Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2017, 04:36 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
When it works it's fine. When you have a problem... there's a reason they have one of the lowest customer service ratings in any industry.
This is why I loathe, despise, and detest Comcast. We have just cable TV with them and if it wasn't for DW's opposition I'd turn them off in a heartbeat.

When we first moved to WV we had Comcast for cable and Internet. I was still teaching online via email and Internet would just up and quit, leaving my students hanging with no responses from me. They'd take days to fix it. Finally it was out for three days and they refused to send a tech so I told them "You have until 8:00 AM tomorrow to fix it or I'm turning in the box at 9:00 AM". I went back to dial up for the sake of reliability until DSL was available.

When FIL's house sold we gathered up the three boxes he had from Comcast for the cable TV from the location of the house near Frederick, MD and brought them back here to turn in at the local (to us) Comcast office. They initially tried to tell me I had to turn it in at their Frederick office and I refused, saying that's a two-hour round trip and their internal corporate boundaries are not my concern. Gimme a receipt and I'm outta here. They then tried the tactic that if the boxes became lost and FIL didn't pay for them it would go to collections. Calling that bluff I told them I didn't care, he's in a nursing home, will probably be dead within a year (he was) and DW is handling the finances. I assured them that any further bills in his name from Comcast would be ignored.

Did I mention that I hate Comcast?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #42

My favorite comcast story.

Years ago, I had Directv for TV and Comcast for internet. Their internet alone is fine. I switched to a single provider - Comcast phone/internet/tv bundle.

I rent the modem(it's a combo phone/internet modem). It took several modems and several installs before I got one that worked.

Generally it is the phone and internet that goes out. TV is fine. One time, I called them from my cell phone to tell them my phone & internet were not working. They said that they would be there between noon and 2 the next day. Nobody showed up, so I again called Comcast from my cell phone. I told them that they didn't show up. They said that I didn't answer their appointment confirmation call. Yep - to my house phone that wasn't working. I couldn't get it through to them that they shouldn't call my non working house phone for confirmation. I had to go to their office and explain the situation. Then they figured it out and got it fixed.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:00 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I hate Comcast.

The internet goes down for hours at least once a month. The speed is nowhere near what it is supposed to be. If there's a problem that they can't fix by resetting your modem, it must be in your wiring and they want to send out a tech in a week for a ridiculous service charge.

I have voice plus the medium speed internet. All in, $78 a month. Why google can't put fiber in their own backyard is beyond me. Comcast needs the competition.

My phone number is apparently in the name of someone else with the same last name. How is that possible? Tried to get that corrected twice. Maybe that person should be paying the bill.

I hate Comcast....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This is why I loathe, despise, and detest Comcast. We have just cable TV with them and if it wasn't for DW's opposition I'd turn them off in a heartbeat.

When we first moved to WV we had Comcast for cable and Internet. I was still teaching online via email and Internet would just up and quit, leaving my students hanging with no responses from me. They'd take days to fix it. Finally it was out for three days and they refused to send a tech so I told them "You have until 8:00 AM tomorrow to fix it or I'm turning in the box at 9:00 AM". I went back to dial up for the sake of reliability until DSL was available.

When FIL's house sold we gathered up the three boxes he had from Comcast for the cable TV from the location of the house near Frederick, MD and brought them back here to turn in at the local (to us) Comcast office. They initially tried to tell me I had to turn it in at their Frederick office and I refused, saying that's a two-hour round trip and their internal corporate boundaries are not my concern. Gimme a receipt and I'm outta here. They then tried the tactic that if the boxes became lost and FIL didn't pay for them it would go to collections. Calling that bluff I told them I didn't care, he's in a nursing home, will probably be dead within a year (he was) and DW is handling the finances. I assured them that any further bills in his name from Comcast would be ignored.

Did I mention that I hate Comcast?
This!

First, I should say I think service from any provider is very location-dependent. We've moved 15 +/- times in the past 30 yrs, and have used almost all providers...with positive & negative results.

Currently have Comcast in the SF Bay Area for both TV & internet. Internet works fine; fast enough & dependable. TV (their X1 system) is another story. We've been here 1.5 yrs & it's still not completely right, after multiple service visits. Currently evaluating DirecTV/AT&T pkg as a replacement.

Did I say I hate Comcast?
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #44

Comcast has very nice building in Center City Philly. They pay decent Dividends to FIL. But they are evil.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some interesting stories... I just heard one from my brother... but it was a small provider...

We tried to call him for Thanksgiving... phone did not work... out of service... Oh well...

So, oldest sis sends him a card and asked for his new number and to come down for Christmas... he did..

Said that the company he had was bought by someone else (do not know who bought either)... but they just decided to cut him off!!! He said he tried to call and got nowhere... so, got a new number as he could not port his old one...

Talk about bad service....
Old 01-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Comcast has very nice building in Center City Philly. They pay decent Dividends to FIL. But they are evil.
In the early 1980s I was dating a guy whose sister and BIL were in the business of buying cable TV franchises, adding subscribers and enhancing the channel offerings, and reselling them at a profit. (They wound it down a few years ago- very smart and very rich people.) I asked them what cable company stock they'd recommend and they said Comcast was "a good little company". And so it was. It split several times and my basis was about $2/share (it's at almost $70 right now). I have almost none of it left; I donated it along the way to various capital campaigns to get the tax deduction and avoid the capital gains taxes. It's been a heck of a ride, though.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

There were sure some interesting "I hate Comcast" stories.

I've had them for internet for 15 years, and it's been generally good.

