Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Do You Feel About Your Upcoming Death
Old 02-27-2006, 12:41 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

A coworker's father died of Alzheimer's disease not long ago. He spent the last three years in a nursing home. He didn't know he was in a home. He thought he was the boss in a factory. He had stories that made sense of everything that went on around him. Once he fell out of his wheelchair and was found lying on the floor of his bathroom. A nurse came by and asked him what he was doing on the floor. He said "checking the plumbing."

Not a bad way to go; oblivious to reality.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

JG went that-a-way.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
A coworker's father died of Alzheimer's disease not long ago.* ...

Not a bad way to go; oblivious to reality.*
Maybe not for him but it is hell for family members. *My mother is in Assisted Living and is still there mentally but the other inmates vary all over the place in their grasp of reality. *It is sad to see the effect this has on their family especially when they don't even recognize their own spouse anymore. *
Old 02-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #44

My greatest fear about death was told to me by one of my coworkers about a friend of his wife's.

This woman has no living relatives, was doing well on her own until she fell and broke her hip. After a recuperation in the hospital and then a stay in a nursing home she now has dementia and this fellows wife is her healthcare guardian and executor of her will. *He went on to say how sad it was that she was alone with only his wife to handle things for her. * I truly fear ending up like that, having had no children of my own and a husband 12 years my senior. *Dh tries to reassure me that his kids will be there for me but I figure unless the see a big chunk of change coming down the pike from me they won't bother.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #45

Quote:
A coworker's father died of Alzheimer's disease not long ago. He spent the last three years in a nursing home. He didn't know he was in a home. He thought he was the boss in a factory. He had stories that made sense of everything that went on around him. Once he fell out of his wheelchair and was found lying on the floor of his bathroom. A nurse came by and asked him what he was doing on the floor. He said "checking the plumbing."

Not a bad way to go; oblivious to reality.

Martha, this guy is my new role model- thx.

and OAP - I haven't laughed so hard at a one-liner here ever. Where is old JG, anyway?

Old 02-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

His post count exceeded his IQ and he squirted out of the known universe like a watermellon seed. He's now one with the cosmos.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 8
His post count exceeded his IQ and he squirted out of the known universe like a watermellon seed.* He's now one with the cosmos.
Shhhhhhh... he's still dropping by to check these boards, and he's been posting over at Raddr's.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

How unfortunate for them. I'll have to send flowers.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:00 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Funny you should ask - just got back from the lawyer drafting my new Missouri will.

Have prepaid my cremation and written detailed instructions for my Viking funeral.

Still need to iron out some details - found some purveyors of Mead on the internet - is it worth the trouble? - or should I pencil in kegs of beer for the drinkers and coffee for the non drink crowd. I passed on the wooden boat/flaming arrows even though we know enough fisherman/bow hunters. Everything is high tech composite now a days.

End of the week - should be all set to croak - and then Bon Temps Rolliere until the time arrives.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:22 PM   #50

unclemick2,
can I get an invitation? I want to rape and pillage.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I honestly don't worry about my own death, but I do hope that DH and I die in a common catastrophe. I don't know if either of us can survive scattering the other's ashes.

Old 02-27-2006, 05:04 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Still need to iron out some details - found some purveyors of Mead on the internet - is it worth the trouble? - or should I pencil in kegs of beer for the drinkers and coffee for the non drink crowd.

End of the week - should be all set to croak - and then Bon Temps Rolliere until the time arrives.

heh heh heh
Martinelli's Sparkling Cider is always a hit at our festive occasions. Heheheh
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:11 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinyjenn
I honestly don't worry about my own death, but I do hope that DH and I die in a common catastrophe. I don't know if either of us can survive scattering the other's ashes.
Yes! DW and I want to be holding each other in bed when a comet makes a direct hit and obliterates us - scattering our ashes - no cremation expense! ....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Unclemick...barenjager (may be misspelled) is a honey liquer with "other stuff" in it that isnt too far off from "mead", although its more of a high octane liquer than the beer-like mead. Available in any store. I vaguely remember having a lot of sex after drinking it. Sometimes there were even other people involved.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:16 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer 8
Unclemick...barenjager (may be misspelled) is a honey liquer with "other stuff" in it that isnt too far off from "mead", although its more of a high octane liquer than the beer-like mead. Available in any store. I vaguely remember having a lot of sex after drinking it. Sometimes there were even other people involved.
Well then, he should place his order to be delivered BEFORE his funeral!
Old 02-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #56

Quote:
A coworker's father died of Alzheimer's disease not long ago.... Not a bad way to go; oblivious to reality.
i can not imagine a more horrible or undeserved death than alzheimer's. fortunately my mother had the best care givers possible, her loving children. i will have to adopt care givers for me if that is my fate. i've already named them, smith & wesson.

one of the last complete sentences in lucidity mom said to me was "this is horrendous." and then she asked, "what can you do?" i sat down besides her and said "mom, there is nothing i can do." mom looked at me and said "i don't know what i can do either."

now mom is out of words, she tries to talk but it is all gibberish. she is no longer ambulatory. 85% of such people die within 6 months. we've been with her as she's deteriorated over the past 12 years. i said to her last week, "mom, i know you are trying to tell me something but when you talk there are no words, only sounds that seem like sentences but no words, just sounds. i'm so sorry this has happened to you." mom stared right into my face. i could see her struggling. she opened her mouth to talk. i was expecting more gibberish. in a weak & raspy but careful voice she said "i'm sorry for you." we sat in silence for a moment and then she went back into gibberish.

you think it is oblivion? you think it is not a bad way to go? you think just because someone can not communicate in a way you understand that they do not understand? well, good for you.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

At least I won't have to go to work the next day.

Gypsy,

Still labouring in the fields of mamon and wondering, is all this worth it?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:51 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i can not imagine a more horrible or undeserved death than alzheimer's.

you think it is oblivion? you think it is not a bad way to go? you think just because someone can not communicate in a way you understand that they do not understand? well, good for you.
I can't argue with those sentiments, but Thomas DeBaggio managed to write not just one but two books on the subject from the first-person perspective.

Maybe it was therapy, but apparently he felt that he had more to contribute.* He's been a tremendous activist for the disease and as recently as 18 months ago was still giving interviews.

Again, I think the human instinct for self-preservation is pretty strong. I'd find myself thinking "Why not stick around for a while and see what happens next?"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think the human instinct for self-preservation is pretty strong.* I'd find myself thinking "Why not stick around for a while and see what happens next?"
we caregivers have a saying: "once you've seen one person with alzheimer's, you've seen one person with alzheimer's." it runs a general course but not always such a predictable one. mom was very smart, funny lady, optimistic, positive, enthusiastic and sincere. it seems to me that she was able to tap into a lot of that so when one part of the brain was destroyed she accessed other parts. with family help we kept her "independent" for very long time. even now, in stage 7 of 7, her abilities are remarkable. still, there is no stopping it. she is completely incontinent both of bladder and bowel, nonambulatory & soon she will lose even her ability to smile.

i'm familiar with the author but haven't read the books to which you refer. do they mention how he can no longer bathe himself? how people strip him everyday? how strangers wipe his ass for him? does it mention choking on food because his body forgets how to swallow? does it mention what it is like to no longer learn in life? to no longer grow in life? because that is the inevitable progress of this disease. i would wish anyone the best in their decisions and would help where i can but i have no intention to wait for any of that for myself.

still, we are taking mom out to lunch tomorrow. we have yet to give up this ship. i'll have the facility double bag her (depends). you should see the heads turn when we enter the restaurant. it used to be because we looked so good.* now it is because we are so tragic. well, ya do what you can do while you can do as long as you don't wait too long.

peace

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:33 AM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

His post count exceeded his IQ and he squirted out of the known universe like a watermellon seed.* He's now one with the cosmos.

Have you seen him lately?*
MDW is offline   Reply With Quote