Join Early Retirement Today

How do you LBYM?
Old 10-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How do you LBYM?

The thread about using a Rolodex for passwords reminded me, for some reason I really like the sound of "I'm a multi-millionaire who cuts his own hair!"

I paid $28 for a pair of cordless, waterproof Remington clippers, and I've been buzzing my own hair with them every week or two for over two years now. That's at least 50 haircuts for maybe the price of two, if I didn't tip well....and I usually do!

So, how are you frugal? What little things do you routinely do to save a buck...or a penny?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #2

Brew my own beer.
Wash my car at home.
Wear clothes until they embarrass the wife.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
Brew my own beer.
Wash my car at home.
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
Wear clothes until they embarrass the wife.
Wait...are you saving on new clothes, or on detergent??
But seriously, I still have some work clothes from 20 years ago, but I have enough that I only wear them once every week or two. I did rotate in some new ones and rotate out some old ones when I lost ~70 lbs., though!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LBYM always meant to me to put $$ in savings first, then arrange budget for what was left.

We still clip coupons, eat at home more than out, reduce/reuse/recycle, use FF miles for travel, hair cuts at discount places rather than "salon", use our library instead of buying books/movies. Lots of ways to spend less if you want too.
Luckily, our retirement budget allows for many splurges also!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
T
I paid $28 for a pair of cordless, waterproof Remington clippers, and I've been buzzing my own hair with them every week or two for over two years now. That's at least 50 haircuts for maybe the price of two, if I didn't tip well....and I usually do!

So, how are you frugal? What little things do you routinely do to save a buck...or a penny?
Yes! Just bought hair clippers and I cut DH hair now

-DH dyes my hair with L'Oreal $8.99 color. Used to spend at least $70 + tip (more with haircut) at hairdresser every 6 weeks.

-My sweaters get fabric fuzz that makes them look old. I take a razor and comb the sweaters. Look new!

-Take my old Merrell's (suede) to the dry cleaners. They look new after literally 8 years old.
Great thread, keep the ideas coming.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #6
gone traveling

Never put much of our assets & spending into a place to live.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Oops, wrong thread. LBYM is not for me.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I make my own avocado with toast instead of buying it at the trendy bistro downtown.

I play video games instead of watch movies, where a $5-60 investment gives me 20-200+ hours of entertainment instead of 90-180 minutes.

I have a motorcycle instead of a supercar, which cost 15x less and goes just as fast. It is a little annoying replacing the tires twice a year though. Not sure if supercars have the same problem.

I go to the $10/month gym over the expensive club that has all the amenities I'll never use. I thought about saving even more working out at home, but I like the energy and atmosphere at a gym better.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #9

LBYM isnt something I quantify by one off things I do. Its a lifestyle choice, which includes everything. Wife and I are not impulse buyers, we dont have new vehicles, We dont eat out much, etc etc. Basically, we do not try to keep up with anyone. We save/invest as much as we can while still enjoying life, traveling, doing the things we want to do.

We're 36/35...have 1mil+ invested/saved, not including home. We like the fact that we can buy something if we want, without thinking about it. And we sleep better at night not having debt. But, we do not look as cool since our cars are dated and we do not always dress like we're headed to a red carpet event.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We drive our cars forever, use coupons or happy hour food deals, wear our clothes for years, shop car/house insurance every 2 years, only get dogs groomed and our own haircuts every 3 months, don’t buy expensive electronic gadgets such as Apple watches. My smart watch cost 50. We do own expensive phones but use them until they die.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post

I started playing wilson chaos golf balls - they are about $15 for 2 dozen
Old 10-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
Administrator

Mow my own lawn.
Do my own car maintenance and repairs.
Wash my own cars.
Keep cars more than 200,000 miles.
Do as much of my own interior painting, light carpentry, electrical, plumbing and other home repairs as possible.
Favor repairing over replacing.
Take (took) my lunch to work every day.
Eat leftovers.
Wear the same basic wardrobe for years.
Use coupons.
Shop at Goodwill.
Avoid the latest electronic gadgets.
Shave with a straight razor
Don't go to professional sporting events.
Never paid interest on a credit card.
Never cash out refinanced my mortgage

I also do the following, but I'm not sure they actually save us any money:

Make my own beer
Make my own soap
Grown our own vegetables and preserve them (canning, drying, etc)
Old 10-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

We do buy nice stuff but we keep it forever. Cars go beyond 10 years and 150k miles. Computers from 2010. Pro level camera gear, but over 10 years old, most purchased used. We’ve recently cut back on eating out. We cook in large batches at home and freeze for the coming weeks. A once or twice weekly we’ll fire up the Weber and grill some fish.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #14

Oh, we rarely bother washing our cars. When we do, we do it ourselves. Haven’t paid for a car wash in years.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Oh, we rarely bother washing our cars. When we do, we do it ourselves. Haven’t paid for a car wash in years.

Same! I got a shop vac for my birthday one year, and I use that to vacuum out the interiors once or twice a year, and I usually clean the insides of the windows at that time, too. The exteriors get a "wash" when it rains!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
I once lived next to a man who daily would go out with just a wet rag and go over his car. No soap, no fancy Mguires special concoction. Just water and 5 minutes. I have never seen a car looking so clean except at car shows. It was awe inspiring how little effort it took.

I haven't washed my car in 3 years except to keep the windows clear, and that's a once-a-year duty.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Instead if an itemized list, we almost always:
  • Do for ourselves instead of hiring someone for everything, like being a DIY investor. These days between the internet and YouTube we can learn to do a lot for ourselves, and it also shows when we should pay a professional. I enjoy being more resourceful than most people I know, and learning new skills. As we get older, we may have to pay professionals more often, there are some significant home and yard expenses I've tackled lately that I might not be able to do in 10-20 years.
  • Shop services like insurance, TV-entertainment, lawn care, etc. to make sure you're getting value (often not the cheapest or most expensive IME)
  • We tend to buy quality, and keep the item until it's broken beyond repair. I replaced a TV after 19 years, my printer is almost that old, etc. I nursed 25 years out of our last washing machine, by doing a $9 and a $20 repair myself. Most people I know would have bought a new washing machine, not knowing the old one could be fixed with a $9 part and a free step by step DIY YouTube video that took less than 30 minutes. With few exceptions, we keep our cars 8-11 years. My stories like that are endless.
  • We're big believers in reduce, reuse first and then foremost and recycle, re-purpose, compost, donate. Our weekly trash will fit in 1 or 2 standard grocery paper bags most weeks, we have neighbors who routinely fill a 95 gal or even two 95 gal trash cans.
  • Our thermostat is set at 67 days/62 nights in winter and 76 in summer and it's off with windows open where possible, mostly spring and fall.
  • We have a budget and track every expense, so we're conscious of our personal spending on non essentials. We pare back when we're going over, but we don't deny ourselves splurges here and there, life's too short.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #18

Wash our own cars, cut our own grass, get the Taco Bell 2 pm to 5 pm special freezes. Always looking for the deal. Life is good.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Wash my own cars
Clean my house
Haircut at discount place
Cricket phone lines
Sling TV
DIY Investing
Budget and track every expense

Not too much else, but feel good about the above
Old 10-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Simple, we do not spend more than we need to in order to maintain a great above average Standard of Living. Stash/30 + Interest and SS (When we decide to take it) = What we spend and not more. Honestly, it is not a fortune but we could not spend it all if we tried, unless we were completely Frivolous and wasted money for the sake of it, which we do not.