I think I may verify exactly what the cost will be, and, if it's as expected, then switch the TV and phone to them as well. I'll sign up for the two-year contract, and during the two years of cost savings, consider cutting the cord on the TV and also getting rid of the phone. My wife seems more open to the idea than I expected.

Thanks, friends, for all your input.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
There were sure some interesting "I hate Comcast" stories.

I've had them for internet for 15 years, and it's been generally good.

I think I may verify exactly what the cost will be, and, if it's as expected, then switch the TV and phone to them as well. I'll sign up for the two-year contract, and during the two years of cost savings, consider cutting the cord on the TV and also getting rid of the phone. My wife seems more open to the idea than I expected.

Thanks, friends, for all your input.

That is one of the problems with a 'bad' company..... it is only when you have problems when you find out it can be bad... or in Comcast's case when you try and cut off their service (from a good number of the stories I have read)...

As an example, I hate Ford... every one of my Fords have been crappy.... every one!!! But I know people who love them... because there are some 'good' Fords out there... but I will never find out as I will never buy another one in my life... and if I pass it on neither will my children...
Old 01-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Power lines might be another option in the future for internet. It's not a new idea, but the technology appears to be closer. This would really help rural areas.

Faster, Cheaper Internet Service Coming Over Power Lines, AT&T says | Fortune.com
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I agree that this sounds like a really good time for the OP to consider dropping TV and landline phone service.

I dropped both 2-3 years ago, saving about $150/month, and honestly I don't miss either. Right now I'm thinking of moving to a cheaper cell phone and cell phone service than my present iPhone on Verizon. All this is not so much for me to save money, as to get the most value for my money. YMMV
I am thrilled to report that I have switched to Cricket for my cell phone. There are some excellent cell phone plans out there, and I seriously checked into quite a few of them (thanks for the great suggestions, everyone!), but Cricket was the best fit for me. I had my number transferred over to my new, free Cricket "LG Spree" phone, and activated the phone about five minutes ago. I called F, and he called me back, and both work beautifully.

As soon as I can get Verizon to stop billing me, my cell phone bill will magically change from $61.34/month to $30/month, so this makes me happy.

Happy, happy, joy, joy...
That's $31.34/month in savings, or $376.08/year, all of which I plan to happily fritter away on discretionary items from Amazon. Plus, I saved another $150/month from dropping my landline and cable TV, so that's $181.34 saved which is about $2176/year.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Power lines might be another option in the future for internet. It's not a new idea, but the technology appears to be closer. This would really help rural areas.

Faster, Cheaper Internet Service Coming Over Power Lines, AT&T says | Fortune.com
Living in a rural area, I think this and the flying car are in a dead heat to see which arrives first...

Note there have been no updates to the progress of "Project AirGig" since this article was published four months ago.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Unfortunately, Comcast is the only game in town in my area. TV and Internet service were terrible the first two years I had them at my new house. TV pictures cutting in and out, and internet working intermittently. Called many times and was told nothing was wrong on their end. They said it must be my brand new Motorola router that's the problem and I should rent one from them. That wasn't going to happen. Service calls were scheduled on two occasions and no one ever showed up. Finally I called very early one morning and got someone who's first language was English for a change. He was somehow able to tell that during the previous week, my internet service cut in and out over 120 times. He was apologetic and scheduled a service call. He told me that if the problem was outside the house there would be no charge. Service came on the scheduled day, two hours late, but found a bad connection outside. He replaced the splitter outside and some of the cable outside and service was much better. The technician said there would be no charge since all problems were outside the house. Next bill came and I was charged $120 for a service call. This was the last straw. I called to cancel and was refunded the $120 plus additional $ for aggravation. We still have to do the annual dance and threaten to cancel service to eliminate their huge annual rate increases but at least the service is ok for now. There are many websites dedicated to people's hatred of Comcast and their terrible customer service and I fully understand why.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Living in a rural area, I think this and the flying car are in a dead heat to see which arrives first...

Note there have been no updates to the progress of "Project AirGig" since this article was published four months ago.

I suspect you'll have a solution from SpaceX within the next couple of years. They are investing in this heavily and expect it to be a major source of revenue.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...gigabit-speed/
Old 01-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
I suspect you'll have a solution from SpaceX within the next couple of years. They are investing in this heavily and expect it to be a major source of revenue.

SpaceX plans worldwide satellite Internet with low latency, gigabit speed | Ars Technica
That's great but this statement...

Quote:
...the application’s technical description mentioned 2019 as a possible time for launching satellites into orbit....
...indicates the system will likely not be up and running for a few more years.

I'm not getting any younger and hope this is an option before I no longer know (or care) what an ISP is.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's great but this statement...

...indicates the system will likely not be up and running for a few more years.

I'm not getting any younger and hope this is an option before I no longer know (or care) what an ISP is.

That sounds about right. An article I read mentioned satellites being launched sometime in 2018. So most likely 2019-2020. And the WSJ article mentioned revenue projections by 2025. This is definitely not going to be quick. At least it's being planned and with Musk behind it, it'll most likely happen.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:24 PM   #56

Comcast? I am taking the 5th. I think they pride themselves on being called the crappiest customer service provider.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Comcast? I am taking the 5th. I think they pride themselves on being called the crappiest customer service provider.
It's hard to believe, but I have heard that Comcast is even worse than Cox Cable, our only choice for high speed cable internet here. You know, Cox Cable, the one that has given me worse than intermittent internet service, with multiple multi-hour interruptions in service the last couple of days...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote