Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2018, 09:36 PM   #21
gone traveling

I really don’t like to fly, the crowds at the airport, security check ins, immigrations, flight delays, I really hate it all but sometimes you have to tolerate to get to where you want to go, then there’s the Chinese travelers that really irk me with their cutting the lines and coughing/sneezing without covering up to spread their germs. I can tolerate shorter flights under 5 hours much better than long international flights with multiple hour layovers, took me over 24 hours to get from SFO tO Bangkok with layover and delays, I’m really surprised I didn’t get sick, I usually end up with a cold from some Chinese passenger
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
My sympathies, Al. Flying has sure gone downhill during my lifetime. I used to love it, but that was then and this is now.

We haven't flown anywhere since my DD's wedding, back in 2009.

Yeah, I remember the days of openly smoking in the cabin
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It is a necessary evil to visit the awesome places I want to see. They used to board the back of the plane first. We fly about twice a year. We can’t take slow methods of travel since don’t want to be gone from our dogs longer than 2 weeks.,
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
I completely agree. I avoid flying whenever possible.
But when I have to, I made a vow last year to fly first from then on. I'm sticking with it. The last two flights my DW and I flew on were in first, and the contrast was like night and day. First to board, relax, spread out, sip a cocktail while the rest of the plane fills up. I refuse to be crammed like a sardine any more. I felt guilty while I watched others walk by, to be crammed into coach. But the feeling passed rather quickly.
Blow that dough. To me, this expense is worth it.
Oh yeah....that's exactly what we're going to do when we fly again. We flew first class (for the first time) on our last trip and it was a huge difference.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:11 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess I just don't fly enough to where it's bothersome. I drive my motorcycle to the airport so parking is free, TSA gets me through relatively quickly, and I even don't mind plane delays.

For fun I'll fly to San Fran, have lunch and be home by dinner. I enjoy the take offs and landings. Flying still amazes me.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:40 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We decided, after our flights in baggage class between BOS and LIS last Autumn, that it was business class from now on.
+100! As we aged and could not tolerate transatlantic flights of 10 or more hours in coach, we started flying Business Class.
It is not only the comfort on board, but the access to the Business Class lounges at both ends. It gets you out of the geck and gull of a large airport like LAX. We would make it a point to arrive early to take advantage of the lounges as part of our vacation.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #27

Flying in comfort is a choice. We fly this way for domestic transcontinental. At $599 each way from LAX to FLL or LAX to JFK, it's a bargain. Overseas travel has always been on business class for the past 30 years. Splurge a little and remember you can't take your money with you.

Jetblue has disrupted domestic business class service and prices from other carriers have dropped to compete. Soon Jetblue will be flying trans Atlantic routes and will offer this service.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:02 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I had my fill of flying during my career, averaged about a flight/month. Flying to Europe was brutal! Like others, now we only fly when it’s someplace we can’t drive in a day, maybe two. OTOH, as uncomfortable as flying is today, if you shop smart you can’t beat the low cost. Most people say one thing, but ultimately pay for cheap - and that’s what’s driven all the comforts and frills out of commercial flights. We reap what we (collectively) sew.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:31 AM   #29

After completely burning out with corporate travel I swore off flying for a year or so after ER. DW and I slowly got back into it after a few road trips. Flying is a PITA and driving is much worse IMHO.

DW got me back into a plane by only buying first class tickets to ease the pain. After realizing there really isn't much special about that experience we're now sliding back to coach. We prefer to spend the extra on hotels rather than a wider seat for 3 hours.

We generally fly at less congested times which are also cheaper. Also, we get to the airport very early, have a meal, relax and watch those still hung up in the rat race. Cheap entertainment to boot.

It's all about attitude, but I admit it has taken me a couple years of ER to lighten up and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:44 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

The first few trips years ago were exiting - but now it's so boring and tiresome. I much prefer to use a week with the motorhome to hours on airports and a plane.

I have all the time I need. Plenty of room. My bed. My recliner. And don't forget - my own bathroom.
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:50 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

And how do you make an airline reservation these days and pay with cash?
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:52 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I've mentioned a few times that I've logged over 4,000,000 miles during my work time. I was fortunate to be able to go First/Business during those flights.

It used to be that going First was an upgrade; nowadays I believe that First is the real price of the flight and everything below that is a compromise between price and comfort.

When I first RE'd we tried economy to Europe for the first time. Never, ever again; we'll pay the money for First or not go.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:09 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We invested in creature comforts. Good Bose noise cancelling headphones, compression socks, comfy shoes, iPads with a good book and or movie. We look at our time onboard as a break. We also try to have a good meal before boarding.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:32 AM   #34

After reading this thread, I am really dreading my flight to Europe in a few weeks. Maybe I will cancel the flight and drive instead. We could always overnight in the Azores.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:38 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Flying in comfort is a choice. We fly this way for domestic transcontinental. At $599 each way from LAX to FLL or LAX to JFK, it's a bargain. Overseas travel has always been on business class for the past 30 years. Splurge a little and remember you can't take your money with you.

Jetblue has disrupted domestic business class service and prices from other carriers have dropped to compete. Soon Jetblue will be flying trans Atlantic routes and will offer this service.
Maybe it belongs in the "Blow That Dough" thread but DW has started to insist on BC for the eastbound overseas legs. I just cashed in a credit from United to purchase tickets to Tucson and popped for 1st since it wasn't that much more than economy plus. When we go to Florida we pack the bikes on the car and take the Auto Train (with a room).
Old 08-22-2018, 05:42 AM   #36
gone traveling

I find flying these days to be just barely tolerable.

I have found that the JetBlue "Even More Space" seats are worth the extra cost for my wife and I when we fly cross-country.

Still, the only thing good about flying is arriving at our destination. If there was another good way to get there I'd give it a try. Maybe once my wife fully retires we'll take a trai.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:43 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
And how do you make an airline reservation these days and pay with cash?
Use a local travel agent.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:50 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I really don’t like to fly, the crowds at the airport, security check ins, immigrations, flight delays, I really hate it all but sometimes you have to tolerate to get to where you want to go, then there’s the Chinese travelers that really irk me with their cutting the lines and coughing/sneezing without covering up to spread their germs. I can tolerate shorter flights under 5 hours much better than long international flights with multiple hour layovers, took me over 24 hours to get from SFO tO Bangkok with layover and delays, I’m really surprised I didn’t get sick, I usually end up with a cold from some Chinese passenger
Flew from Shanghai to Singapore with three Chinese old ladies hocking louies on the floor behind me every 20 seconds for the entire flight. Kept my shoes on.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We decided, after our flights in baggage class between BOS and LIS last Autumn, that it was business class from now on.
+1.
We got spoiled during my w*rking years with both high end FF status and frequent upgrades. If we're not in the pointy end of the plane, we don't go.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I don't like to fly. I'd rather take a road trip. But when I fly, I usually fly Southwest and have developed a routine to keep the experience as tolerable as possible. I try to pick flight times at off peak times to minimize traffic, airport congestion, and hopefully get a non-full flight. Arrange for rides to/from the airport to minimize the hassle. Try to pack as little as possible. Take a book or something interesting on my iPad to occupy myself during parts of the flight when I'm awake.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote