Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How Early is "Early?"
Old 03-28-2005, 01:55 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Close: Bond is holding a gun up to Valentin's head:
Valentin: "Hmm. Walter PPK. I only know of three men who use such a gun. I believe I've killed two of them."
Bond: "Lucky me." Cheers!

Quote:
"I'm only aware of three men who use the walther ppk, and I've killed two of them".

Sorry, just watched "goldeneye" last night...
preben is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never knew anyone who owned a Walther PPK. although I did know a few women who were "Packin'
heat". I found that very appealing.

OTOH, I did date a few women with walloping PMS, and
several of them almost killed me

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #43

Quote:
ATL; I know the feeling but in the last few months I have reached a point of no return based on the Sheryl-like Dilbert experiences in office. Now it is office politics and I can not bother anymore. You might have a real life guinea pig young (35) retiree to experiment on soon!
Cheers!

Now there's a theory - we set up two teams of FIREs one team manages Ben's profolio, one manages mine, we see who does better. I'm 9 years older but then women live longer statistically so it should about even out.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Sheryl; when we you looking at jumping of the hamster wheel?
I am working on it right now - latest this summer, but might jump earlier. Cheers!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Sheryl,
I just gotta get outta here! I understand that. More and more lunacy. Time to prepare your short term exit strategy. Please dont procrastinate.

The saddest are the those who hate their jobs but lament, "Hey, I only have ELEVEN more years..." *God, don't become yet another one of those victims.

BUM
Yeah, I've been serious about an "exit strategy" for a couple years now. *My goal has always been to ER at 50 at the very latest, (I'm 44 now) but I'm starting to think I can't last that long, so I'm trying to see how much I can accelerate the plan. * *

I actually wouldn't mind some work, rather than total retirement. * *Freelancing one or two projects a year to supplement income (I'm an architect) would actually be fun, compared to owning and operating a 15 person multi-million dollar firm. *

Also I know that I will have a fairly decent inheritance at some point, but it seems sort of weird to plan for that while Dad's still doing great at 78 (and his mother is healthy at 100). So that's always a question to me - should I wait for that, or bail now knowing I could last until he goes... I just hate the idea of him even thinking I'm waiting around for "my money" ya know??

Old 03-28-2005, 04:23 PM   #46

Well now there is something I don't have to
use any brainpower on. If I do get an inheritance, it
won't be much. Too bad, as I coukl surely use it and I
know my folks want me to have it. It's just by the time
we get to that point I don't expect much to be left.
On top of that, my Dad likes to tease that he might outlive me. I'm starting to believe him.

JG
Old 03-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Another comment; why is this thread HERE? Same for the thread on whether someone could see themselves FIREd?
I PMed Dory and suggest some clean up of the boards with fewer boards so the experience will improve - he might just laugh of me but at least I gave my 2 cents!
Old 03-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #48

Quote:
On top of that, my Dad likes to tease that he might outlive me. *I'm starting to believe him.

JG
Yeah, mine might do the same. However, he's set up a life insurance trust. No matter how long he lives we (my brother and I) get the benefit of the insurance. The longer he lives the greater the value of the policy, so I'm not really in a hurry.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:22 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OTOH, I did date a few women with walloping PMS, and
several of them almost killed me
You know why they call it "PMS"?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:40 AM   #50

Quote:

You know why they call it "PMS"?

....no you wouldn't... you couldn't!....
Old 03-29-2005, 02:06 AM   #51

Quote:

Now there's a theory - we set up two teams of FIREs one team manages Ben's profolio, one manages mine, we see who does better. I'm 9 years older but then women live longer statistically so it should about even out.

I'll take Sheryl!

Lets see...Shovel a bunch to anybody-but-Vanguard. Pick loaded funds with monthly or quarterly dividends. Spice it up with some hi-yield. Channel divvys to a good m/m fund. Set up monthly EFT to Sheryl's personal checking.

What am I forgetting? Oh yeah! My CFP fees! Lets see theres the pushbutton "how much will you need to live on" presentation. The "dazzle-em-with-numbers" (ripped-off from FireCalc) 3 ring binder. The humiliting LBYM lecture. Should be good for a few grand, 'till she gets pissed and sells out. Then I'll get a few more grand on the back end commissions. Then I'll close out whats-her-names account.

I know you wont let the above lemming walk happen to you.

BUM
Old 03-29-2005, 07:17 AM   #52

Quote:
I'll take Sheryl!

Lets see...Shovel a bunch to anybody-but-Vanguard....

What am I forgetting? Oh yeah! My CFP fees!

I know you wont let the above lemming walk happen to you.

BUM *
That sounds absolutely awesome, BUM - re your fees: "The check is in the mail."
Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

....no you wouldn't... you couldn't!....
I might...but not right now.

Saw it on a big bumper sticker on the back of a car in front of us the other day. Got 3/4 of the way through reading it when a voice from the passenger seat warned "If you so much as smirk you're a goner"...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:45 AM   #54

Quote:

I actually wouldn't mind some work, rather than total retirement. Freelancing one or two projects a year to supplement income (I'm an architect) would actually be fun, compared to owning and operating a 15 person multi-million dollar firm.
Sheryl,

I thought owning a multi-million business is a dream for a lot of people.

Anyway, if you are tired of it, you can always let someone one else manage it or simply sell it.

Spanky
Old 03-29-2005, 03:55 PM   #55

Quote:
I thought owning a multi-million business is a dream for a lot of people.

Anyway, if you are tired of it, you can always let someone one else manage it or simply sell it.
It is. It was. Now I've done it. In this type of business what people are buying is my (and my partners) expertise. Whenever we delegate much to the younger employees the clients whine, "But we hired YOOOOUUUU, wah." I'm preparing my partners for the fact that there's no way I"m hanging around here until I'm 65, so they will need to start thinking about who will buy my shares (and do my work). It's been fun and profitable, now it's time for a change.

Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #56

I know many small business owners who tried to
"hire" people to run their companies so they could "go play". It seldom worked. The most notable success
was the prior owner of the last company I bought.
But, he didn't need to hire anyone, he just found a guy to stay on after he bought the company. The "holdover"
was very unmotivated, but they made a pile of money anyway. Most of the situations of which I am aware
where the "founders" hired outside management and then left
were disasters.

JG
Old 03-29-2005, 06:31 PM   #57

Quote:
*Most of the situations of which I am aware where the "founders" hired outside management and then left were disasters.

JG
That's been my experience and opinion too. Our company is too small to pay others to manage and still generate enough income for me. I'm better building the firm valuation - which is based on previous years gross - then selling my shares.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:17 AM   #58

Good thread ...

It'll be 43 for me. But this comes with rentals to manage ... OK by me (I can't sit still).