retired, have the time to do it during the busy early hours).
  • Seniors are also very fond of picking up a book and taking it to bed. Kids these days show much less indication of reading for pleasure.
  • America's young adults have also all but given up on the radio, except for one block of time at dawn. Checking on traffic conditions? Listening to NPR? I'm not sure—maybe somebody older than 60 can provide the answer, because that generation listens to the radio all the time.
  • When they're not reading, the younger generation is working out and playing sports.
  • They're also more apt to be on their computers, particularly at night, surfing the 'net and penning emails. (Wasting bad guys on "Call of Duty" and other video-game activity is not included here):
  • See if you can guess the identity of this mystery activity (refers to graph), which exhibits a similar pattern in all categories of age?
  • Yep, it's watching television and movies. Writes Walker: "We are still a nation of TV watchers."

Somehow the TV comment doesn't surprise me. I try to watch as little as possible, and when I do, it's usually while exercising or eating if by myself. Even playing video games is better for my brain than just passively watching TV.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a study out there analyzing how satisfied people are with retirement based on how many hours of TV they watch. I would think the more they watch, the less desirable retirement would be. It's just too passive to be good for us.

I will admit to having hours fly by playing Candy Crush, but I find my brain needing to work a bit to figure out the tougher puzzles, so I still would rather see people doing that than passively watching TV.

Even playing video games is better for my brain than just passively watching TV.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a study out there analyzing how satisfied people are with retirement based on how many hours of TV they watch. I would think the more they watch, the less desirable retirement would be. It's just too passive to be good for us.
Amen! Even internet surfing has to be better than the tube, at least marginally.

I find most movies to be incredibly boring because you just sit there and let your mind go into near-death paralysis. Eww. Now video games - - I love playing them because in a video game I have an active role in the story. I can do things (or not), and often what I choose to do affects the outcome.

The article mentions radio:
America's young adults have also all but given up on the radio, except for one block of time at dawn. Checking on traffic conditions? Listening to NPR? I'm not sure—maybe somebody older than 60 can provide the answer, because that generation listens to the radio all the time.
I seldom listen to radio per se, but often I listen to podcasts of radio shows, on the computer, at my leisure. That probably doesn't count.

I find most movies to be incredibly boring because you just sit there and let your mind go into near-death paralysis. ...

That is actually why I like movies...... particularly at the movie theater. Assuming it is a good movie your get an hour and a half to two hours in another world.

I usually listen to radio in the car, sometimes at home as background noise and at the beach for sure.

I only listen to the radio in the car (which is to say never since I don't drive much). I might listen to some music from my iTunes library or an audiobook during the day. I rarely feel drawn in by movies or TV programming anymore. If the TV is on, chances are I am not watching it (or sitting in front of it). It just provides some background noise while I surf the net, watch Youtube videos, or play video games.

That is actually why I like movies...... particularly at the movie theater. Assuming it is a good movie your get an hour and a half to two hours in another world.

I usually listen to radio in the car, sometimes at home as background noise and at the beach for sure.

Yes that's what I enjoy about movies. I go to that 'happy place'. I don't tend to remember lines or scenes, there are some notable exceptions, I'll keep them to myself. :what:

It's like a good drive alone, an hour or two goes by, nothing but peace. I guess we're all wired differently.

MRG

The young folks I know spend very little time "penning e-mails." They instant-message and snap-chat a lot, though. They text constantly!

Amethyst

Put me down in the "caring for children" camp. I must be doing something right, they haven't run away yet.

I never care for our pet. I think someone else in the house does. They must be doing something right, the pet hasn't run away yet (much to my consternation).

I probably spend 4-5x as much time on the computer as I do watching TV. I intentionally try to watch TV but average no more than an hour per day.

Back
Top Bottom