How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?

How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?

• I'd miss it a lot. I want mail delivery Mon - Sat no matter what.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • As long as post office is opened on Sat. I don't mind no Sat delivery

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • 5 day mail delivery is fine. I use other means (email, autopay, etc.)

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • 5 day mail delivery is fine with me. I mostly get junk mail and bills anyhow.

Votes: 38 36.5%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, If the USPS goes to 5 day mail delivery, how do you feel about that?

Postal Service's Proposal for 5-Day Delivery in the Mail - AOL News

For me, if I was still w*rking, I'd miss that as back then I liked getting Saturday mail also Saturday was a 'run my errands' day. But now, "Everyday is Saturday" :LOL: I voted for #2, as long as post office is opened on Sat, I'm fine

I look forward to getting Time Magazine on Saturdays, but if it gets any thinner they'll just print it on a postcard. :LOL: Beyond that, 3 day delivery would suit me fine.

3 days a week (or even less) would be fine with me since there is nothing of major importance that I receive or send by USPS.

Why not skip Tuesdays or Thurdays instead? That way there wouldn't be a two-day gap in service. After all, they claim to be a customer-driven entity...:whistle:

I think w*rking stiffs need the PO to be open on Saturdays, but I could live without Saturday delivery. Though in reality I'd prefer to see them skip a different day, like Tuesday or Wednesday. I think the volume is lower on those days anyway, and skpping Saturday could lead to getting "mail bombs" on Monday.

I'm fine with 5-day delivery, but would rather see them cut out Wednesday instead of Saturday. We have a lot of federal holidays when no mail is delivered on Monday, so there will be a few weeks during the year of no mail from Friday until Tuesday. It's been said that cutting a regular work day would impact businesses, but I don't think it would matter that much.

It's been said that cutting a regular work day would impact businesses, but I don't think it would matter that much.

Companies that rely on 6-day a week delivery could sign up for the missing day- at a fee, of course. Or, just send an employee to pick their mail up at the Post Office that day, if they deem it more cost-effective.

I don't care but wonder how some businesses might be affected - businesses like NetFlix, for example. No shipping or receiving on Saturdays means subscribers may have to wait an extra day to get their movie. :cool:

I don't care but wonder how some businesses might be affected - businesses like NetFlix, for example. No shipping or receiving on Saturdays means subscribers may have to wait an extra day to get their movie. :cool:

That's relevant, because soon shipping movies around the country on pieces of plastic (instead off downloading them) will be as archaic as sending sheets of paper with writing on them.

Why not skip Tuesdays or Thurdays instead?

Agreed.

Businesses would still need to get mail Monday through Friday, I imagine--bills and checks. I won't mind passing on the junk mail on Saturday.

Does stopping mail delivery mean the USPS's "retail outlets" (that's what they're calling our local post office now) also won't have any Saturday hours (like our local UPS office doesn't)? Maybe they'll still have Saturday morning hours for shipping packages, buying stamps, etc.

That's relevant, because soon shipping movies around the country on pieces of plastic (instead off downloading them) will be as archaic as sending sheets of paper with writing on them.
So you're saying the "paperless society" we've been hearing about for the past half-century is just around the corner?

Does stopping mail delivery mean the USPS's "retail outlets" (that's what they're calling our local post office now) also won't have any Saturday hours (like our local UPS office doesn't)? Maybe they'll still have Saturday morning hours for shipping packages, buying stamps, etc.
The info I've seen says the PO will still be open on Saturday's, just no mail delivery.

I could care less, but I suppose the direct marketing companies will have a fit.....:)

I'd be perfectly happy with one delivery a week.

Then I'd get all my junk mail on just one day - - easier to throw it out. :rolleyes:

Although we still have Saturday mail delivery, my neighborhood post office is ALREADY closed on Saturdays (since July of this year) and I have to admit that I have walked up on more than one occasion....mostly 'cause I wasn't really thinking about it actually BEING Saturday :LOL:

We're in a city of 180,000 and I'm sure there are other facilities that might be open in the city on Saturday, but their being closed doesn't bother me enough to find out where they are.....or to worry what might become of the world if my junk mail will not be delivered on saturday.....:D

Why are they trying to save money all of a sudden? Create jobs and deliver the mail twice a day.

We're in a city of 180,000 and I'm sure there are other facilities that might be open in the city on Saturday, but their being closed doesn't bother me enough to find out where they are.....or to worry what might become of the world if my junk mail will not be delivered on saturday.....:D
Of course, for people who are retired, Saturday is the day to stay away from places like the Post Office when all the w*rking stiffs are desperately trying to get all their errands run outside their w*rk schedule...

Losing Saturday delivery wouldn't impact me at all. I can wait two more days to receive mostly junk mail.

And our post office is only open from 10:00 till noon on Saturdays anyway. Might as well close it. Maybe add those two hours of open time to a weekday (currently open 9-5 only), so people could stop by to/from work. The other post office in the area is already closed on Saturdays.

Regular offices and businesses that are open Mon-Fri might miss out if a weekday were omitted from the delivery/pick up schedule.

I recall a couple of years ago mailboxes which used to be on every corner were disappearing like phone booths. Now, there's still a few around but not as much.

I recall a couple of years ago mailboxes which used to be on every corner were disappearing like phone booths. Now, there's still a few around but not as much.

Not as much? They are essentially extinct here and have been for many years. I saw one in my area a few years ago and said, "Frank, look! An old-time mailbox!" Then we speculated about who lived there that could have enough sway to get a real mailbox on their block. We wondered if it was actually serviced.

I am quite sure it is the only one in my region.

And our post office is only open from 10:00 till noon on Saturdays anyway. Might as well close it. Maybe add those two hours of open time to a weekday (currently open 9-5 only), so people could stop by to/from work. The other post office in the area is already closed on Saturdays.
That might work too, and solve the working stiff dilemma. Our PO is also open from 10 to noon on Saturday (but only 8:00-4:00 weekdays). Seems like closing on Saturday and closing at 6 or 7 one evening would do the same thing.

I think our PO's hours are wonky; it looks like you have to work 6 days a week to get 40 hours in. I wonder if the employees would prefer to work a longer Monday (for example) in order to get Saturdays off assuming a 30-minute lunch break. As long as the cutbacks didn't screw the people who have to w*rk, it would make sense. What doesn't work for w*rkers is dropping Saturday without adding at least one day with evening hours.

Every time I step into our PO I'm reminded what I like about small town life. Even in the noon hour and on Saturday, there's almost never more than 1-2 people in line.

Heck.... let's save a LOT of money... fire half the work force and have mail delivered twice a week... some places get Mon and Thur and others Tues and Friday.... just like garbage...

They can work longer days to get in their '40'... (if they work that long)... I bet this would save many billions...

I'm more than happy to see a M-F mail service only. I receive so little mail now that I have consolidated accounts and signed up for online delivery, that I wouldn't even notice.

As for outgoing mail, well most post offices are open beyond 9-5 so I can't see any issue with working stiff being able to get there if they have anything to send.

Back
Top Bottom