How High Will Airfares Go???

Does the 'airline time' include getting to and from the airport, and time before boarding?

It does (in spades) when you are travelling with small children. :p

For us, air travel happens to basically two destinations: visiting DW's family and the "go find the sun for a week" mid-winter getaway. The former is not negotiable, so I imagine we will just shell out. For the latter, I might seriously entertain the idea of a driving trip down to GA, FL, etc.

It does (in spades) when you are travelling with small children. :p

For us, air travel happens to basically two destinations: visiting DW's family and the "go find the sun for a week" mid-winter getaway. The former is not negotiable, so I imagine we will just shell out. For the latter, I might seriously entertain the idea of a driving trip down to GA, FL, etc.

Think of the "fun"you'll have in the car. It has been my experience that between the TSA lines, ticketing, gate waiting, taxiing, waiting for other aircraft, etc, you can effectively DOUBLE the FLIGHT time, along with adding time for layovers..............:p

Moral of the story -- Find a place where you'd be happy to spend the rest of your life, because you may not be able to afford straying very far from it...

The Travel Channel aired a program last night about the sorry state of the airlines. A talking head on the program stated that the airlines' fleets were not capable of flying profitably at $50 oil, let alone $140+. Of course, when you're bleeding cash by the billions, it's hard to upgrade your fleet.

The good news, though, is that after several fiascos, culminating in the infamous ten-hour stay on the tarmac by a Jet Blue flight, Jet Blue instituted a "Passenger Bill of Rights", wherein it is written, on whatever it is that they write it on up there, that any further incidents that exceed four hours will result in some remedial action...

BFD...

The Travel Channel aired a program last night about the sorry state of the airlines. A talking head on the program stated that the airlines' fleets were not capable of flying profitably at $50 oil, let alone $140+. Of course, when you're bleeding cash by the billions, it's hard to upgrade your fleet.

The good news, though, is that after several fiascos, culminating in the infamous ten-hour stay on the tarmac by a Jet Blue flight, Jet Blue instituted a "Passenger Bill of Rights", wherein it is written, on whatever it is that they write it on up there, that any further incidents that exceed four hours will result in some remedial action...

BFD...

years ago, I read something that stated for every 5 cents jet fuel goes up, it's annualized cost to the airline industry was $1 billion.........yikes!!!!

That sucks. I flew US Air to Phoenix and back and had GREAT service. Wonder what happened? I suppose maintenance along with everything else is being cut these days.........:p

Hello, bullet trains:confused:

yesterday when we flew into PHX the CRJ jet we flew had the most disgusting rest room I have ever seen on a plane. I had seat 14 right next to the awful smell. 2 hours next to it full plane could not move plus ever fly a canada air jet the 100 model?? Small baby small. Mesa Air runs these for usair express.

Anyway it turns out that the same flight I took on that plane yesterday was cancelled today due to maintence issues. Heck there were not enough guys on the tarmac to get the stairs to get off the plane.

Think of the "fun"you'll have in the car.

Indeed. We have a 3+ hour drive coming up in a few weeks to go to a music festival. I suspect we will be stopping at least twice for potty/boredom breaks. These are a lot easier when all you have to do is find a place to park and walk the kids back to the trailer (with kitchen, bathroom, toys, etc. inside).

Moral of the story -- Find a place where you'd be happy to spend the rest of your life, because you may not be able to afford straying very far from it...

But, in this economy, think of the money you'll save on your new house! :)

With the fact that air travel is really starting to suck, think we should start shorting Time share stocks? What used to be a $350 RT to Cabo for us is now almost $700. In addition the connections are terrible. Used to be able to leave GEG at 0700 and get into SJD by 1330. Last time I looked for fares it was depart at 0700 and arrive a 1930. Unless we overnight at LAX :duh::duh: we get to drive to the condo in the dark :bat::bat::bat:. For those who have had that adventure of driving in Mexico at night you can relate. It can be fun :D:D:D

I sure can't complain about being stuck in Hawaii. But I do hope that Nords borrowed a nuclear reactor from one of his subs and is planning on installing in a boat, so I can afford to leave here every once in a while.

Last edited:
I think there might be a big dose of BS in the spin that it is all down to rising fuel costs. How come I can fly from San Diego to Honolulu for $829 for a 5 hour flight, yet Honolulu to Sydney is only $1200 for a 10 hour flight. I would think the international flight would use a lot more fuel and the costs of accommodating staff at a foreign location would add in mucho dinero. I sense the airlines are seeing this as a good opportunity to push the baseline prices up, and no matter what happens to fuel prices we will be lucky to see them return to previous levels.

We just did a fly thru PHX yesterday and what a mess. Good luck getting from one place or another on time. Had to spend a night at a hotel. The plane was broken, yes broken that is what we were told after a 3 hour wait. Then sorry good luck finding a person helpful. Us air what a terrible company.

We are still trying to get back east. Two flights today have been cancelled. Glad I have my laptop and a wifi connection. As we sit and wait.

Ya stuff happens. Ive been fairly lucky and have avoided too much trouble. Ive heard the horror stories.

I agree, despite the recent increases, the prices are still within our range as well. The day we can't afford to fly anymore on our income, then airplanes are going to be awfully empty. But it's getting to the point where I don't feel I am getting enough value from air travel. Plus I am getting tired to be nickel and dimed by the airlines (what's next? in case of an emergency please purchase your flotation device from the flight attendant for the modest price of $5?). Flying used to be a no brainer for us, but I think that on short to medium trips driving has become a much better value. So to answer the OP's question, airfares (at least on some routes) have already gone too high as far as I am concerned.

I understand. However for us flying from California all the way to the east coast the price is worth it. Especially when you only have 2 to 3 weeks off. Since driving across country in the middle of the winter might take a decent amount of time both ways :) We choose to pay the piper.

The thing that I don't understand is the airfare is going up but cruise prices are dirt cheap .
The cruise industry has adapted better to high fuel costs:

View attachment 3883

Last edited:
I understand. However for us flying from California all the way to the east coast the price is worth it. Especially when you only have 2 to 3 weeks off. Since driving across country in the middle of the winter might take a decent amount of time both ways :) We choose to pay the piper.

Yeah I know, we are going to a wedding in San Francisco next year and we'll be paying the piper too, it's just too much driving from AL. But we used to fly from AL to NC, IN and FL. I think given how much airfares have increased we'd probably consider driving now.

Yeah I know, we are going to a wedding in San Francisco next year and we'll be paying the piper too, it's just too much driving from AL. But we used to fly from AL to NC, IN and FL. I think given how much airfares have increased we'd probably consider driving now.

I would drive if it was cheaper. However from Sacramento to Houston TX I can get a 1 stop ticket for 260 bucks. By the time I paid for fuel and a hotel room since I cant drive straight through. It would cost near the same. Not worth it to me.

I would drive if it was cheaper. However from Sacramento to Houston TX I can get a 1 stop ticket for 260 bucks. By the time I paid for fuel and a hotel room since I cant drive straight through. It would cost near the same. Not worth it to me.

When the price is $520 or $600 you might think differently..........;)

I suppose if airfares go up that much. Auto fuel and the price of a hotel room will also have gone up :)

I still believe the reason we went on "family vacations" and drove everywhere, is because Dad and Mom thought airfare was ridiculously expensive, and maybe back then it was (before de-regulation)...........

However from Sacramento to Houston TX I can get a 1 stop ticket for 260 bucks. By the time I paid for fuel and a hotel room since I cant drive straight through. It would cost near the same. Not worth it to me.
That's usually the result I get when comparing costs. However, if there are two or more people traveling, the driving cost is lower.

Back
Top Bottom