5 (Doing the Snoopy Dance!) 24 16.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How Happy are You?
Old 04-24-2007, 09:20 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
It seems to me there's a higher level of friction on this forum than on others I've frequented and moderated.
Really? I must have been on the wrong boards, this is one of the most civil I've seen.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #22

I have my ups and downs but I figure once I ER the ups will be more than the downs. I tend to be a cheerful person as long as some putz doesn't aggravate me first thing in the morning.

As for this forum, it also has it's ups and downs

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:25 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you think we're boring, you could try richdad.com..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I don't know if you would call my current state happiness; I would call it peace.

It took 54 years to attain solitude, and it is wonderful.

The contemplative life was not anticipated, but is embraced and cherished.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Retired Jan 1993. Age 49.

Now - what was the question?

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh 8).
Old 04-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I'd certainly be doing the Snoopy dance most all the time, except for the three herniated discs in my back that have oozed out and are attempting to strangle my poor little sciatic nerve......but after May 3rd in Phoenix, when the neurologist does my epidural and shows those little puppies who is boss......THEN.....it's pretty much Snoopy dance for me. (And when I think of the folks who can't walk at all, my painful lumbering around like Igor in some horror film dragging my leg behind me seems like pretty small potatoes).

Seriously, if it would be possible to be happier, I don't know how. I have an extremely happy marriage of almost 30 years, have two grown kids I love (and like), wonderful friends, in general (except for those pesky discs) good health, more than enough money to support our chosen lifestyle.......what's not to like?

At this moment, I'm sitting here at the computer in the sunshine in a National Forest campground near Prescott AZ surfing the net.....getting ready to quit and have breakfast......our Tibetan prayer flags are snapping in the wind outside my window.....I feel showered with blessings from the Universe.

LooseChickens
Old 04-24-2007, 10:32 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

i think this question is strongly American, where the pursuit and accomplishment of happiness is so pivotal to our national and individual identification.

living abroad, i came to realize a different motivator of other cultures: are you content? are you worthy?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

All this talk about forum etiquette reminded me of the early Wired Magazine article about the The War Between alt.tasteless and rec.pets.cats. A hilarious example of rudeness on the Net gone wild.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:18 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
You may also find that many of us don't like to be told what to do. Except of course by the duly appointed moderators of this board.

Ha
Hi, Ha,

I don't think I've told anyone what to do. I did tell one fellow to play nice - but that's after he insulted my religious beliefs and my family. I don't think I was bossy - just making clear that I don't care for being browbeaten.

Anyway, so you who are retired, it sounds like you guys feel it's made your life a bit happier. I know so many people who say it's a huge adjustment. What do you think?

I love my life as is, but I'm thinking that, so long as I'm healthy, retirement will definitely change things for the better.

L

Old 04-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
- but that's after he insulted my religious beliefs and my family.
That's just the way we say "hi, glad to meet you" here on the interweb.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
That's just the way we say "hi, glad to meet you" here on the interweb.
Well.....aw.....speak for yourself. Some of us prefer to leave families out of the fray.....
Old 04-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

For a monday (okay, tuesday, but I had yesterday off w*rk), not too bad. Pushed myself on the treadmill this morning, knocked off 6 to-dos before lunch, redeemed a full frequent diner card for a panini at the local cafe (they're my friday indulgence), none of the servers have crashed *knocks wood*, phone's been quiet, and I'm about to listen to some Anthony Bourdain on audiobook. Life's pretty good. :-)

And to mention the other point under debate, this is one of the more civil forums I've run into on the 'net. the occasional political/religious scuffle is par for the course anywhere. you just have to learn which threads to click and which to ignore. :-)
Old 04-24-2007, 02:02 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKLibrarian
you just have to learn which threads to click and which to ignore. :-)
Sometimes I skip a topic (I know, hard to believe) because the initial post or title doesn't grab me. When they get to 5+ pages, it is usually a good indication that the discussion has morphed. Out of morbid curiosity, I will often click on the most recent page's worth just to see what the fuss is about.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
Anyway, so you who are retired, it sounds like you guys feel it's made your life a bit happier. I know so many people who say it's a huge adjustment. What do you think?
early retirement has not made me any happier. it simply removed a misery from my life. i probably could have accomplished the same goal simply by taking a different job but at the time this seemed like fun and, much to my surprise, a viable option.

while e.r. might give someone the opportunity to rewire themself, generally, anyone miserable before early retirement will not benefit much on the happy scale by retiring. in fact, it might just give them more time to be even more miserable. similarly, anyone happy before early retirement will have more time to be happy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Just about every day I watch the sun rise over the Ko'olau and perhaps see a rainbow or two before sunset. I'm usually up & about to catch a full moonset over the Waianae before the sunrise show begins.

At those times my thoughts alternate between "Eh, lucky you live Hawaii!" and "Life is good!"

I can also watch the rush-hour traffic or the naval vessels around Pearl Harbor. But then my thoughts are mainly along the lines of "Thank goodness that's not me!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Sometimes I skip a topic (I know, hard to believe) because the initial post or title doesn't grab me. When they get to 5+ pages, it is usually a good indication that the discussion has morphed. Out of morbid curiosity, I will often click on the most recent page's worth just to see what the fuss is about.
I think a lot of us do that. Not surprising that the threads get out of control with so many dilettantes jumping in with opinions and no context.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:35 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

A colleague of mine researched happiness (for a paper) after our college newspaper performed an unscientific study which surveyed our students. Over 50% of the students surveyed reported that they are unhappy most of the time. There were plenty of other startling results but this one caught his eye.

To summarize, below are a couple of his discoveries in regard to happiness:

1. Happiness is an attribute of the soul, not of inanimate things or the pursuit of inanimate things.
2. Happiness can, therefore, be had in the soul only,
3. For getting real happiness, you must look within, to know our own being, for our happiness lies in ourselves.
4. Happiness is not to be possessed or pursued, only to be experienced

I guess the students are pursuing to many inanimate things
Old 04-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
. . . I'm so happy I could scream. In fact, I believe I will. Did you hear it?
Yeah we heard it. You scream like a girl, Eagle.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
You may also find that many of us don't like to be told what to do. Except of course by the duly appointed moderators of this board.

Ha
And some of us don't like to be told what to do especially by the moderators of this board.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I'm just pretending to be docile.

Ha