How has 2010 been for you?

For anyone having a tough year try taking DLPA (DL-Phenylalanine). I took one capsule this morning and it seems to help. I always keep a bottle on the shelf with the rest of my vitamins as it seems to help with depression. It's an amino acid. I just take it when feeling blue, which isn't that often. Although I know the best remedy is the passage of time.

I went through a difficult time in May 2010.

A 4.5 year relationship with dh2b ended abruptly. I should have ended it a while back, but...well I'm sure some of you can fill in that blank. I learned a lot about how people can disguise themselves, only to have true colors emerge later. Life is a journey and I am striding a lot stronger now. :cool:

It is often said that when 1 door closes, another opens.

I have met some wonderful guys via Match.com and I am getting out more for purely platonic friend activities. No more sitting home playing hermit.

My fave Bostonian is a fabulous man who takes very good care of me. Our solid friendship is proving to be a good foundation for the future. :flowers:

Wow, some hard times for many of us, which offers some significant perspectives when you think about it. I am so sorry to hear of so much sadness from my friends here. We, too, have not escaped sickness in this year, with my mother's kidney transplant failing after 8 years, my FIL being put in a nursing home after a steep decline into dementia within about a week of a car accident, and DH's sister's diagnosis with breast cancer at 52. My good Carl dog passed away in March at age 14, as did my sweet Henry cat of the same age. The rest of the senior citizens mammals are hanging in there.

But I will savor the upcoming weekend I am spending with my wonderful big sister, who is coming to town solo as a gift from her splendid DH to hang out with us. We are planning a long boat ride, visits with shared friends, and late night gossip sessions that all too rare since their family moved to Vermont last year. Your losses remind me that time is shorter than we think.

I wish for peace and hope that 2011 brings more cheer than sadness to all of us. Freebird, I admire your lemonade from lemons and that you ended a relationship that wasn't good for you. As we all know all too well, there are worse things than being alone.

...Freebird, I admire your lemonade from lemons and that you ended a relationship that wasn't good for you. As we all know all too well, there are worse things than being alone.

Thanks lady. :flowers:

If I can get through losing my husband in a mere 6 hours from chest pain to passing, then anything else is trivial. My pain threshold is way up there.

On the bright side...I am definitely not alone. I need some days off. ;)

The good, I am still healthy and blessed with many abilities, resources and try to appreciate the simple things. My cousin bought a house and we have become reacquainted and closer through the remodeling trials and tribulations.
The bad, my cousin who bought the house has suffered some permanent disabilities as a result of a car accident, my neighbor/friend/tenant died this morning of lung cancer, and my cat died in the spring and the dog is getting close. I spent way too much money giving my cousin a hand till the insurance comes through but I will never regret it. Must get another dog.
I guess all in all smell the flowers and say thanks for your blessings.

Bruce

my year has been pretty good and next year appears to be even better since I retire in 20 more mondays.. :)

I'm sorry for all the people having bad years . We've all had them and will again . It's hard when you are in the middle of a crummy period to think the sun will ever shine again but it will .

We've had our ups and downs but overall things are very good.

DOWN - DH lost his job of 21 years in late Jan.

UP - His employer honored his contract through May so the paychecks and benefits kept coming.

DOWN - In April our beloved 4 year old cat, Max, died suddenly. Maybe not so suddenly, he had recurring bouts of severe anemia and had previously bounced back but on the last one he didn't make it. Felt like my heart was ripped out and I still miss him daily.

UP - Our 15 year old cat seems to like being an "only". Seems she has quite a personality when she's the queen of the castle.

UP - DH was eligible to retire with a public employees pension by the time his contract ended. It's turned out better than we expected. We get by month to month with a small surplus and we had saved so much for the big emergency of job loss that we had enough to replace all our old windows from 1955.

UP - Our 26 year old son is finally moving out. Most of the move happened last weekend with the completion tomorrow after he gets his internet connection. He got a nice 2 BR, 1.5 bath apt about 3 miles away. It's on the 3rd floor, which is the top so he has vaulted ceilings and a great view out over a golf course. One of my great pleasures as a mom was to go shopping with him for dishes, towels, bedding, furniture, etc. He's needed EVERYTHING but for now he has the essentials and we are looking forward to his empty bedroom, an extra space in the driveway and visiting him at his home.

Our parents are maintaining their health in their 80's and all the rest of the family are doing well.

Despite some bumps, it's been a very good year.

Sold the house yet? Found your new home on wheels yet?

no on both accounts... slow housing market... have our eye on a motorhome in Houston and if it still there in about a month it will be mine unless we find a better one...

I too am sorry for all of those that have had misfortunes this year. Life can sometimes really throw you off balance.

2010 for me has been "ok". I haven't had many medical problems this year except for my torn retina very early in the year. Knocking on wood for the rest of the year.

My daughter moved out and that's been really good for her but has taken quite a bit of readjustment on my part. On a positive note tho, I'm making my house "mine" now. I've had painting done and have changed my basement into a woman cave. When my dog starts to drive bonkers, that's where I go.:ROFLMAO:

Minus 4 teeth, prostate and henia surgery, and inevitable full upper implants in the very next few weeks. Plus a real need to quit smoking ASAP.....I don´t know how to rate this year:confused:

Minus 4 teeth, prostate and henia surgery, and inevitable full upper implants in the very next few weeks. Plus a real need to quit smoking ASAP.....I don´t know how to rate this year:confused:
Healthier and with a gorgeous smile.....? :flowers:

This has been a good year for me. No death or serious illness with any close relatives. I paid off my home so i'm debt free. My investments are at an all-time high and i've increased my savings rate to approx. 2/3 of my income which is also at an all-time high even though it's still low compared to most here($48K/yr pre-tax).

I completely understand your feelings, MountainToSea. You have endured extreme loss, and it would not be normal to feel other than the way you do. I have had more than one "Annus Horribilus" in my 56 years, beginning with my mother's death from colon CA within 4 months of diagnosis when she was only 61 (and I was a junior in college). Then over the years the loss of my father and my husband, both suddenly. I think I have finally quit asking "why?" but it has taken a very long time. Trust me, things will get better.
I hesitate to say that this year is "good" for fear of the consequences of my pride (the evil eye, you know). I will call it so-so...nothing terribly good or terribly bad...so far knock wood. I'll take it.

My heart goes out to the board members with losses and ailing health for you or loved ones. 2010 has been overall good one! Took military leave from my state job that was getting depressing to go on active duty as a recruiter - right here at home in NJ - can do this for up to 5 years. (more money/paycheck!) Moved in officially with DBF - no major growing pains there, and we are getting along wonderfully. Lost 14#s since April (actually had to get measured since I was over the weight chart for the first time ever back in May - but not this week!) woohoo! Took a fabulous vacation to OR/WA with DBF. Heading home with DBF to CA for Thanksgiving with my family. Passed my SPHR certification in Jan. Finshed (diploma and all!) my MSHRM. Struggling with the new dx of roseacea - this is miserable but definitely not life threatening. DBF and I are purging tons of our own respective stuff to sale at a big yard sale next spring. Was invited to speak at a convention, which landed me on some unofficial guest speaker list...have recieved a few more invites to talk some more - more amusing than flattering. Hoping for an even better 2011!

Condolences to all. So far so good this year. One old friend who I had lost touch with.

Last year an aunt, her daughter and SIL, and my Brother all within months.
Year before MIL.

I hesitate to say that this year is "good" for fear of the consequences of my pride (the evil eye, you know). I will call it so-so...nothing terribly good or terribly bad...so far knock wood. I'll take it.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that feels this way . I can remember driving down the road and thinking my life is perfect right now . It feel apart shortly and stayed that way for several years so now I just take life as it comes .

Back
Top Bottom