Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?
I'd miss it a lot. I want mail delivery Mon - Sat no matter what. 4 3.85%
As long as post office is opened on Sat. I don't mind no Sat delivery 18 17.31%
I don't care either way. 14 13.46%
5 day mail delivery is fine. I use other means (email, autopay, etc.) 30 28.85%
5 day mail delivery is fine with me. I mostly get junk mail and bills anyhow. 38 36.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I recall a couple of years ago mailboxes which used to be on every corner were disappearing like phone booths. Now, there's still a few around but not as much.
Not as much? They are essentially extinct here and have been for many years. I saw one in my area a few years ago and said, "Frank, look! An old-time mailbox!" Then we speculated about who lived there that could have enough sway to get a real mailbox on their block. We wondered if it was actually serviced.

I am quite sure it is the only one in my region.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
And our post office is only open from 10:00 till noon on Saturdays anyway. Might as well close it. Maybe add those two hours of open time to a weekday (currently open 9-5 only), so people could stop by to/from work. The other post office in the area is already closed on Saturdays.
That might work too, and solve the working stiff dilemma. Our PO is also open from 10 to noon on Saturday (but only 8:00-4:00 weekdays). Seems like closing on Saturday and closing at 6 or 7 one evening would do the same thing.

I think our PO's hours are wonky; it looks like you have to work 6 days a week to get 40 hours in. I wonder if the employees would prefer to work a longer Monday (for example) in order to get Saturdays off assuming a 30-minute lunch break. As long as the cutbacks didn't screw the people who have to w*rk, it would make sense. What doesn't work for w*rkers is dropping Saturday without adding at least one day with evening hours.

Every time I step into our PO I'm reminded what I like about small town life. Even in the noon hour and on Saturday, there's almost never more than 1-2 people in line.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Some countries already have (only?) five day delivery. Strikes me as first-worldish.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heck.... let's save a LOT of money... fire half the work force and have mail delivered twice a week... some places get Mon and Thur and others Tues and Friday.... just like garbage...

They can work longer days to get in their '40'... (if they work that long)... I bet this would save many billions...
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm more than happy to see a M-F mail service only. I receive so little mail now that I have consolidated accounts and signed up for online delivery, that I wouldn't even notice.

As for outgoing mail, well most post offices are open beyond 9-5 so I can't see any issue with working stiff being able to get there if they have anything to send.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Heck.... let's save a LOT of money... fire half the work force and have mail delivered twice a week... some places get Mon and Thur and others Tues and Friday.... just like garbage...
That wouldn't come close to eliminating half of the overall work the USPS does -- only in the areas of staffing the PO and the folks who actually deliver the mail would potentially be impacted that much.

If the volume of mail didn't change much, you'd just have just as much work that needed to be done in the transportation and sorting infrastructure. In other words, to use corporate buzzword bingo speak the "customer facing" stuff could be cut in half but the "back office" stuff would be barely impacted.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Our mail forward service only sends our mail when we request it, which is about once a month. We won't even notice the change.

DW is craft-y, so we mail packages at least once a week. Always M-F.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's relevant, because soon shipping movies around the country on pieces of plastic (instead off downloading them) will be as archaic as sending sheets of paper with writing on them.
Well said. I don't even care if USPS delivers mail only once a week. 95% of my USPS mail are junk anyway.

At least half of my meaningful mail now arrives to my email box.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't care but wonder how some businesses might be affected - businesses like NetFlix, for example. No shipping or receiving on Saturdays means subscribers may have to wait an extra day to get their movie.
With Roku saturday delivery is less of an issue for Netflix. In fact, eliminating a mailing / delivery day will be a real cost reducer – profit generator for them.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
With Roku saturday delivery is less of an issue for Netflix. In fact, eliminating a mailing / delivery day will be a real cost reducer – profit generator for them.
You'd think that might be the case but not according to this: Delivering Movies in Slow Motion | The Big Money

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't care but wonder how some businesses might be affected - businesses like NetFlix, for example. No shipping or receiving on Saturdays means subscribers may have to wait an extra day to get their movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's relevant, because soon shipping movies around the country on pieces of plastic (instead off downloading them) will be as archaic as sending sheets of paper with writing on them.
I think a business model dependent on the USPS is doomed to fail, and it looks like Netflix is beginning to realize that too.

