How healthy is your lifestyle?

I'm slowly coming around to taking care of me. Italien food wine and manhattans ruled my life until a few years months ... until recently. DW came up with her own fantastic basalmic salad dressing w/ a bit of bleu cheese. I now have salad daily, instead of never and cut way back on the manhattans. Portion control is the next challenge.

I'm 5'9 and ~ 155 lbs.

The same as I was in high school.

I've maintained the same weight all my adult life.

I'll be 62 in October.

Each day I'll have a couple of the darkest beers around before supper.

Breakfast is always a strong coffee. Half hour later a large glass of grapefruit juice. Then a huge bowl of cooled oatmeal mixed with ground flaxseed, cinnamon and probiotic yogurt.

I think most early retirees are responsible people...that is, they take responsibility for themselves.

One healthy habit that I did not see is drinking......water, that is. The first thing I do every morning is drink 2-3 glasses of H2O. Then, I drink more during the day... and in the evening.

Also, orange juice is one of those things that I consider a magic food for health. Your mileage may vary....

And I, on the other hand, happened upon this thread just as I was biting into a HoHo .....  :-[

OJ works wonders for morning cotton mouth... :-X

Used to run 12+ mi/wk, but knees don't like it so much anymore. Like to bike, strength training, walk a lot.

Eat low-fat, whole grains, lots o' veggies, but still eat meat/poultry/fish.

50, 6ft, 155lbs

Still struggling with tobacco habit.................. :(

Have Funds said:
OJ works wonders for morning cotton mouth... :-X

Used to run 12+ mi/wk, but knees don't like it so much anymore. Like to bike, strength training, walk a lot.

Eat low-fat, whole grains, lots o' veggies, but still eat meat/poultry/fish.

50, 6ft, 155lbs

Still struggling with tobacco habit.................. :(

Hi Have,

Add 2" and 60 pounds and I'm with you! If you need that OJ in the morn... you might also be strugglin' wit de alkehol. Shankfully I doshent have zat probrem.

BUM said:
Hi Have,

Add 2" and 60 pounds and I'm with you! If you need that OJ in the morn... you might also be strugglin' wit de alkehol.  Shankfully I doshent have zat probrem.

Hey, I was thinking about this (my diet) yesterday. This is it for that particular day (don't try this at home) :)

Breakfast was a small glass of water, a Slimfast snack bar, a Frappacino
and my reg. doses of Ginkgo, vit. C and aspirin.

Lunch was low fat milk and a quarter pounder with cheese (bun removed -
dog ate it) :),

Supper time........large vodka martini (or 2 halves, depending on how you count)
canned herring with green peppers (yummy), two (2) Slimfast bars and two (2)
glasses of water.

On looking this over I am reminded of a line from the movie 'As Good as it Gets',
"You're gonna die with that diet!" :)

Disclaimer: this was a very odd day diet-wise. I was on the go all day long and
never paid any attention until I went to bed. That's when the ruminating began.
Anyway, very non-typical. Wish I drank more water.

I am 5-9 and 155lbs. Been right there since I remarried 3 years ago.
Before that I was right on 150 lbs. for 20 years. Just lucky I guess.

JG

...another topic of high interest to me. You wouldn't guess it from my photo.... hey hey HEY! But I did manage to give up the cigars (and booze too) about 18 years ago. Since then I've become a total health freek. I even worked in a health food store selling vitamins just to learn about what works etc. I also studied chinese medicine for a year. My friends think I'm nUtZ because I eat seaweed... Not having health insurance kind of helps inspire one to take care of one's self. I like the analogy made earlier in the string about investing in health for future returns. Health has to come first, no?

pb

I don't have a drinking problem: I drink, I get drunk, I fall down... NO PROBLEM!

Or how 'bout: I have a drinking problem: two hands, only one mouth!!

Ba dum bump...I'll be here all week folks, try the veal!

VoyT....did the hoho sue after you bit them?

Bum - you stopped struggling?

See JG...how easy that is? ;)

Have Funds said:
I don't have a drinking problem: I drink, I get drunk, I fall down... NO PROBLEM!
Or how 'bout: I have a drinking problem: two hands, only one mouth!!
"I used to have a drug problem, but now I make enough money to afford it."
                                                                      -- David Lee Roth

Our lifestyle's become disgustingly healthy.

There's a complete absence of workplace-related stress.  (Now it's my own darn fault.)

