Join Early Retirement Today

Re: How healthy is your lifestyle?
Old 04-29-2005, 12:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I have pretty healthy life style. I got to the local "Y" to lift weights about 3 times a week. I ride my bicycle everywhere to get around (shopping, errands and leisure) while my car collects dust. I have always loved my fruits & vegetables and eat 5 to 8 servings a day. I eat oatmeal and lots of garlic almost every day. I eat 6 to 9 eggs a week and my cholesterol is great. I supplement this with extra vitamins. Although I enjoy good quality hard liquor and wine, I rarely have any.

but

it stills does not seem to prevent me from getting 3 to 4 colds a year. :-/
I don't think my body likes sudden changes in temperature which we have been experiencing in NYC.

MJ

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2005, 12:24 PM   #22

My diet is nearly identical to Mikey's:
Quote:
I eat high protein/fat diet, and low carbs. I seem to stay a good weight easily on this regime. I go easy on the fruit, but eat all the veggies I want (a lot!)while staying away from potatoes, winter squash and other high carb starchy veggies.

Drink water, wine and whisky.
Although I don't drink very much whisky.

I do about 10 minutes of stretching exercises five days a week followed by 150 sit-ups then two sets of various exercises including push-ups. I use a set of springs to do chest pulls and squeezes. All of the above takes me about 30 to 40 minutes.

Next I take a walk/jog. Most days that includes 1 mile walking and 1 mile jogging, but on days when my wife goes with me we only walk but go 3 to 5 miles. In the evenings, we always walk together for another 3 to 5 miles.

The other 2 days a week, we are usually involved in some kind of archaeology work or volunteer event. These days can involve 10 mile backpacks, excavations, or simply sitting at a booth.

Old 04-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I bike, run and swim about 8 hours a week. It allows me to eat what I want and not gain weight. I have found exercise the best way to stay physically and mentally healthly. It also helps my cholesterol as a side benefit. I also try to avoid the carbs but I do like the pasta.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #24

We just got back from "previewing" a farm auction
to be held tomorrow. It's an estate auction for a deceased farmer. We talked to his brother
(the executor) and learned he is the youngest of 8 children, at age 79. Plus, his 4 sisters are all older
and all still alive. This guy looked very healthy and fit.
About 5-8 and he confirmed 150#, the same weight
as when he was in the service. Pretty hard to beat good genes.

JG
Old 04-29-2005, 03:26 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

JG

You are right about the genes. I have a friend that is 60. He stays trim, eats what he wants and exercises a little. His father lived to 95. I only wish .........
Old 04-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #26

I'm slowly coming around to taking care of me. Italien food wine and manhattans ruled my life until a few years months ... until recently. DW came up with her own fantastic basalmic salad dressing w/ a bit of bleu cheese. I now have salad daily, instead of never and cut way back on the manhattans. Portion control is the next challenge.

Old 04-29-2005, 03:54 PM   #27

I'm in good shape but I'm also 26
Old 04-29-2005, 04:17 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm 5'9 and ~ 155 lbs.

The same as I was in high school.

I've maintained the same weight all my adult life.

I'll be 62 in October.

Each day I'll have a couple of the darkest beers around before supper.

Breakfast is always a strong coffee. Half hour later a large glass of grapefruit juice. Then a huge bowl of cooled oatmeal mixed with ground flaxseed, cinnamon and probiotic yogurt.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:54 PM   #29

It seems that people who are retired have fairly heathy life style.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:44 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I think most early retirees are responsible people...that is, they take responsibility for themselves.

One healthy habit that I did not see is drinking......water, that is. The first thing I do every morning is drink 2-3 glasses of H2O. Then, I drink more during the day... and in the evening.

Also, orange juice is one of those things that I consider a magic food for health. Your mileage may vary....
Old 06-03-2005, 09:02 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

And I, on the other hand, happened upon this thread just as I was biting into a HoHo .....*
Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OJ works wonders for morning cotton mouth...

Used to run 12+ mi/wk, but knees don't like it so much anymore. Like to bike, strength training, walk a lot.

Eat low-fat, whole grains, lots o' veggies, but still eat meat/poultry/fish.

50, 6ft, 155lbs

Still struggling with tobacco habit..................

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
OJ works wonders for morning cotton mouth...

Used to run 12+ mi/wk, but knees don't like it so much anymore. Like to bike, strength training, walk a lot.

Eat low-fat, whole grains, lots o' veggies, but still eat meat/poultry/fish.

50, 6ft, 155lbs

Still struggling with tobacco habit..................
Hi Have,

Add 2" and 60 pounds and I'm with you! If you need that OJ in the morn... you might also be strugglin' wit de alkehol. Shankfully I doshent have zat probrem.

Old 06-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
Hi Have,

Add 2" and 60 pounds and I'm with you! If you need that OJ in the morn... you might also be strugglin' wit de alkehol.* Shankfully I doshent have zat probrem.

Hey, I was thinking about this (my diet) yesterday. This is it for that particular day (don't try this at home)

Breakfast was a small glass of water, a Slimfast snack bar, a Frappacino
and my reg. doses of Ginkgo, vit. C and aspirin.

Lunch was low fat milk and a quarter pounder with cheese (bun removed -
dog ate it) ,

Supper time........large vodka martini (or 2 halves, depending on how you count)
canned herring with green peppers (yummy), two (2) Slimfast bars and two (2)
glasses of water.

On looking this over I am reminded of a line from the movie 'As Good as it Gets',
"You're gonna die with that diet!"

Disclaimer: this was a very odd day diet-wise. I was on the go all day long and
never paid any attention until I went to bed. That's when the ruminating began.
Anyway, very non-typical. Wish I drank more water.

I am 5-9 and 155lbs. Been right there since I remarried 3 years ago.
Before that I was right on 150 lbs. for 20 years. Just lucky I guess.

JG
Old 06-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper

I'll be 62 in October.
You applying for SS early?? Just wondering?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:51 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

...another topic of high interest to me. You wouldn't guess it from my photo.... hey hey HEY! But I did manage to give up the cigars (and booze too) about 18 years ago. Since then I've become a total health freek. I even worked in a health food store selling vitamins just to learn about what works etc. I also studied chinese medicine for a year. My friends think I'm nUtZ because I eat seaweed... Not having health insurance kind of helps inspire one to take care of one's self. I like the analogy made earlier in the string about investing in health for future returns. Health has to come first, no?

pb
Old 06-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a drinking problem: I drink, I get drunk, I fall down... NO PROBLEM!

Or how 'bout: I have a drinking problem: two hands, only one mouth!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Ba dum bump...I'll be here all week folks, try the veal!

VoyT....did the hoho sue after you bit them?

Bum - you stopped struggling?

See JG...how easy that is?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
I don't have a drinking problem: I drink, I get drunk, I fall down... NO PROBLEM!
Or how 'bout: I have a drinking problem: two hands, only one mouth!!
"I used to have a drug problem, but now I make enough money to afford it."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- David Lee Roth

Our lifestyle's become disgustingly healthy.

There's a complete absence of workplace-related stress.* (Now it's my own darn fault.)

We're getting enough sleep.* (You remember that, TH, right?)* We can take naps pretty much whenever we want.* We don't have to chug caffeine to achieve full consciousness (or more accurately "less unconsciousness").

We're exposed to much less HAZMAT without commuting or being in an industrial environment.* We don't take insane driving risks or procedural shortcuts or blow our tempers.

We have time to work out.* That's a couple of spouse evening walks every week, tae kwon do 3x/week with the kid (she's started sparring a double class on Fridays which has taught her a lot about dehydration & anaerobic metabolism), surfing 1-2x/week, and all the free yardwork I can handle.* We even add an occasional weekend father/daughter trip to the weight room.* I can read about exercise & flexibility and I can actually do something about it.* (Once again it's my own darn fault.)

When you're exercising (or doing chores) all day and you're chugging ibuprofen to pay for your boomeritis, it's not good to stress your liver with alcohol.* So my beer consumption is maybe 2-3 a month.

We have time to "fix" our diet.* We eat less convenience food & drink, we prepare more home meals, we grow more fruits & veggies, and we don't gorge because we know that we can pretty much eat whenever we want.* We can actually wait until we're hungry or distract ourselves with other activities.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but a healthy diet is self-enforcing.* When I eat a big slug o' sugary, fatty junk food the gastro-intestinal reaction is pretty alarming.* It even scares me.

There's lots more time for leisurely afternoon sex.* Or morning.* Or when the kid has gone to bed and we grownups are still actually awake.* It's even better with my spouse.

We have much more time to pet the kid's rabbit.* Although unfortunately we've read that housepets live longer when they're well-petted...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:46 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Eh the sleep aint too bad. He decided in the last week to forgo sleeping through the night and get up every 3 hours instead. And then sometimes wake up again 14.2 seconds after I fall asleep from putting him back down. This week momma goes back to work, but she's changing to day shifts from night shifts, so it wont be so bad. But I'll "own" him 100% for ~3-4 days a week.

He's a peach though...sitting here in my lap drooling profusely, waiting to go for a ride to the mall...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote