Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
With digital, it either comes in 100%, or nothing.
Yes and no. Usually you either get it or not, but if you are on the edge of getting a strong enough signal it can be pixelated. If it's towards "yes", you can mostly watch it and occasionally the picture freezes or breaks up. If it's towards "no" you get just enough to think it might lock on but it usually doesn't. Some receivers will measure the strength of signal for you, which helps you adjust it by positioning the antennae. I have one station that comes in around mid 60%. In bad weather it can be worse, and below 60% I lose it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yes and no. Usually you either get it or not, but if you are on the edge of getting a strong enough signal it can be pixelated. If it's towards "yes", you can mostly watch it and occasionally the picture freezes or breaks up. If it's towards "no" you get just enough to think it might lock on but it usually doesn't. Some receivers will measure the strength of signal for you, which helps you adjust it by positioning the antennae. I have one station that comes in around mid 60%. In bad weather it can be worse, and below 60% I lose it.
Well yes, you can get right on the hairy edge where it pixelates and goes in and out, but that's really a very narrow zone. IME, if you are that on-the-edge, a sneeze or a breeze or a gnat fart will freeze the picture, making it essentially unwatchable. Compared to analog, where there's wide zone of great, very good, good, not so good, poor, really bad, and really really bad but I can make it out a little bit.

I will say, when a storm is passing between us and Chcago, I'd rather have the analog receiver. The pixelation and freezing and audio drop out make watching almost impossible. That's a rare and very temporary condition, but sometimes it happens just as we want to track a storm on TV. Internet time!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Computer only free sites.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't own a TV, so watch everything on the computer. Used to use Netflix, but dropped that a while ago and currently get all viewing for free by using YouTube and the BBC iPlayer to watch all my favorite shows from Aunty Beeb. My sofa is set up behind my desk (small apartment) so that if I go full-screen, I can sit on the sofa and watch - just like real TV!

Sure, I miss out on a lot by not having a subscription to Netflix, Hulu or the like, but what I don't see, I don't miss. I'm an INTJ ya know

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Tivo with cablecard, Roku for AmazonPrime and Netflix. I have found that i cannot watch 'regular tv' under any circumstances as I do not wish to waste my time on commercials. If a few more Roku new channel apps are added soon (HGTV for my spouse, History channel for me) and we will likely ditch the Comcast channel package.

I found out that my neighborhood is now covered by Clear.com (wireless broadband) and if it really works it will be bye-bye Comcast in total. Clear.com is 4G unlimited and 6MPS.

Anyone have streaming experience with Clear.com?
Malcolm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #46

At home, I have verizon fios cable/internet. Living room I have a Roku box for streaming netflix or amazon (I have prime, but mostly for shipping), and verizon's cable box/dvr combo for cable tv. In my bedroom I just replaced a 15 year old tv with a new 46 inch samsung smart tv - it has 'apps' built into it for streaming netflix, amazon or other things too.

I think the real interesting trend is the one that netflix is catching onto to with releasing 'House of Cards' all at once...binge watching vs. waiting each week for a new episode...
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:32 AM   #47

Not retired yet but we have Directv with whole house DVR. The main thing I watch is sports, especially hockey, and that's primarily on Fox Sports North here.

Wife and I do love having DVR as we tape our favorite mainstream shows and watch them on our time without commercials.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
A bit OT but we are addicted to Inspector Morse too. We'll try New Tricks, thanks.

An old short series with John Thaw is The Sweeney -- it's very 1970's. Another British series is The Last Detective. Also some of the Touch of Frost -- the earliest ones were ancient and not very good video quality.
Oh, yes - love those series - can get them on DVD from the library here - can also watch the newer series on line (Lewis and Wallender were available when they were being aired online)

What I'd like to know is what DVRs do you all have (all readers of this thread who said they have DVRs)? I've been looking around and there aren't many DVRs available like there used to be as the cable companies have their own DVRs - I know you can use your laptop or computer with Windows media and a tuner of sorts, but I'd like to do this more simply without devoting a computer to the task...
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #49
Administrator

I use a roku, as does DW on the TV in her room. For YouTube I have an HDMI cable for my iPad which works great. Most of the places we rent on our long vacations have Internet plus TV with HDMI and the iPad works great for Netflix as well.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #50

Dropped Dish network about 8 years ago as an economy measure to reach F.E. sooner. Broadcast TV is almost worthless . I did get a digital converter box, via the guberment discount , but very rare to watch.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote