Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Early is "Early?"
Old 03-25-2005, 06:08 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Women, I think just go nuts.

BUM
Bum, You hit that nail on the head. My answer to the question is you work until you can't take it any more. For me the signs of cracking are becoming more obvious.

Yesterday after listening to yet another voice mail from yet another person requesting yet another unreasonable thing that there is no way I could produce, I put the phone down and collapsed in a fit of hysterical laughter. I'm pretty sure that I'm reaching the point where it really doesn't matter if I have saved enough assets to SWR 4% blah blah blah, I just gotta get out of there! (I'm 44)
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2005, 06:36 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

...something happens . . . at 50. Women, I think just go nuts.

Gee, I thought it was menopause.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

If I have gleemed one thing from this board that applied to me, it is that when the time comes, no one will have to tell you. Well now no one needs to tell me as I know that finally now is the time.

I have found my quality of work decreasing and as I have always had pride in the quality I put out, it is time that a younger prson step in with the enthusiasm I once held at 24 (now 54)

Sailaway
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Sailaway said it well and I feel the same way. I'm approaching that large round number (50) in November and sense it's time to start handing over the reins to the younger folks in the office.

Retiring at 40 seems really early to me but three cheers for the person who can actually do it. 50 seems reasonable and 60 too late especially since so many of my relatives were lucky to see their mid-50s.

But I'll probably do some kind of paid work until...I don't know...52-53. Just need enough to pay for boxed wine and propane for the RV.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:22 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Early" = enough sooner than you thought to make you giggle a little bit just thinking about it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #26

The time to retire is when you keep asking yourself why you should go to work every morning while you know that you have enough money to live on for years to come.

Since your body keeps deterioating, the earlier you retire the better you will have more time or energy to enjoy life. It really does not matter how much money that you have if you are old and feeble.

Spanky
Old 03-25-2005, 05:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Since your body keeps deterioating, the earlier you retire the better you will have more time or energy to enjoy life. It really does not matter how much money that you have if you are old and feeble.
Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:45 AM   #28

Hey BMJ! Thanks for thinking of me. A early a.m.
salute to our flag. Long may it wave.

For atl, earning more money is frequently irrelevant
to the ER. In my case, I walked away from the best offer
of my life and never regretted it for a minute.

Re. ages: For me, "semi" at 49 and fully at 53, but even in "semi" mode
my workload was cut about 80%. BTW, even at age 60
I find I am "unusual" compared to my contemporaries.
Very few are retired or even have any firm plans as far as I can tell. OTOH, most own their own businesses
or are self-employed so that makes a big difference.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:02 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

My view was early retirement at 63. Then I was put out to pasture(layed off) at 49. Sis on you pister morphed into 'hey! not working is fun! After ten years - I ran across this forum - now I'm a high class ER - with dryer sheets.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:02 AM   #30

Speaking of early, what is the earliest mandatory retirement in the world? I believe France has 60? Anybody beat that?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:09 AM   #31

Don't know, but I assume the good folks here know
my position on being told that I "must" retire at any
particular age, or that I "must" do most anything for
that matter

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #32

Speaking of mandatory age, here is an article of from the Cato Institute:
" ..................
Mandatory retirement age rules still prevail in some private and public-sector occupations: State and local police (55-60) and firefighters (55-60); federal firefighters (57); federal law enforcement and corrections officers (57); and air traffic controllers (56, if hired after 1972); and commercial airline pilots (60). These are "earlier-than-normal" retirement ages compared to the vast majority of other occupations. .. "

For more info: http://www.cato.org/testimony/ct-jg040909.html
Old 03-26-2005, 01:11 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

He,he Sheryl! That one really had me laughing out loud. My job has also become so Dilbert lately that even the slightly dipping market will not stop me from taking the FIRE jump this year!
Cheers!

Quote:

Bum, You hit that nail on the head. *My answer to the question is you work until you can't take it any more. * For me the signs of cracking are becoming more obvious.

Yesterday after listening to yet another voice mail from yet another person requesting yet another unreasonable thing that there is no way I could produce, I put the phone down and collapsed in a fit of hysterical laughter. * *I'm pretty sure that I'm reaching the point where it really doesn't matter if I have saved enough assets to SWR 4% blah blah blah, *I just gotta get out of there! * (I'm 44)
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 01:13 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

ATL; I know the feeling but in the last few months I have reached a point of no return based on the Sheryl-like Dilbert experiences in office. Now it is office politics and I can not bother anymore. You might have a real life guinea pig young (35) retiree to experiment on soon!
Cheers!

Quote:
I can retire today but am concerned about future costs. How do you deal with that? Since I am still employed with an exceptional salary, how can I justify leaving it now.
Old 03-27-2005, 06:38 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Money can't buy your time. *You only have a limited number of birthdays remaining.
Once your investable net worth is at least 25 times your average annual expenses less any pension, you should be able to retire. *Run FIRECALC to help give you a guideline.
I have the 25 times annual expenses now so maybe it is time to try it before I run out of Bdays.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:36 AM   #36

Quote:
I have the 25 times annual expenses now so maybe it is time to try it before I run out of Bdays.
I'm not sure how serious you were, but anyone contemplating ER using a 25x / 4% rule (or any other method) should feel comfortable with their understanding of where the rule comes from, it's pros and cons and detractors, and the investment mix they choose. That said, I more or less expect anyone who's saved up 25x expenses most likely has the investment savvy to make the decision as wisely as anyone else. And I'd be gone ASAP.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:27 AM   #37

Ben,
It sounds like you have made your mind up to RE. Congratulations. Stick to your guns (PPK?).

Sheryl,
I just gotta get outta here! I understand that. More and more lunacy. Time to prepare your short term exit strategy. Please dont procrastinate.

The saddest are the those who hate their jobs but lament, "Hey, I only have ELEVEN more years..." God, don't become yet another one of those victims.

BUM
Old 03-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Speaking of early, what is the earliest mandatory retirement in the world? I believe France has 60? Anybody beat that?

I beat it by 7 years! I said, "Honey, I'm retiring. Its mandatory."

BUM
Old 03-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Walther PPK 7.65mm 6 in mag 1 in chamber - but recently switched to the Walther P99 actually. Cheers! 8)

Quote:
Ben,
It sounds like you have made your mind up to RE. *Congratulations. Stick to your guns (PPK?).

Sheryl,
I just gotta get outta here! I understand that. More and more lunacy. Time to prepare your short term exit strategy. Please dont procrastinate.

The saddest are the those who hate their jobs but lament, "Hey, I only have ELEVEN more years..." *God, don't become yet another one of those victims.

BUM
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

"I'm only aware of three men who use the walther ppk, and I've killed two of them".

Sorry, just watched "goldeneye" last night...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote