How do I burn a video to a DVD?

veremchuka

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
irradiated - too close to the nuclear furnace
I have wanted to do this for some time but keep putting it off. The video is on YouTube. Do I have to download the video to my C drive and then copy it to a DVD or can I burn it directly from YouTube to the DVD?

If it is the former will transferring the video to the C drive lose some quality and then to the DVD lose more quality or will the quality of the video on a DVD be the same as it is on YouTube due to digital technology?

Thanks!

Interesting timing. When I saw this thread I was literally about to switch to another tab to start looking for good software to capture streaming videos (like Youtube and Netflix) so I could watch them from a netbook or pad. I tried some free software a while back -- it might have been involved in my hard drive's demise :). Now - with a fresh drive - I am back to it. I think I will wait a bit and see if someone else on the forum has good pointers before I head off to explore on my own.

If you're using Firefox for your browser get the "download Helper" add on. That will download the video and convert it to a video format than can be read by Windows Media Player or other software. That file can then be burned to a DVD. There should be very little if any loss in quality

If there is any software to time shift Netflix I'd like to know about it too.

There's no need for any loss of quality simply to store a file on a DVD. I use DVDs to back up my computer, and I store all sorts of files on DVD, without changing the contents of the files at all. File systems have to be changed, and possibly the names of files, but not the file contents. However, getting a file containing a video onto a DVD in a form that it can be played by a DVD player is a different problem, because the DVD player can play only certain video formats. If your file happens not to be in one of those formats, the file format has to be converted, and that could cause some loss of quality. Software programs that emulate DVD players might have the same restrictions, or might be more general. My favorite video player program for Linux is Smplayer, based on the mplayer program (all free), which will play a very large number of different video file formats.

My solution for timeshifting streaming video is to send the output from the computer into a DVR and record. Here are my notes to myself:

Set up s-video cable:

Attach cable ("e" in cable is at the top)

Choose display properties, settings. Set the resolution for display #2 to 1024 x 768. Right click on the 2 screen, and choose Attached. Click Apply.

If things don't work unattach it and start again. Make sure cable is plugged in.

Set DVR to L2 (you should see the screen saver image) and connect the s-video and audio cables to the front port of the Panasonic DVR.

Make sure volumes are maxed out on the computer (hulu volume and computer volume)

Make sure laptop is plugged in via 3-prong (no ground)

Press Record on DVR multiple times to have it turn off after, say, 2 hours.

Start Movie
Put hulu window over on tv screen
click full screen

Back
Top Bottom