Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?
I'd miss it a lot. I want mail delivery Mon - Sat no matter what. 4 3.85%
As long as post office is opened on Sat. I don't mind no Sat delivery 18 17.31%
I don't care either way. 14 13.46%
5 day mail delivery is fine. I use other means (email, autopay, etc.) 30 28.85%
5 day mail delivery is fine with me. I mostly get junk mail and bills anyhow. 38 36.54%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How do you feel about 5 day mail delivery?

So, If the USPS goes to 5 day mail delivery, how do you feel about that?

Postal Service's Proposal for 5-Day Delivery in the Mail - AOL News

For me, if I was still w*rking, I'd miss that as back then I liked getting Saturday mail also Saturday was a 'run my errands' day. But now, "Everyday is Saturday" I voted for #2, as long as post office is opened on Sat, I'm fine

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I look forward to getting Time Magazine on Saturdays, but if it gets any thinner they'll just print it on a postcard. Beyond that, 3 day delivery would suit me fine.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

3 days a week (or even less) would be fine with me since there is nothing of major importance that I receive or send by USPS.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
gone traveling

Why not skip Tuesdays or Thurdays instead? That way there wouldn't be a two-day gap in service. After all, they claim to be a customer-driven entity...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:48 AM   #5

I think w*rking stiffs need the PO to be open on Saturdays, but I could live without Saturday delivery. Though in reality I'd prefer to see them skip a different day, like Tuesday or Wednesday. I think the volume is lower on those days anyway, and skpping Saturday could lead to getting "mail bombs" on Monday.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm fine with 5-day delivery, but would rather see them cut out Wednesday instead of Saturday. We have a lot of federal holidays when no mail is delivered on Monday, so there will be a few weeks during the year of no mail from Friday until Tuesday. It's been said that cutting a regular work day would impact businesses, but I don't think it would matter that much.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
It's been said that cutting a regular work day would impact businesses, but I don't think it would matter that much.
Companies that rely on 6-day a week delivery could sign up for the missing day- at a fee, of course. Or, just send an employee to pick their mail up at the Post Office that day, if they deem it more cost-effective.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't care but wonder how some businesses might be affected - businesses like NetFlix, for example. No shipping or receiving on Saturdays means subscribers may have to wait an extra day to get their movie.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I don't care but wonder how some businesses might be affected - businesses like NetFlix, for example. No shipping or receiving on Saturdays means subscribers may have to wait an extra day to get their movie.
That's relevant, because soon shipping movies around the country on pieces of plastic (instead off downloading them) will be as archaic as sending sheets of paper with writing on them.

Quote:
Why not skip Tuesdays or Thurdays instead?
Agreed.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Businesses would still need to get mail Monday through Friday, I imagine--bills and checks. I won't mind passing on the junk mail on Saturday.

Does stopping mail delivery mean the USPS's "retail outlets" (that's what they're calling our local post office now) also won't have any Saturday hours (like our local UPS office doesn't)? Maybe they'll still have Saturday morning hours for shipping packages, buying stamps, etc.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's relevant, because soon shipping movies around the country on pieces of plastic (instead off downloading them) will be as archaic as sending sheets of paper with writing on them.
So you're saying the "paperless society" we've been hearing about for the past half-century is just around the corner?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Does stopping mail delivery mean the USPS's "retail outlets" (that's what they're calling our local post office now) also won't have any Saturday hours (like our local UPS office doesn't)? Maybe they'll still have Saturday morning hours for shipping packages, buying stamps, etc.
The info I've seen says the PO will still be open on Saturday's, just no mail delivery.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

let me print a copy of this first.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I could care less, but I suppose the direct marketing companies will have a fit.....

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
Administrator

I'd be perfectly happy with one delivery a week.

Then I'd get all my junk mail on just one day - - easier to throw it out.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Although we still have Saturday mail delivery, my neighborhood post office is ALREADY closed on Saturdays (since July of this year) and I have to admit that I have walked up on more than one occasion....mostly 'cause I wasn't really thinking about it actually BEING Saturday

We're in a city of 180,000 and I'm sure there are other facilities that might be open in the city on Saturday, but their being closed doesn't bother me enough to find out where they are.....or to worry what might become of the world if my junk mail will not be delivered on saturday.....
Old 03-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Why are they trying to save money all of a sudden? Create jobs and deliver the mail twice a day.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
We're in a city of 180,000 and I'm sure there are other facilities that might be open in the city on Saturday, but their being closed doesn't bother me enough to find out where they are.....or to worry what might become of the world if my junk mail will not be delivered on saturday.....
Of course, for people who are retired, Saturday is the day to stay away from places like the Post Office when all the w*rking stiffs are desperately trying to get all their errands run outside their w*rk schedule...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Losing Saturday delivery wouldn't impact me at all. I can wait two more days to receive mostly junk mail.

And our post office is only open from 10:00 till noon on Saturdays anyway. Might as well close it. Maybe add those two hours of open time to a weekday (currently open 9-5 only), so people could stop by to/from work. The other post office in the area is already closed on Saturdays.

Regular offices and businesses that are open Mon-Fri might miss out if a weekday were omitted from the delivery/pick up schedule.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I recall a couple of years ago mailboxes which used to be on every corner were disappearing like phone booths. Now, there's still a few around but not as much.