Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Funny story. If I fly to my parents, the closest I can get is an hour away and that includes a 6 hour layover in Chicago. Total travel time, 12 hours.

If I drive, 13 hours

Or, I fly to Chicago and rent a car to drive the rest. total time, 5 hours.

You know FinanceDude, you might have a point. If an airline catered only to business travellers, I bet they could get by with a significantly smaller flight staff since they could probably black out certain days (wed-thurs for instance) and cater just to the fly-in Sunday / fly-out Friday crowd.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:13 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Funny story. If I fly to my parents, the closest I can get is an hour away and that includes a 6 hour layover in Chicago. Total travel time, 12 hours.

If I drive, 13 hours

Or, I fly to Chicago and rent a car to drive the rest. total time, 5 hours.

You know FinanceDude, you might have a point. If an airline catered only to business travellers, I bet they could get by with a significantly smaller flight staff since they could probably black out certain days (wed-thurs for instance) and cater just to the fly-in Sunday / fly-out Friday crowd.
Lay-overs are a killer. I like to fly non-stop with my littler kids (8 and 6). However, I would rather drive than have two stops and have 3 hours in layover.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerun View Post
We just did a fly thru PHX yesterday and what a mess. Good luck getting from one place or another on time. Had to spend a night at a hotel. The plane was broken, yes broken that is what we were told after a 3 hour wait. Then sorry good luck finding a person helpful. Us air what a terrible company.

We are still trying to get back east. Two flights today have been cancelled. Glad I have my laptop and a wifi connection. As we sit and wait.
That sucks. I flew US Air to Phoenix and back and had GREAT service. Wonder what happened? I suppose maintenance along with everything else is being cut these days.........

Hello, bullet trains

Old 07-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
So the price of airfare from DFW to Orlando doubles - well so has the price of gas to drive there. (you still can't drive from DFW to Hawaii)
As a father of three kids, though, any price increases associated with flying have quadruple the effect on my bottom line.

Later this month, I'm taking my kids on a driving trip to visit my sister the next state over.

In September, I'm flying solo to the East Coast to visit my other sister using some credit card reward points to pay for the ticket.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:54 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

My aunt and uncle drove up from South Carolina to see me this past week. Air fare would have been almost $1000 for the two of them. He made it up to my house on $120 worth of gas so he was happy. it took him 15 hours, the airline would have been two hours.
Does the 'airline time' include getting to and from the airport, and time before boarding?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Does the 'airline time' include getting to and from the airport, and time before boarding?
It does (in spades) when you are travelling with small children.

For us, air travel happens to basically two destinations: visiting DW's family and the "go find the sun for a week" mid-winter getaway. The former is not negotiable, so I imagine we will just shell out. For the latter, I might seriously entertain the idea of a driving trip down to GA, FL, etc.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
It does (in spades) when you are travelling with small children.

For us, air travel happens to basically two destinations: visiting DW's family and the "go find the sun for a week" mid-winter getaway. The former is not negotiable, so I imagine we will just shell out. For the latter, I might seriously entertain the idea of a driving trip down to GA, FL, etc.
Think of the "fun"you'll have in the car. It has been my experience that between the TSA lines, ticketing, gate waiting, taxiing, waiting for other aircraft, etc, you can effectively DOUBLE the FLIGHT time, along with adding time for layovers..............

Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #28

Moral of the story -- Find a place where you'd be happy to spend the rest of your life, because you may not be able to afford straying very far from it...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The Travel Channel aired a program last night about the sorry state of the airlines. A talking head on the program stated that the airlines' fleets were not capable of flying profitably at $50 oil, let alone $140+. Of course, when you're bleeding cash by the billions, it's hard to upgrade your fleet.

The good news, though, is that after several fiascos, culminating in the infamous ten-hour stay on the tarmac by a Jet Blue flight, Jet Blue instituted a "Passenger Bill of Rights", wherein it is written, on whatever it is that they write it on up there, that any further incidents that exceed four hours will result in some remedial action...

BFD...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The Travel Channel aired a program last night about the sorry state of the airlines. A talking head on the program stated that the airlines' fleets were not capable of flying profitably at $50 oil, let alone $140+. Of course, when you're bleeding cash by the billions, it's hard to upgrade your fleet.