I think USPS could go to Tue & Thu deliveries without any significant disruption to my life. I think working families would adapt to it too. Let FedEx and UPS set the rates for those who can't use a fax or e-mail or wait a few extra days.

Or maybe we should rethink our utility services and pick up trash twice a day-- imagine going a whole week without being able to dispose of that stinky stuff! What are we, a third-world country?!?

Different subject. For those of you who go to the post office to buy stamps and mail letters, I have a question: why?

I order stamps online (costs a buck but saves the trip) and arrange mail-carrier pickup (free, but I need to think ahead a day or two). If a package is too big for my mailbox (or if I'm nervous about theft) then I go to the post office's automated kiosk, where the drawer is big enough to hold a small child. I only enter the post office once or twice a quarter, perhaps a half-dozen times per year, and I haven't actually transacted business with someone behind the USPS counter for over two years. If the automated kiosk was in a lobby (like an ATM or a library book drop) then I wouldn't even need to go into the post office.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Nords, I buy stamps at the grocery store, but our post offices took out the kiosks where you can mail your own packages without having to deal with a real person.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #33
gone traveling

Here's an thought- segregate RESIDENTIAL and BUSINESS mail and provide service that fits a cost/benefit model? i.e RESIDENTIAL mail delivery three days a week and BUSINESS deliveries five days a week. Priority Mail (premium product) would still be delivered every day. UPS and FedEx can fill any missing service gaps- if people want something delivered in a specific time frame, there are services that will accomodate them.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If a package is too big for my mailbox (or if I'm nervous about theft) then I go to the post office's automated kiosk, where the drawer is big enough to hold a small child.
Yeah, well, our town is too small and probably too Luddite to get one of those technological thingies. I remember using them a lot in Houston, though.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #35

Nords,
Our subdivision does not have garbage service. We have a dumpster area and you can put trash in anytime. Good thing is it is 'free' to residence. We have found we only go about once a week.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If a package is too big for my mailbox (or if I'm nervous about theft) then I go to the post office's automated kiosk, where the drawer is big enough to hold a small child.
Yeah, but my kids are getting pretty big now. I guess I'd just have to use UPS.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I don't care. More than 90% of what is receive is junk mail anyways. It's one more day per week off of shredder duty for me.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Twice a week delivery would be fine with me, being a very low volume snail mail recipient.
A consideration for less frequent deleivery is apartment buildings with those teeny tiny locked mailboxes for the tenants. Not much fits in there to begin with, so less frequent weekday delivery could be a problem. Walking mail carriers would definitely be affected (heavier loads and more trips back to their mail truck) also if weekday delivery was reduced.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:29 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Twice a week delivery would be fine with me, being a very low volume snail mail recipient.
A consideration for less frequent deleivery is apartment buildings with those teeny tiny locked mailboxes for the tenants. Not much fits in there to begin with, so less frequent weekday delivery could be a problem. Walking mail carriers would definitely be affected (heavier loads and more trips back to their mail truck) also if weekday delivery was reduced.
It's not just apartment buildings. In their infintite wisdom, the PO has gone to tiny little cluster boxes on all the new housing developments here in AZ. Everyone hates them, and complains about them, but in their mission to provide only the scantest hint of customer awareness, the PO continues to install them.

DW and I travel quite a bit; more than once we have had to go to the PO to pick up ....3 days...of accumulated mail; because it won't fit in our miniature mailbox. There, I got to listen to a lecture from a sanctimonious pr*ck helpful PO employee about the requirement for me to pick up my mail every day... He couldn't grasp the concept of anyone traveling outside the zip code more than once a year and therefore unable to visit their convenient cluster box every day ... I asked him about getting us an bigger mailbox, since theirs barely holds a unmarked brown envelope utility bill, let alone all the unsolicited bulk mail and junk mail that is filling valuable mailbox space that could be better utilized by important communications-annuity offers, AARP mass mailings, political fundraising letters, and free financial planning seminars. His response, although mumbled and incoherent, was terse and therefore presumed to be negative.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #40

I voted for "mostly junk mail and bills" but I also would like to see at least the lobby, with access to vending machines, open on weekends, even if the counter isn't. I used to have a post office box, and those were also accessible even during off hours, although I don't know if that's the case in every post office.