Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How do you record streaming video?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How do you record streaming video?

I could not find the answer (at least not straightforwardly) to this question after several tries on Google and much reading. I don't see it addressed in my search of this site.

So, has anyone got advice on how to record a streaming video, say a YouTube vid, directly onto the PC.

For instance, I use "justin.tv" to watch college basketball, and some of the East coast games are early in the day, so I'd like to record and watch later.

Anyone know how this can be done?
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a software program called Freecorder. But I don't know of any software that will link up to some kind of online programming guide to give you a "tivo" service.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #3

The "Unplug" add-on for Firefox makes this very easy, at least for Youtube and various joke sites. I have never tried it on sports shows.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #4

Thank you to you both. I did download Freecorder and the Unplug add-on. So using both I was able to:
1. Download a YouTube video and it got saved as a .flv file which Window Media Player, of course, would not play.
2. Played the video using Freecorder.

So thanks. But would you not think Windows could figure out how to make Media Player play the absolute most popular videos on the internet? Unreal.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I use Media Converter - the fastest free online audio and video converter for recording to the PC.

Quote:
But would you not think Windows could figure out how to make Media Player play the absolute most popular videos on the internet? Unreal.
Unreal but typical.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Probably much more sophisticated than you are looking for but I use Total Recorder. This program goes way beyond what you are asking for.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #7

Actually that Total Recorder looks great for $53, and now that I brought this subject up, the wife would like to record some of the PBS shows and some of the cooking shows. So this looks like a nice piece of software.

Does it have a steep learning curve?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Does it have a steep learning curve?
Not particularly. My grandson, when he was ten, picked it up right away -- he would record YouTube clips and put them on his MP3 player.

On the other hand, the program has an extensive Help file; a 254 page PDF file. And the publishers has the most knowledgable people working the Support Desk of any company I have ever dealt with.

I will also point out the "add-on"s to the program. The Audio Restoration Add-on did an excellent job when I converted our Record collection to digital format -- particularly the old 78s from the 30s and 40s. It was a snap to adjust the "filters" to get rid of the pops and hisses without causing a deterioration in the music itself.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

This may interest you:

Giveaway of the Day - YouTube MP3 Downloader

This is a website that provides a download of high quality commercial software during a 24-hour period for free. I looked at this late today so, at this moment, there is only ~11 hours left in the window.,

I have downloaded several programs from here and it is the "real deal."

The restrictions are:

Quote:

Please note that the software you download and install during the Giveaway period comes with the following important limitations:
  1. No free technical support
  2. No free upgrades to future versions
  3. Strictly personal usage
and you do have to download AND INSTALL the program during the 24-hour period.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #10

Thanks for that website and MP3 converter, very nice to know about the giveaways.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

But check out the reviews of the giveaway downloader. They are mostly 1 star, with comments like "we need a 0 stars option."
Old 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
But check out the reviews of the giveaway downloader. They are mostly 1 star, with comments like "we need a 0 stars option."
I haven't (didn't) look at the reviews but the downloader is merely the delivery conduit. Once you download the product, you deal directly with the software publisher.

I will admit that the downloader has a somewhat complex set of rules and the software registration is somewhat irritating but I just assumed this was for assuring the publisher that it was a marketing device and not a method of cheating them out of sales.

Nevertheless, over the past six months or so, I have only downloaded two or three programs so I am certainly not an expert on this service. I am, however, completely satisfied in every way with the outcome of each transaction... including the quality of the software.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
So thanks. But would you not think Windows could figure out how to make Media Player play the absolute most popular videos on the internet? Unreal.
The current Media Player is *&^). Media Player Classic is much smaller, faster, and plays about everything, including .flv.

Player for all media files (.avi, .wmv, .flv, .mp3, .rm, etc)
Windows Media Player Classic
Free-Codecs.com :: Download Media Player Classic 6.4.9.1 : Media Player Classic is an enhanced version of Media Player 6.4

Codecs for all media types for Media Player Classic
KLite Codec Pack Standard
Free-Codecs.com : Download K-Lite Codec Pack 5.6.1 FULL, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.6.1 STANDARD, K-Lite Codec Pack 5.6.1 BASIC : K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools
Old 02-03-2010, 05:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
and you do have to download AND INSTALL the program during the 24-hour period.
Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but that part smacks of a zero-day attack. Along the same lines of "This deal is only good for today!"

Horsefeathers. If it's a good deal today it'll be a good deal next week.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but that part smacks of a zero-day attack. Along the same lines of "This deal is only good for today!"

Horsefeathers. If it's a good deal today it'll be a good deal next week.
That is correct -- the "deal" is only good for that day. Now, it may very well become available again, in the future, but, in six months, I have not seen a repeat. (But don't let me take away your paranoia -- blessed are the Pessimists for they make back-ups.)

Again, let me point out that the company we are talking about is giveawayoftheday.com and not the software publisher.

For a complete explanation of this distributer/publisher relationship go here

but the basic premise is:
Quote:
Giveaway of the day – new opportunity for software developer

Welcome to our unique software distribution initiative, which will provide you with an easy and risk-free method to build additional user base and spread your excellent software around the world.

Our initiative includes a complex of different services that will help you in informing potential customers about your software titles and promote them in a safe and reliable way.

Our services include:
  1. Software reviews
  2. Advertising
  3. Press-releases service
  4. Direct contact with potential customers through publisher’s software available for downloads, interviews with publishers, and newsletters.
  5. And the last but not least – our Giveaway of the day.
What do these giveaways mean?

Basically, our visitors will be able to download the software product for free, under specific Terms and Conditions, which limit the software usage to non-commercial only, and may also limit software updates and technical support.
First and foremost, you have an absolute guarantee that you will be paid for your software, even when the software is distributed within a special Giveaway of the day offer. Our company will pay you for your software, thus protecting you from software piracy.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

To drag this out even longer (a hijack should be a complete hijack)

This is today's Giveaway: Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2009 Special Edition - All-in-one suite to completely protect, maintain and manage your PC - Hard Disk Manager (HDM)!

This is the Publisher's Website featuring that product:

Hard Disk Manager Suite – complete system management | PARAGON Software Group - disk partitioning, resize partition

Looks like a quality product to me. (No, I don't know why the $39/$49 price discrepancy.)

UPDATE: The pricing difference is a coupon found at http://www.softwarediscountcodes.com...skmanager.html

(Ain't Google great!)