Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How Close to Salt Water Is Your House?
0.99 miles or less 16 17.98%
From 1 to 9.99 inclusive 16 17.98%
From 10 to 49.99 inclusive 13 14.61%
From 50 to 200 inclusive 14 15.73%
More than 200 miles 30 33.71%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How Far Are You From Salt Water?
Old 04-16-2006, 10:18 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Within a few miles in every direction.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

8 feet from the preserved lemon bin in my fridge.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:56 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Does living on the water count? We live on our boat in Anacortes, WA. We have a house overlooking the water in Anacortes that we are cleaning out to sell. In the summer there are few places nicer than the PNW, in the winter that’s up for debate. It’s been a very cold and stormy winter up here. It’s currently in the low 40’s, blowing 25+ mph with a light rain.
We just got back from a road trip to Tucson and then back up Hwy 1 in CA. It’s nice to see the sun and feel warm for a change. I’ve told my DW that we’ll stay around here for a couple more years and then I want to move South. If we want to continue on the boat then we might take it to Mexico, if not we’ll look for a place in the SW or maybe Mexico. I love the water but I also like to desert. It’s nice to go outside without putting on polar-tech and rain gear. We’ll see what we feel like after a few years.
AFloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:08 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

6-7 miles to the closest beach at Isle of Palms, SC (but a couple miles further to my favorite stretch of that beach). We have to go over the Intracoastal Waterway to get there, so we're maybe 4 miles to salt water. And the tidal marsh is probably only 2 miles through the woods across the main street that leads to our neighborshood. We're also across the street from a pretty 40-acre manmade lake.

I grew up going to Jones Beach every Saturday or Sunday in warm weather and occasionally the rest of the year. That salty, tangy air is more intense than the ocean air here in South Carolina--perhaps becasue the waves crash harder and it's windier off Long Island(?). AH, the smells of my youth...that lung-clearing ocean air!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:59 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently, 90 miles.* However, with global warming in the next few hundred years, whomever "owns" my land will probably have beach-front property...*

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a
Currently, 90 miles.* However, with global warming in the next few hundred years, whomever "owns" my land will probably have beach-front property...* - Ron
with the new greenland info the latest news articles seem to discuss a 100-year time frame before oceans rise anywhere from 4-20 feet. computer projections show most of florida flooding not as much by the ocean but mostly up florida bay and the gulf side. i'm on the ocean side, currently about 6 feet above sea-level. i figure in about 50 years i'll set up the beach umbrella & sun-chair concessions. but by 65 years i really should consider selling.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #27

This is our situation, though we're still waiting to "get lucky."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comic.jpg (42.0 KB, 68 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb Comic.jpg_thumb (40.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-17-2006, 10:34 AM   #28

We live in Puget Sound...just up the road from the ferry to Whidbey Island. Currently a buildign a waterfront home on Whidbey for ER. Criteria for location was 1) see the water, hear the water and smell the water. Just purchased a kayak and looking forward to lazy days paddling in the many coves and lagoons. We have had a cold, gray and wet winter....but, nothing beats a sunny summer day here. I also spent many summer days at Jones Beach in my youth....great memories. I was a Navy brat and the salt water is in my veins.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #29

In the interests of anonymity, I won't say which house is ours.* Three of the houses in this photo have been moved or destroyed.

[Photo gone]
Old 04-17-2006, 10:50 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in a beach town - Corpus Christi, Texas - and have missed the ocean every day since I left home to go to the University of Texas (40 years ago).

I've now lived in more than a dozen places since (only one of them -- D.C. -- near "serious" salt water), but I still love the beach and regularly add an extra day to my travel when I'm in areas with "good" beaches. A business trip to Biloxi, MS, scheduled for next week, for example, will begin with an extra day on the front end to go to Ship Island (pre-Katrina one of the "best" beaches in the country... don't know anymore).

I'm considering delaying my retirement untill summer 2008 to take a "fun" assignment on the West Coast, which will be near the ocean again.

playaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:54 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Backyard is salt water creek, walk to dock at end of dirt road to the Sound. Couldn't live anywhere else! Deer, wild turkeys, and foxes to boot! Grew up on Sullivan's Island SC and never could leave Charleston....glad we don't have that horrible erosion problem like Al! Wow!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

The weekend place is on the tidal Potomac -- 7 miles wide.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I'm about 180 miles from the MS coast. I once thought I might retire around Gulf Shores, AL but the hurricanes have left a bad taste in my mouth. Probably just lease something for a few weeks during the off season. Gonna head in the opposite direction during August to escape the heat. Maybe Montana. *
Old 04-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
In the interests of anonymity, I won't say which house is ours. Three of the houses in this photo have been moved or destroyed.
I see it...you zoom in and look for the one with the stack of pallets in the back yard.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #35

Quote:
In the interests of anonymity, I won't say which house is ours.* Three of the houses in this photo have been moved or destroyed.
wow, that's really spooky. it doesn't look like someplace where yer supposed to build. what are those houses sitting on? is there no bedrock? that is just soil? what happens when the ocean takes the earth? are those houses able to be insured or do the owners just lose what they had?

looks like a great place for the view but a bad place to play frisbee with the dog.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In the interests of anonymity, I won't say which house is ours.
If I were a betting man, I'd wager you live on the eastern side of the road.
(You might want to get that oil leak repaired, your car is leaving a nasty spot on your driveway.)

Old 04-17-2006, 03:51 PM   #37

We are far far away from saltwater, but we are half an hour from nice beaches on Lake Erie and about 45 minutes from Lake Huron.

We did spend a glorious year on the coast of Australia. We lived about a 30 second walk from Bass Strait just south of Melbourne. There was a brilliant white sandy beach nearby that squeaked when you walked on it. And of course, it was called "Squeaky Beach".
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:17 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

We are about 250 miles from the east coast.

In the yard we have a spring fed stream and I love the sound of the running water. We're less than a mile from a lake where there is fishing, boating, swimming, and yes, kayaking.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I see it...you zoom in and look for the one with the stack of pallets in the back yard.
Google Earth!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:12 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

We are about 18 miles from the Great Salt Lake. Not a great place for recreation unless you like marsh flies and the interesting aroma from the south end of the lake. I will stick to the mountains for recreation except for our ocean-related vacation time.