Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Do You Feel About Your Upcoming Death
Old 02-25-2006, 11:02 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

One thing that comes up every now and then at work is cryogenics- without any guarantee of success, would you want to be cryogenically frozen when you die?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not fear death. I fear the long, protracted hovering between this plane and the next with the mind gone or even worse, the body gone and the mind active.
I know of a young, beautiful woman who has stage 3 ovarian and they tell me the survival rate is only 20% for 5 years and when her time comes, as it will for us all, I just hope this country has come to its senses about being able to voluntarily end one's own suffering, should they choose.
I know many a healthy senior who has a little stash of medicine that taken by their doctor's direction has improved the quality of their lives but when they are beyond help with some ultimately terminal condition , they can take care of that too.
Dr. Kevorkian was a political prisoner. WITH THE PROPER SAFEGUARDS IN PLACE, people should have the right to decide how much pain they want to endure.

Old 02-26-2006, 08:22 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Carpe Diem.* The only way to accept it is to "carpe diem."

Still hoping to make my 100th birthday, then drink a bottle of wine, get laid, jog around the block, then drop dead.* I'll let you know how it turns out.*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
I had to face that on Christmas eve 2005 when the doctor said you have cancer in your kidney and enlarged lymph nodes from the spleen and you have a spot in your lung.

Humm, Doc? Does that mean I'm a dead man walking?

I only fear being in a bed with no control over my fate. Apologies to all but I want to be , "the captain of my ship and the master of my fate".

It does irk me that the damn gov't gets to keep my Soc. Sec and my life's savings will probably be eaten up by dying instead of living.
I don't know if I could have handled your situation as well as you.

Takes lot's of guts.

MJ
Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #25

MJ,
I'm not so sure I've handled it well at all. I went along with everything the doctor recommended. I've felt lower than low and believe me, I look scary (drained of life).

But, I've got no alternatives. Like you, I chose to be alone and that suited/suits me well.

It's nice waking up alive. I enjoy life. But, death is part of life. I'll be ready.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Keep your chin up OAP. Only the good die young.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:16 AM   #27

CFB,
as bad as I am, looks like I may live to 100.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

That was my thinking. Just make sure you dont stop being bad news... I'm pretty sure the grim reapers ass can be kicked...I've seen it done twice in movies

Although apparently he can defeat King Midas...
http://www.grudge-match.com/History/midas-reaper.shtml
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #29

I do not intend to go quietly into that goodnight.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How Do You Feel About Your Upcoming Death
I feel that I should be totally surprised. And not in a "Hey, Bubba, hold my beer & watch this!" manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
Apparently I have a fabulous prostate
Well, that's at least #2 on my list of things you don't want to hear from your proctologist.

"Hey, guys, c'mon over here and check this out-- it's fabulous!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I wonder why they call them proctologists? Wouldnt "Astronaut" be more appropriate?
Old 02-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpax7
I just hope this country has come to its senses about being able to voluntarily end one's own suffering, should they choose.
I know many a healthy senior who has a little stash of medicine that taken by their doctor's direction has improved the quality of their lives but when they are beyond help with some ultimately terminal condition , they can take care of that too.
Dr. Kevorkian was a political prisoner. WITH THE PROPER SAFEGUARDS IN PLACE, people should have the right to decide how much pain they want to endure.
You might be interested in this organization:

http://www.compassionandchoices.org/

Which supports right to die legislative efforts and provides end of life counseling.

Grumpy
Old 02-27-2006, 03:02 AM   #33

I don't know how I feel..

I know a little about how my mom feels. She's in her mid-70s. My sister was living in LA and they got to see each other about once a year. At one point, I was with my mom and just out of the blue she got a little teary (she's usually a stoical Yankee).

She said: "you know, I'll probably see your sister about ten more times in my life..." THAT really got to me. It's easy to think of ten years as a long time, but she was using a far more important yardstick.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #34

Man is the only animal that knows he will die someday. How does this knowledge affect me? I experienced the death of most of my extended family before I was 14 years old. I was a volunteer Fire and Resuce EMT for several years and worked in Emergency Rooms and hospitals too. Death was never far away so you get to know it pretty well.

Death is not on option. When you die can be for some but is not for most of us. Some of us seem to have a clock that is running backwards and when it gets to zero we die. We can do some really crazy stuff and we sneak past death because our "time" is not up yet. We just don't know when the clock will stop. It could be today...heart attack, car accident, airplane crash, or whatever. Or we could keep on keeping on for 20, 30, 40 or 50 more years. It is the unknown time of this event that keeps us on edge; not the fact that it will happen someday. It it the how and when of it. Will it be painful? Will it be messy? Will I go before my SO? How will it feel? Will I have done all that I wanted to before it happens? Will I have regrets? Will I be ready for the deep sleep? Will it be welcome? These are some of the questions that come to mind.

I would like to think that I will have no regrets and that I will be ready anytime death is ready to take me. I would like to think I will have done all of the important stuff I wanted to do while alive. I would like to outlive my wife. Having done that once already I know what to expect and how to survive it; I would not wish that on anyone, especially someone I love.

My death will most likely be heart related. Family history says that is my highest probability. Anything else would be a suprise. Am I ready today? In some ways yes and in others no. I have some things left to experience in the world, like my unborn grandkids. I don't dwell on my death. My affairs are in order so the financial aspects of it are not a concern. When it comes I will be disappointed but not afraid. I have many people I will enjoy being with again on the other side.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 AM   #35

SteveR,
thanks for mentioning that "affairs are in order". It is a great comfort knowing you've done right by your survivors.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Man is the only animal that knows he will die someday.
Steve,

And you know this how?

Grumpy
Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm fairly young (28), but I like to think I've made my peace with the world.* A few years ago, I had a scare with cancer, but it turned out to be benign.* Of course, there are many things I would still like to see and do, but nothing that would make me feel like I'd really missed out.* I've made a positive impact on quite a few people's lives and had some good times.* I've travelled and seen and done things many people don't do in a full lifespan.

My bigger fear is a protracted, degenerative condition and I believe assisted suicide should be legal.

I've been pretty fortunate over the last 20 or so years and not lost anyone really close to me (besides pets).* I lost 2 grandparents at a young age and 1 was gone before I was born.* My last grandparent is 81 and in her twilight.* Last spring, I spent a week with her in Yuma, AZ just in case it's the last chance I get to spend extended time with her.* My dad will be 63 and probably won't be around in 10 years ( lifelong smoker and not a generally healthy person ).
Old 02-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Man is the only animal that knows he will die someday. How does this knowledge affect me?
That we know of. I have to think there is a reason dove migrate to a different part of the county prior to bird season, i.e. season is not open in that part, and deer hide more in hunting season. Just because they cannot comunicate their thoughts does not mean they do not have them. Not trying to be difficult, it just got me to thinking, besides I am not sure I want to dwell on the primary question of this thread.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:25 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc0029
My bigger fear is a protracted, degenerative condition and I believe assisted suicide should be legal.
There are times when I want nothing less than full mobility & sentience with a 9mm healthcare plan.

There are other times when I think of Stephen Hawking, Christopher Reeves, Muhammed Ali, Michael J. Fox... people who arguably have risen to the challenge and maybe even exceeded their life's prior accomplishments... and I think "Why not stick around for a while & see where this goes?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #40

All those people are wealthy with no worries about the paid health care team. Try being Stephen Hawkings and living in a trailer in Arizona with no AC.