Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another keepass user, plus minikeepass on the iphone. I keep my encrypted database in the cloud, so I'm using the same database on the home pc, the work pc, the ipad and both iphones.

Another plus is that there's a version that doesn't need to be installed so it can even be run off a thumb drive. That was handy when megacorp wiped all non-approved software off my work machine the other week.

Edit: I checked and I have 150 entries in the database, including 36 work-related entries that will go away once I RE.

Plus: I got a chuckle the other day when I called the local library because I was having login troubles. When the librarian logged into my account I heard a long pause, then she said to someone near her desk, "What's that ? It can't be his password!" Then I knew I had forgotten that I'd used keepass to generate a random password. She didn't know quite what to make of something like ilO,p!HnTpvNP.X@HnRD as a password!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That's poor practice if they can see your password, luckily it's only preventing someone from checking out books in your name. The best practice is for them to only keep a salted hash of the password. That's why most of the time, the password reset process involves them creating a new password, sending it to you, and then you are forced to change it.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:25 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Sengsational, that was a good description of what's going on with LastPass.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #44

I used Keepass, but found it cumbersome. I moved over to LastPass about a year ago and have been very happy. I pay the $10/year, since I use it on multiple devices and want to support its development.

I'd also recommend enabling two factor authentication. This way even if somebody does figure out my LastPass password, they still can't get to my other passwords.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
I just got the Yubikey, a Google product, that works with Lastpass and Chrome.
I think YubiCo is a separate company. Per their website, they're privately held: https://www.yubico.com/about

I think the YubiKey works with several other companies' products, like Google's and LastPass', but YubiCo is a separate company from them.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
That's poor practice if they can see your password, luckily it's only preventing someone from checking out books in your name. The best practice is for them to only keep a salted hash of the password. That's why most of the time, the password reset process involves them creating a new password, sending it to you, and then you are forced to change it.
I couldn't agree more, and that experience reinforced in me why it's so important not to use the same password for all accounts.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:41 AM   #47

How do you keep track of passwords?

I always use the same password for non financial sites.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

1Password, but I don't copy or sync it through any cloud service. In case of disaster and something happening to me, DW has my master password in her 1Password, and vice versa. I also have our master passwords on paper (but not identified) buried in a file cabinet as an additional fallback. My multiple redundant backup scheme also assures that our encrypted password files are never lost.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
I think YubiCo is a separate company. Per their website, they're privately held: https://www.yubico.com/about

I think the YubiKey works with several other companies' products, like Google's and LastPass', but YubiCo is a separate company from them.
I stand corrected. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I used Keepass, but found it cumbersome. I moved over to LastPass about a year ago and have been very happy. I pay the $10/year, since I use it on multiple devices and want to support its development.

I'd also recommend enabling two factor authentication. This way even if somebody does figure out my LastPass password, they still can't get to my other passwords.
Nope. Didn't find Keepass cumbersome at all; in fact, just the opposite, quite easy and robust. Lastpass, OTOH, has been breached, as they found "suspicious activity" on their network.

See this: https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/la...y-notice.html/

I predicted this and that's why I went with Keepass; info stays in my control.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #51

Lastpass hacked. This is why I elected not to use the cloud for password storage. (Having said that, I think it is impossible to be "safe". I heard on NPR 60-80% of SS numbers are already compromised). I am using 2-factor as much as possible for the sites where I can.

If you use LP, I suggest you open the link as they have suggestions for how to proceed.

Time to change your master password, LastPass was hacked
Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #52

I try to remember a few passwords, those I use quite often. The rest I keep on two pieces of paper, torn in half (half of the password on each page). I have these squirreled away in different locations.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I've been using a system for probably two years now, and it is working well for me. No reliance on any tech. I usually find that a system that starts out OK sometimes falls apart after 6 months or so, so I'm confident this one is 'here to stay' for me. Here's a basic description of my system, you could modify in many ways for your own use:

A) I created a prefix that is ~ 5 char long, a mix of upper case, lower case, and numbers.

B) I created a suffix that is ~ 5 char long, lower case (to avoid multiple SHIFT key operations) and numbers.

C) A & B are committed to memory (also written down away from the computer) - they are short enough and the mnemonic is easy for me to remember.

D) For every site that I feel I need security, I have a log of the site address (or just a reminder of what it would be), and I create a unique, short, simple 'key' for that site - like local bank might be "lclbnk" - I write down that "key", as "-lclbnk-" and it is of no use to anyone, because the actual PW is my prefix&lclbnk&suffix. And the combined PW is pretty complex, yet simple to recall.

E) For sites where I don't really care about security, I use a common, easy to remember and type PW with a mix of U/L and numbers, so it works at almost every site.

Works for me.

-ERD50
Old 06-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I use a password program which keeps an encrypted file on the computer. Passwords randomly generated.

No way could I use a mnemonic. One problem with that is that some sites require a special character. Others do not. Some want at least 8 chars. Some want longer. Too taxing for me .

Of course, the risk in having the passwords on a file, nothing is safe from theft and decryption (just ask the British spies from the decrypted Snowden files ).
Old 06-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Another security measure I've been taking is putting better challenge question answers.

For example, to reset a password using an answer like "Spot" as the name of your first is kind of self-defeating .

So, instead of "Spot", I'd use "Spot" plus a randomly generated pin number.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

No way could I use a mnemonic. One problem with that is that some sites require a special character. Others do not. Some want at least 8 chars. Some want longer. Too taxing for me . ...
I've had almost zero problems with my method (if that was directed to my post). Since my prefix and suffix combined use both upper and lower case and numbers, the short 'key' can contain a 'special' char (like "#") if required ("lclbnk#"). I don't use 'special' chars in the prefix/suffix, in case the site does not allow those.

The only problem I've had is my combo was too long for one site (odd as the prefix-suffix combined are only 8-10 chars) - so for that one, I just dropped the suffix, and my cheat sheet just says " - mykey", instead of " - mykey - ".

EZ, and the complete passwords do not exist in any form. The prefix and suffix are not stored on my computer, or on any paper near the 'keys'.

-ERD50
Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

2nd factor authentication is, alas, still necessary, as the bad guys are developing ways of intercepting passwords. Obviously, local hoodlums won't crack them, but organized crime and malevolent governments may have that power in the future
Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #58

I use Lastpass.

I also save my password in the web browser for non-essential sites.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I've had almost zero problems with my method (if that was directed to my post). Since my prefix and suffix combined use both upper and lower case and numbers, the short 'key' can contain a 'special' char (like "#") if required ("lclbnk#"). I don't use 'special' chars in the prefix/suffix, in case the site does not allow those.

The only problem I've had is my combo was too long for one site (odd as the prefix-suffix combined are only 8-10 chars) - so for that one, I just dropped the suffix, and my cheat sheet just says " - mykey", instead of " - mykey - ".

EZ, and the complete passwords do not exist in any form. The prefix and suffix are not stored on my computer, or on any paper near the 'keys'.

-ERD50
No. Wasn't directed to your post. What works fine for one person doesn't for another.

I have a brother who uses the one password method. . You know, the same password across accounts. But he really doesn't use the computer for stuff like online banking. So, I guess things balance out.