The good news, though, is that after several fiascos, culminating in the infamous ten-hour stay on the tarmac by a Jet Blue flight, Jet Blue instituted a "Passenger Bill of Rights", wherein it is written, on whatever it is that they write it on up there, that any further incidents that exceed four hours will result in some remedial action...

BFD...
years ago, I read something that stated for every 5 cents jet fuel goes up, it's annualized cost to the airline industry was $1 billion.........yikes!!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
That sucks. I flew US Air to Phoenix and back and had GREAT service. Wonder what happened? I suppose maintenance along with everything else is being cut these days.........

Hello, bullet trains
yesterday when we flew into PHX the CRJ jet we flew had the most disgusting rest room I have ever seen on a plane. I had seat 14 right next to the awful smell. 2 hours next to it full plane could not move plus ever fly a canada air jet the 100 model?? Small baby small. Mesa Air runs these for usair express.

Anyway it turns out that the same flight I took on that plane yesterday was cancelled today due to maintence issues. Heck there were not enough guys on the tarmac to get the stairs to get off the plane.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Think of the "fun"you'll have in the car.
Indeed. We have a 3+ hour drive coming up in a few weeks to go to a music festival. I suspect we will be stopping at least twice for potty/boredom breaks. These are a lot easier when all you have to do is find a place to park and walk the kids back to the trailer (with kitchen, bathroom, toys, etc. inside).

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Moral of the story -- Find a place where you'd be happy to spend the rest of your life, because you may not be able to afford straying very far from it...
But, in this economy, think of the money you'll save on your new house!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

With the fact that air travel is really starting to suck, think we should start shorting Time share stocks? What used to be a $350 RT to Cabo for us is now almost $700. In addition the connections are terrible. Used to be able to leave GEG at 0700 and get into SJD by 1330. Last time I looked for fares it was depart at 0700 and arrive a 1930. Unless we overnight at LAX we get to drive to the condo in the dark . For those who have had that adventure of driving in Mexico at night you can relate. It can be fun
Old 07-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I sure can't complain about being stuck in Hawaii. But I do hope that Nords borrowed a nuclear reactor from one of his subs and is planning on installing in a boat, so I can afford to leave here every once in a while.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #36

I think there might be a big dose of BS in the spin that it is all down to rising fuel costs. How come I can fly from San Diego to Honolulu for $829 for a 5 hour flight, yet Honolulu to Sydney is only $1200 for a 10 hour flight. I would think the international flight would use a lot more fuel and the costs of accommodating staff at a foreign location would add in mucho dinero. I sense the airlines are seeing this as a good opportunity to push the baseline prices up, and no matter what happens to fuel prices we will be lucky to see them return to previous levels.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerun View Post
We just did a fly thru PHX yesterday and what a mess. Good luck getting from one place or another on time. Had to spend a night at a hotel. The plane was broken, yes broken that is what we were told after a 3 hour wait. Then sorry good luck finding a person helpful. Us air what a terrible company.

We are still trying to get back east. Two flights today have been cancelled. Glad I have my laptop and a wifi connection. As we sit and wait.
Ya stuff happens. Ive been fairly lucky and have avoided too much trouble. Ive heard the horror stories.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I agree, despite the recent increases, the prices are still within our range as well. The day we can't afford to fly anymore on our income, then airplanes are going to be awfully empty. But it's getting to the point where I don't feel I am getting enough value from air travel. Plus I am getting tired to be nickel and dimed by the airlines (what's next? in case of an emergency please purchase your flotation device from the flight attendant for the modest price of $5?). Flying used to be a no brainer for us, but I think that on short to medium trips driving has become a much better value. So to answer the OP's question, airfares (at least on some routes) have already gone too high as far as I am concerned.
I understand. However for us flying from California all the way to the east coast the price is worth it. Especially when you only have 2 to 3 weeks off. Since driving across country in the middle of the winter might take a decent amount of time both ways We choose to pay the piper.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The thing that I don't understand is the airfare is going up but cruise prices are dirt cheap .
The cruise industry has adapted better to high fuel costs:

Cruise.jpg
Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I understand. However for us flying from California all the way to the east coast the price is worth it. Especially when you only have 2 to 3 weeks off. Since driving across country in the middle of the winter might take a decent amount of time both ways We choose to pay the piper.
Yeah I know, we are going to a wedding in San Francisco next year and we'll be paying the piper too, it's just too much driving from AL. But we used to fly from AL to NC, IN and FL. I think given how much airfares have increased we'd probably consider driving now.