Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

My condolences to all that have lost loved ones. Our 2010 has been ok. No health scares for the immediate family. I finally found the perfect mix of hobbies, travel, and work to get me through ESR
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is still 2 and a half months left of 2010. Plenty of good and bad things can happen yet. I am truly sorry to hear abot all your human/pet losses. Iīll stop right here īcause I am in a very gloomy mood.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 AM   #23

2010 has been as rough as 2009 has been. In the past 3 months we have lost 4 family/friends to the grim reaper. My two aunties who were in the 70s, well I can understand that better than I can the friend who died of kidney cancer at 45 and the cousin who died at 51 of stomach cancer. We currently have another family member on death watch, 39 and diagnosed with untreatable brain cancer after never having a day of sickness. Seems as if it will never stop.

However, these events have made us look at our lives. I have begun to cut off people who where leeches in our lives. I no longer have time for people who want to be victims and expect me to hold their hands for extended periods of times whilst they whinge but do nothing to change the situation. I refuse to waste my life on these people who suck the life out of you.

We had to move for the 11th time in 16 years when our last landlord sold the house we lived in. However, this has been the shining light of our year. Our new landlady is one of those special people who rarely enter your life. She is Greek and there is just something about her. We live in a 100+ year old cabin on a property in a town which feels like we are in the country. Comes with squirrels in the ceiling and deer pushing their noses against the windows. We love sitting on the deck in the morning having our coffee and observing nature at work.

The money side of it has not been a focus at all for us this year. When the grim reaper constantly comes knocking it does provide a distraction from worrying about $s but does force you to focus on what you really want.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to hear about your sister and cat Mountainsea. Sorry to hear about your wife, Tiger.

We lost a family pet this year. Our pets have always been like members of the family so for us it was a very sad event.
TooFrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I am sorry to hear about all your losses to all who have written about their loss(es) on this thread. I've lost two Aunts to whom I was very close to to cancer within the last 10 months. I buried my cat two years ago. My cat was affectionate, playful, and intelligent. Always sat on my lap and enjoyed being petted as I read or worked on my laptop. I still miss her. The loss of loved ones is painful. Please know that we are all here for one another.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

For anyone having a tough year try taking DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine). I took one capsule this morning and it seems to help. I always keep a bottle on the shelf with the rest of my vitamins as it seems to help with depression. It's an amino acid. I just take it when feeling blue, which isn't that often. Although I know the best remedy is the passage of time.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I went through a difficult time in May 2010.

A 4.5 year relationship with dh2b ended abruptly. I should have ended it a while back, but...well I'm sure some of you can fill in that blank. I learned a lot about how people can disguise themselves, only to have true colors emerge later. Life is a journey and I am striding a lot stronger now.

It is often said that when 1 door closes, another opens.

I have met some wonderful guys via Match.com and I am getting out more for purely platonic friend activities. No more sitting home playing hermit.

My fave Bostonian is a fabulous man who takes very good care of me. Our solid friendship is proving to be a good foundation for the future.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Wow, some hard times for many of us, which offers some significant perspectives when you think about it. I am so sorry to hear of so much sadness from my friends here. We, too, have not escaped sickness in this year, with my mother's kidney transplant failing after 8 years, my FIL being put in a nursing home after a steep decline into dementia within about a week of a car accident, and DH's sister's diagnosis with breast cancer at 52. My good Carl dog passed away in March at age 14, as did my sweet Henry cat of the same age. The rest of the senior citizens mammals are hanging in there.

But I will savor the upcoming weekend I am spending with my wonderful big sister, who is coming to town solo as a gift from her splendid DH to hang out with us. We are planning a long boat ride, visits with shared friends, and late night gossip sessions that all too rare since their family moved to Vermont last year. Your losses remind me that time is shorter than we think.

I wish for peace and hope that 2011 brings more cheer than sadness to all of us. Freebird, I admire your lemonade from lemons and that you ended a relationship that wasn't good for you. As we all know all too well, there are worse things than being alone.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Found and met a friend on the internet.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
...Freebird, I admire your lemonade from lemons and that you ended a relationship that wasn't good for you. As we all know all too well, there are worse things than being alone.
Thanks lady.

If I can get through losing my husband in a mere 6 hours from chest pain to passing, then anything else is trivial. My pain threshold is way up there.

On the bright side...I am definitely not alone. I need some days off.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

The good, I am still healthy and blessed with many abilities, resources and try to appreciate the simple things. My cousin bought a house and we have become reacquainted and closer through the remodeling trials and tribulations.
The bad, my cousin who bought the house has suffered some permanent disabilities as a result of a car accident, my neighbor/friend/tenant died this morning of lung cancer, and my cat died in the spring and the dog is getting close. I spent way too much money giving my cousin a hand till the insurance comes through but I will never regret it. Must get another dog.
I guess all in all smell the flowers and say thanks for your blessings.

Bruce
Old 10-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

my year has been pretty good and next year appears to be even better since I retire in 20 more mondays..
Old 10-12-2010, 12:17 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
my year has been pretty good and next year appears to be even better since I retire in 20 more mondays..
Sold the house yet? Found your new home on wheels yet?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Found and met a friend on the internet.
Don't we all count as such?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

I'm sorry for all the people having bad years . We've all had them and will again . It's hard when you are in the middle of a crummy period to think the sun will ever shine again but it will .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:25 PM   #36

My thoughts and prayers to all those who have lost a loved one in 2010.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #37

We've had our ups and downs but overall things are very good.

DOWN - DH lost his job of 21 years in late Jan.

UP - His employer honored his contract through May so the paychecks and benefits kept coming.

DOWN - In April our beloved 4 year old cat, Max, died suddenly. Maybe not so suddenly, he had recurring bouts of severe anemia and had previously bounced back but on the last one he didn't make it. Felt like my heart was ripped out and I still miss him daily.

UP - Our 15 year old cat seems to like being an "only". Seems she has quite a personality when she's the queen of the castle.

UP - DH was eligible to retire with a public employees pension by the time his contract ended. It's turned out better than we expected. We get by month to month with a small surplus and we had saved so much for the big emergency of job loss that we had enough to replace all our old windows from 1955.

UP - Our 26 year old son is finally moving out. Most of the move happened last weekend with the completion tomorrow after he gets his internet connection. He got a nice 2 BR, 1.5 bath apt about 3 miles away. It's on the 3rd floor, which is the top so he has vaulted ceilings and a great view out over a golf course. One of my great pleasures as a mom was to go shopping with him for dishes, towels, bedding, furniture, etc. He's needed EVERYTHING but for now he has the essentials and we are looking forward to his empty bedroom, an extra space in the driveway and visiting him at his home.

Our parents are maintaining their health in their 80's and all the rest of the family are doing well.

Despite some bumps, it's been a very good year.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Sold the house yet? Found your new home on wheels yet?

no on both accounts... slow housing market... have our eye on a motorhome in Houston and if it still there in about a month it will be mine unless we find a better one...
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #39

I too am sorry for all of those that have had misfortunes this year. Life can sometimes really throw you off balance.

2010 for me has been "ok". I haven't had many medical problems this year except for my torn retina very early in the year. Knocking on wood for the rest of the year.

My daughter moved out and that's been really good for her but has taken quite a bit of readjustment on my part. On a positive note tho, I'm making my house "mine" now. I've had painting done and have changed my basement into a woman cave. When my dog starts to drive bonkers, that's where I go.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #40

Minus 4 teeth, prostate and henia surgery, and inevitable full upper implants in the very next few weeks. Plus a real need to quit smoking ASAP.....I donīt know how to rate this year