We're getting enough sleep.  (You remember that, TH, right?)  We can take naps pretty much whenever we want.  We don't have to chug caffeine to achieve full consciousness (or more accurately "less unconsciousness").

We're exposed to much less HAZMAT without commuting or being in an industrial environment.  We don't take insane driving risks or procedural shortcuts or blow our tempers.

We have time to work out.  That's a couple of spouse evening walks every week, tae kwon do 3x/week with the kid (she's started sparring a double class on Fridays which has taught her a lot about dehydration & anaerobic metabolism), surfing 1-2x/week, and all the free yardwork I can handle.  We even add an occasional weekend father/daughter trip to the weight room.  I can read about exercise & flexibility and I can actually do something about it.  (Once again it's my own darn fault.)

When you're exercising (or doing chores) all day and you're chugging ibuprofen to pay for your boomeritis, it's not good to stress your liver with alcohol.  So my beer consumption is maybe 2-3 a month.

We have time to "fix" our diet.  We eat less convenience food & drink, we prepare more home meals, we grow more fruits & veggies, and we don't gorge because we know that we can pretty much eat whenever we want.  We can actually wait until we're hungry or distract ourselves with other activities.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but a healthy diet is self-enforcing.  When I eat a big slug o' sugary, fatty junk food the gastro-intestinal reaction is pretty alarming.  It even scares me.

There's lots more time for leisurely afternoon sex.  Or morning.  Or when the kid has gone to bed and we grownups are still actually awake.  It's even better with my spouse.

We have much more time to pet the kid's rabbit.  Although unfortunately we've read that housepets live longer when they're well-petted...

Eh the sleep aint too bad. He decided in the last week to forgo sleeping through the night and get up every 3 hours instead. And then sometimes wake up again 14.2 seconds after I fall asleep from putting him back down. This week momma goes back to work, but she's changing to day shifts from night shifts, so it wont be so bad. But I'll "own" him 100% for ~3-4 days a week.

He's a peach though...sitting here in my lap drooling profusely, waiting to go for a ride to the mall...

My lifestyle used to be alot healthier than it is at the present time. I am small boned, 52 and my weight has crept up to 129. My all time high was 135 when I had my daughter at age 35. I had a bone density test and it is showing that I have thinning bones. I am not good at taking calcium pills or the chews, but I do like milk and drink a couple of glasses a day. I drink lots of water.

I go in spells where I eat pretty good and fair amount of exercise and then I fall off the wagon. Daughter's schedule is pretty demanding and she is a very picky eater. We do a lot of take-out and I am sure that is helping to contribute to the recent weight gain. Also, I unfortunately have a huge sweet tooth! I normally walk for exercise and have just started back in this week.

I was able to kick the tobacco habit at the end of 1985. I would love to have the money that went up in smoke from DH and myself!!

Dreamer

Eagle, as I've mentioned before, you and I are the same age.

You do come across a little to the right than me. :D I think I'm more in Cut_Throat's range in my old age. ; :LOL:

I think in life you go the opposite to what you were in your youth.

I was very right wing, pro Viet Nam in the 60's, but now that I have my own kids and grandkids, I'm more centred in "MY"60's. I think Iraq is a total f*ck up! :(

As to your question above, I'm Canadian and I accessed our Canada Pension Plan at 60.

Every eligible Canadian is also entitled to Old Age Security at 65.

CPP + OAS is pretty close to SS.

Maybe we'll cross paths some day.

Mrs. Zipper and I like to head south in winter.

London ON is a cross between Detroit and Buffalo in the winter! :dead:

Spring, summer and fall are great though. Great beaches within minutes. :)

Zipper said:

Well, hey..............at least we agree on London Ont. :)

Had lunch with my only brother today. I would say he is a health nut.
He does drink, but otherwise is very careful about his diet. He also
rides a stationary bike and does 500 "crunches" EVERY day. Been doing it for
decades. He used to do 100 push ups daily but can't any more
(all sorts of arm/shoulder problems - me too). Anyway, he sure looks good.
I am too lazy to go through all that. Fortunately, I can keep my weight down by
dieting and walking. Beyond that, my genes will have to save me.

JG

Nords, I too have found that since I started eating healthy that I suffer greatly when I indulge in the foods I used to crave. I had a carne asada burrito today and my stomach is screaming at me right now.

