Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

First person to ask me was the Immigration officer when I returned to US Monday. I think he had to let me in as I am an American citizen but I guess I felt I had to prove I have (or at least had) some redeeming social value and was not a burden on society because I felt compelled to reply I am a retired physician instead of simply I am retired. Have not had this question socially yet....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #42

If one is feeling mischevious:

1. "I'm unemployed." Let it go at that. If there are further inquiries make up an outlandish story.

2. "I just got out of prison and haven't found a job yet. Can I list you as a reference?"

3. "I got FIRED."

Other suggestions?

Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
How do you explain your ER situation to old friends or new people you meet?
Wish someone would ask.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

Anything I damn well please.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
If one is feeling mischevious:

1. "I'm unemployed." Let it go at that. If there are further inquiries make up an outlandish story.

2. "I just got out of prison and haven't found a job yet. Can I list you as a reference?"

3. "I got FIRED."

Other suggestions?
Q: What do you do?
A: About what?
Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
After a round of golf, the question came up. I replied that I had recently retired. The person asking has recently ERed too. Next question: what did you DO? When I replied that I was a physician, she responded "but how can you do that, physicians don't retire!"

It is clear that we have a lot of education to do!
+1,000!!!

As US medicine has changed, seems most docs now get fed-up with the increasing BS & look forward to retirement (whether ER or "normal" age). My own doc (of 20+yrs) is in that camp. Says it now takes him almost as much time on overall bureaucratic overhead (paperwork, meetings, etc.) as he can spend with patients
Old 05-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #47

I'm not to that point yet, but here are my favorites, collected from above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
"I wanted to try something new, so I'm now a self-employed investment manager."
Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
I'm currently taking a break from working - you know how it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
"My current wealth management position consumes all of my time."
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
...an "independent consultant". When they ask him in what area, he says "whatever area I choose".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoKitty View Post
Old 05-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoKitty View Post

Or the Texas version, "About whut?"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #49

Quote:
After a round of golf, the question came up. I replied that I had recently retired. The person asking has recently ERed too. Next question: what did you DO? When I replied that I was a physician, she responded "but how can you do that, physicians don't retire!"

It is clear that we have a lot of education to do!

OK, "Physicians don't retire" isn't a great response; it sounds as if she was surprised. If you and I just met, and I heard/learned or you told me that you were a retired physician, I would be curious about that/about you. I would wonder why a physician would retire at a youngish age. And, that would be because I never met a physician who retired early (although apparently they do exist).

I'm guessing that if I seemed genuinely curious about your situation, you might be willing to talk about it to some degree.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I still do some contract computer work so I just tell people that I consulting these days and can do much of the work from home.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #51

I don't see what the big deal is. My answer will be (very soon) that I'm retired. Anybody that has a problem with that answer, tough $@*%!
Old 05-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
OK, "Physicians don't retire" isn't a great response; it sounds as if she was surprised. If you and I just met, and I heard/learned or you told me that you were a retired physician, I would be curious about that/about you. I would wonder why a physician would retire at a youngish age. And, that would be because I never met a physician who retired early (although apparently they do exist).

I'm guessing that if I seemed genuinely curious about your situation, you might be willing to talk about it to some degree.
It's interesting that we need to explain it here, of all places!

In my experience, people are surprised that a physician might retire because (in their judgment)

A. it's a "waste" of all that training
B. we are all so fulfilled at our work that we couldn't possibly think of giving it up
C. we owe a debt to society

In reality, many physicians have needy personalities and like to feel needed. Some are narcissists and the physician role makes them feel important. Many others continue to work into old age because they must, having been sucked into overspending "because they deserve it" and because they are frequently not good money managers. Busy physicians who don't learn about investing (i.e. have more money than sense) are more likely to get sucked into risky investments.

My family paid for my education and family money is funding almost half my retirement; the other half was funded by 33 years of very hard work, during which I have paid a lot of taxes, with more to come. I have no pension. I do not feel that "society" owes me anything, nor do I feel indebted to society.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I would wonder why a physician would retire at a youngish age. And, that would be because I never met a physician who retired early (although apparently they do exist).
I know of four personally, besides my soon to be retired self....plus the ones on this forum...not as rare as you might think.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
I know of four personally, besides my soon to be retired self....plus the ones on this forum...not as rare as you might think.
Guess not (as rare as I thought). Thanks for straightening me out on this.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #55

Quote:
In my experience, people are surprised that a physician might retire because (in their judgment)

A. it's a "waste" of all that training
B. we are all so fulfilled at our work that we couldn't possibly think of giving it up
C. we owe a debt to society

In reality, many physicians have needy personalities and like to feel needed. Some are narcissists and the physician role makes them feel important. Many others continue to work into old age because they must, having been sucked into overspending "because they deserve it" and because they are frequently not good money managers. Busy physicians who don't learn about investing are more likely to get sucked into risky investments.

My family paid for my education and family money is funding almost half my retirement; the other half was funded by 33 years of very hard work, during which I have paid a lot of taxes, with more to come. I have no pension. I do not feel that "society" owes me anything, nor do I feel indebted to society.
Yours was such a terrific response: I'm no longer jealous that you have such a great view from your home.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #56

I just say we're retired and take it from there. I'm proud of our accomplishment & so far I've encountered very little negativity. I respect other people's lifestyle choices too even if I don't think its for me.

I read of a great response once to the question - I think it was a famous author.
"What do you do?"
"In event of what?"
Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #57

I just say that I found work to be highly overrated. Most have a hard time disagreeing with that.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Or the Texas version, "About whut?"...
That needed fixin'
Old 05-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That needed fixin'
So did at...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
My dentist is thinking about retiring early. Last time I went for an appointment, I gave him my copy of the Boglehead's Guide to Retirement Planning. He said he would return it, but I insisted he keep it as a good guide for the long term.
I also jotted down the URL for this site.

Talk about a happy doc!