Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How great is the United States?
Greatest country on earth. 32 41.03%
Pretty d@mn great. 30 38.46%
It's okay. 11 14.10%
It would be better if there were even more TVs 0 0%
Shut up and give me that flag. I need to blow my nose. 5 6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:11 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 228
Re: How great is the US of A

The USA is my homeland and I love it. I am American by culture, for better or worse, and even though I've traveled a lot and would love to live outside the country for a few years, I wouldn't consider leaving permanently.

That said, I think our current administration is the worst in our history. Our honor and integrity are being dragged through the mud by the chimp who bought the highest office in the land and his manipulators. It's shameful.
__________________

__________________
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
That's fine. Us Merkins need somewhere to exile our unwanteds to.
Just think, over the last generation or so a large number of talented people have moved from Canada (among other places) to America to fully live out the life they can achieve with their talents, while a motley group of misfits flee America -- it'll be interesting to watch the differences in dynamism between the two countries as history unfolds........
__________________

__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 569
Re: How great is the US of A

I can't see Kerry running again, the US won't vote for Hiliary, so who is the Democrat that has the best shot of grabbing disillusioned Republican Voters
__________________
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Just think, over the last generation or so a large number of talented people have moved from Canada (among other places) to America to fully live out the life they can achieve with their talents, while a motley group of misfits flee America -- it'll be interesting to watch the differences in dynamism between the two countries as history unfolds........
Actually, it is quite hard to legally enter Canada unless you are young, well, educated, have valuable work experience, and speak english and/or french. You also typically need to have a job. Sounds like productive citizens to me...
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:27 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Actually, it is quite hard to legally enter Canada unless you are young, well, educated, have valuable work experience, and speak english and/or french. You also typically need to have a job. Sounds like productive citizens to me...
You must be new to Canada.........
__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
You must be new to Canada.........
OK, then enlighten me. All the entry requirements I have seen seem pretty stiff. What have you seen?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
OK, then enlighten me. All the entry requirements I have seen seem pretty stiff. What have you seen?
Most of the highly qualified people who are granted entry aren't able to practice their profession and wind up driving taxis. In practice the requirements are a lot less stiff than they appear on paper. Even the border security is, ah, not the most ironclad defense in the world.....

In short, just because the government puts out some pamphlets that say "we are looking for highly qualified people to join the Canadian journey and transform our society into a modern, leading society," etc.., doesn't really affect the quality of the people who are moving here. YMMV.
__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
brewer12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 16,391
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Most of the highly qualified people who are granted entry aren't able to practice their profession and wind up driving taxis. In practice the requirements are a lot less stiff than they appear on paper. Even the border security is, ah, not the most ironclad defense in the world.....

In short, just because the government puts out some pamphlets that say "we are looking for highly qualified people to join the Canadian journey and transform our society into a modern, leading society," etc.., doesn't really affect the quality of the people who are moving here. YMMV.
So, IOW, its about like the US? Except maybe you get more and fewer Mexicans?
__________________
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."



- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
So, IOW, its about like the US? Except maybe you get more and fewer Mexicans?
LOL, too true.......

(not sure what the would be, maybe Greeks, or Chinese, but whatever -- Greeks, Chinese and Mexicans are all welcome by me!)
__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: How great is the US of A

Especially if they bring their food preparation techniques.......
__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #51
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ladelfina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,713
Re: How great is the US of A

I'd always heard people who might not get into the US would take up residence in Canada. Either as Canadian citizens, or just by sneaking over, they found it easier to get into the US than they would have otherwise. A stepping stone. This may well have changed by now.
__________________
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 569
Re: How great is the US of A

No, they are still sneaking across the border, generally as part of a Smuggling Ring.

No where near the numbers coming across from the South.