TH, no teeth yet? Just wait until that first one comes in, YOUCH! I let her take my finger to play with and all of a sudden I thought a switchblade was stuck in my knuckle! Why are baby's teeth that sharp if all they can eat is baby food:confused:

I don't want to boast, but for the "science" of the survey...I thought I'd chime in. I'm 49 and work out at the Y almost everyday -especially in winter. I shoot the basketball around to loosen up, then get on the lifecycle for a 20 minute hard ride, then to the weights. Before I joined the Y all I did was walk the beach and do push-ups (I was up to 150 and I did 180 a few times) and then a little swimming. Now my new "goal" is to do 25 chin-ups by next birthday (50th). I'm 6'2"+ and 173 lbs. Now that the weather is nice I've been outside on my bike more getting as much sun as I can.

Another point that I'd make is that as far as eating healthy, I have plenty of time to do things right cuz I have nothing better to do. I see this as another big advantage to being retired. Plus, I love to cook. I see alot of working folks who never have time to eat right and they pay for it in poor health.

-pb

Zipper said:
Eagle, as I've mentioned before, you and I are the same age.

You do come across a little to the right than me. :D I think I'm more in Cut_Throat's range in my old age. ; :LOL:

I think in life you go the opposite to what you were in your youth.

I was very right wing, pro Viet Nam in the 60's, but now that I have my own kids and grandkids, I'm more centred in "MY"60's. I think Iraq is a total f*ck up! :(

As to your question above, I'm Canadian and I accessed our Canada Pension Plan at 60.

Every eligible Canadian is also entitled to Old Age Security at 65.

CPP + OAS is pretty close to SS.

Maybe we'll cross paths some day.

Mrs. Zipper and I like to head south in winter.

Spring, summer and fall are great though. Great beaches within minutes. :)
Well, thanks for answering.

I'd love to meet you and Mrs Zipper if paths cross. Then we could get a cold one and really debate. I'm going back to Canada one day. I want to take the train across the southern tier. Maybe we could look you up. :)

Dreamer said:
My lifestyle used to be alot healthier than it is at the present time.  I am small boned, 52 and my weight has crept up to 129.  My all time high was 135 when I had my daughter at age 35. 

Dreamer, we are close here. I'm 48 and very small boned, my weight started creeping up this year, I'm at 127. I've started walking for an hour after work and hit the gym about 4 days a week for 1/2 hour. I'm starting to see some improvements.

I quit smoking and drinking five years ago and feel much better.

I haven't had a bone density test yet, but I was warned that it's worse for those of us who are small boned.

I did have my cholesterol tested and yikes - 293. I can't believe it, I haven't eaten any meat except seafood since I was 19. My good cholesterol is very high, so I am avoiding the statins.

I'll see if the exercise does any good at my next physical. I'm thinking that my cholesterol is a genetic thing so I doubt it will drop much.

I was always healthy till I hit my forties. I started having dizzy spells and a hearing loss. In the process of determining I have Meniere's (an inner ear thing) they discovered a brain anuerysm. The brain anuerysm was taken care of and I'm on meds for the Menieres. The other thing that started in my 40's is anxiety. Nasty stuff, I went on Zoloft for that and it has taken care of the problem. I'm hoping I have taken care of everything and will have clear sailing for a while...

Best of luck to us all,

-helen

A long healthy future to both of you. :)

th said:
Eh the sleep aint too bad. He decided in the last week to forgo sleeping through the night and get up every 3 hours instead. And then sometimes wake up again 14.2 seconds after I fall asleep from putting him back down. This week momma goes back to work, but she's changing to day shifts from night shifts, so it wont be so bad. But I'll "own" him 100% for ~3-4 days a week.

He's a peach though...sitting here in my lap drooling profusely, waiting to go for a ride to the mall...

TH,
Not sure if parenting advice has caught up with this today, but we were always told to make the kids sleep in another room and learn to fall asleep without you yada yada. We finally brought his little bed in next to ours, and/or stuck a mattress on the floor of his room and slept on it alongside him. It worked out great for everybody and no longlasting psychological damage as was warned. And best of all, good sleep all around for the parents, and the kids.

The new appraoch started the day I broke his crib when I fell asleep hanging over the side of the damned thiing trying to pat once him every umpteen seconds or whatever the silly regimine was.

ESRBob said:
Not sure if parenting advice has caught up with this today....

They've even given it a name: "the family bed." We took that route too. It was the only way we could sleep, and I *love* sleep. We eventually transitioned the kid to a separate bed next to ours, and then to her own bedroom by the time she was two. She still crowds in with us once in a while. I strongly recommend getting a king-size bed if you take this route.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom