Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2008, 03:06 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
I was driving home from the beach today, enjoying retirement, DW & I went bicycle riding in Marina del Rey & Venice CA and left early to *try* to avoid LA traffic.
If you see a great big middle-aged guy plodding along on a cross bike, it might be me. I ride thru that area regularly.

As far as distractions go, I was on the Amtrak train that was stuck in Oakland 3 hours when a guy committed suicide (gun to the head) in one of the sleeper cars last week. Police, coroner, even some yellow tape. I was a day late for the Compton Blue Line station shootings though (3 dead), one stop before I get off.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
at least the the cat litter box is cleaner than the rest of the bathroom.
-
That's what I noticed, too. Cats will try to be fastidious no matter how bad it gets; they leave poo on top only if it's impossibly filthy beneath. Cat abuse!

Old 09-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
at least the the cat litter box is cleaner than the rest of the bathroom.
I loved the fact that the ironing board was the only open space in the whole joint. I mean, are you kidding me? You live in a house that looks like THAT and you bother ironing your clothes?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
If you see a great big middle-aged guy plodding along on a cross bike, it might be me. I ride thru that area regularly.

As far as distractions go, I was on the Amtrak train that was stuck in Oakland 3 hours when a guy committed suicide (gun to the head) in one of the sleeper cars last week. Police, coroner, even some yellow tape. I was a day late for the Compton Blue Line station shootings though (3 dead), one stop before I get off.
Hey were you the guy that told us to step aside on the path around Venice Beach b/c it's bikes only?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:52 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I found a new computer game to become addicted to. Did something happen in the market that I should know about? I have not forget about my friends on the ER boards, just been too busy declaring independence (the game is Civ 4: Colonization).

I heard some vague rumors of a market meltdown, something about a bailout bill, but who cares, a new world awaits.

"Da Nile isn't just a river in Africa, it is a much underrated coping strategy "
Old 09-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #26

Was off boondocking, missed some of the financial hoopla. In a few days head out to boondocks again, take only weather radio and CD player (the music kind).

By the time I get back it will either be a fixed market or dead market. Either way is fine.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I also live in LA. The traffic.....the worst in the country?

Sometimes I'll look at random pictures on sites like Flickr, just to see what "no traffic" is like. I don't think anyone living here realizes how abnormal it is.

Sad, but flickr is my window to the world..."my god, no traffic on that street!" And 95% of the country is like that.

The last 6 or 8 weekends, I've been escaping to the promenade. Free parking for 2 hours, and you're somewhat insulated from the traffic (although sm traffic has turned horrible in the last 5-8 years). And Marina Del Rey is great.

LA traffic use to be "reasonable" not that long ago, 10-12 years ago it started getting bad. But it was nothing like it is now.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Clif and I are on similar tracks. I've spent some time with Gears of War and Call To Action 3 on the xbox 360. Turns out that shooting people in the face is a wonderful way to relax after a rough day in the markets.

Turns out Dick was onto something there...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:56 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I also live in LA. The traffic.....the worst in the country?
Sad, but flickr is my window to the world..."my god, no traffic on that street!" And 95% of the country is like that.
here ya go - this pic was taken yesterday at 4 PM on main road between 2 medium size cities in upstate NY.
I will actually see a horse and buggy in some of our smaller towns where Amish farmers have settled. we actually have street signs with the horse/buggy silhouette to warn auto drivers to slow it down. Very cool!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9300015.jpg (333.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-01-2008, 06:59 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

but this reminds me of the LA freeways i drove on in the early 80s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9300005.jpg (640.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #31

Not viewing these boards is a start. Its the topic of the year though
Old 10-01-2008, 10:51 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Worrying serves no purpose. Watching the market doesn't help your portfolio. We've read enough that what does go up is expected to go down even faster, and we allocated accordingly. We're just grateful for what we do have, although it is less than our last review. We have the requisite skills and lack of overhead to survive frugally for a long time, so we have enough money for us. What we find enjoyable is seldom based on big spending, so our future looks good regardless of our returns. Go to some quiet, scenic area and rent for a while. City life just doesn't suit us now.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't feel bad I'm the same way.

Not so much with the markets but with other things in life.

Like a lost loved one or some conflict in friends or family.

It's something I wish I could change also. I just can't seem to turn off a train of thought if something is on my mind. If I work sometimes it just makes me think about it more.

I guess just being around people that you like can help more than anything.

So I don;t know the answer but I know the feeling!

Jim