The US is building a big wall to run the length of the Canadian Border, I have sent my name in to the guy in Colorado who is spearheading it, I have offered 30 hours a week of free labour.
__________________
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 607
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
I don't think you can judge your own country until you've actually lived outside of it for a bit. I lived in the U.S. for a couple of years and it may me appreciate Canada even more (no offense).
I agree with you. I'm an immigrant to the US, who came here when I was 10. Not bragging, but I grew up in 3 different countries in 3 different continents and have vacationed in about 35 countries. The more I travel, the more I appreciate the US. Saying that I appreciate the US doesn't mean that I think that we are better than other countries in every way. This country has given me so much and I'm incredibly grateful for the chance that I've been given here; opportunities that I'm certain would not be available to me elsewhere. I'm proud to call myself an American.

Call me an optimist, but I've seen positive things about every single country that I've been to. I don't like to see America bashing, but I also don't like to see bashing of France, Canada etc. Stereotyping 300 million people is just as wrong as stereotyping 55 million or 32 million people! We have more in common with each other than we realize.
__________________
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 06:05 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 784
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot
I agree with you. I'm an immigrant to the US, who came here when I was 10. Not bragging, but I grew up in 3 different countries in 3 different continents and have vacationed in about 35 countries. The more I travel, the more I appreciate the US. Saying that I appreciate the US doesn't mean that I think that we are better than other countries in every way. This country has given me so much and I'm incredibly grateful for the chance that I've been given here; opportunities that I'm certain would not be available to me elsewhere. I'm proud to call myself an American.

Call me an optimist, but I've seen positive things about every single country that I've been to. I don't like to see America bashing, but I also don't like to see bashing of France, Canada etc. Stereotyping 300 million people is just as wrong as stereotyping 55 million or 32 million people! We have more in common with each other than we realize.
Hear, hear!

If everybody in the world read your post, I think we'd get sudden world peace.... only someone would have to kill all the lawyers.....
__________________
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 06:47 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 899
Re: How great is the US of A

Of couse I recall reading somewhere that we share about 99% of our DNA with chimpanzees so maybe it is the differences that count

We seem to have a difficult time discussing the goods and bads of the US rationally and unemotionally and those on either end of the spectrum seem to be the most vocal. In grad school I met a fair number that absolutely believed that ALL of the problems of the world are caused by the US. On the other hand there are those that seem to believe that the purpose of the US is to show the rest of the world the right way to live and that therefore we can do no wrong.

MB
__________________
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #56
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,094
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
We seem to have a difficult time discussing the goods and bads of the US rationally and unemotionally and those on either end of the spectrum seem to be the most vocal. In grad school I met a fair number that absolutely believed that ALL of the problems of the world are caused by the US. On the other hand there are those that seem to believe that the purpose of the US is to show the rest of the world the right way to live and that therefore we can do no wrong.
And the truth lies somewhere inbetween.... :

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-25-2006, 03:49 PM   #57
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,005
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
In grad school I met a fair number that absolutely believed that ALL of the problems of the world are caused by the US.
Then they grow up, get married, have kids (not necessarily in that order any more), move to the suburbs, and realize that the ole U. S. of A. ain't too bad a place after all.

__________________
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How great is the US of A
Old 02-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
laurence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,234
Re: How great is the US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Dood
Hear, hear!

If everybody in the world read your post, I think we'd get sudden world peace.... only someone would have to kill all the lawyers.....
Didn't Henry the 8th have something to say about that?

I for one, have my problems with my country's recent actions and behavior on the world stage, as well as the prevailing attitudes on important domestic policies. But I believe in sticking around and trying to make things better, I think there is much good in America that makes that effort worth it.

Plus, as much as I love Canada in summer, those winters just ain't gonna work for me long term.
__________________

__________________
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another great investment Donzo Other topics 11 01-19-2007 10:44 AM
4 days until ER and hey I just got a great part time gig! newguy88 Life after FIRE 6 12-19-2006 10:21 AM
Ty Bernicke's results sound great...maybe? practicalpat Hi, I am... 4 06-29-2006 12:38 AM
Great ER Job Eagle43 Other topics 4 05-30-2005 12:57 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.