How is your service from Comcast? (Phone/TV/Internet)

Power lines might be another option in the future for internet. It's not a new idea, but the technology appears to be closer. This would really help rural areas.

Faster, Cheaper Internet Service Coming Over Power Lines, AT&T says | Fortune.com

Living in a rural area, I think this and the flying car are in a dead heat to see which arrives first...

Note there have been no updates to the progress of "Project AirGig" since this article was published four months ago.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Comcast is the only game in town in my area. TV and Internet service were terrible the first two years I had them at my new house. TV pictures cutting in and out, and internet working intermittently. Called many times and was told nothing was wrong on their end. They said it must be my brand new Motorola router that's the problem and I should rent one from them. That wasn't going to happen. Service calls were scheduled on two occasions and no one ever showed up. Finally I called very early one morning and got someone who's first language was English for a change. He was somehow able to tell that during the previous week, my internet service cut in and out over 120 times. He was apologetic and scheduled a service call. He told me that if the problem was outside the house there would be no charge. Service came on the scheduled day, two hours late, but found a bad connection outside. He replaced the splitter outside and some of the cable outside and service was much better. The technician said there would be no charge since all problems were outside the house. Next bill came and I was charged $120 for a service call. This was the last straw. I called to cancel and was refunded the $120 plus additional $ for aggravation. We still have to do the annual dance and threaten to cancel service to eliminate their huge annual rate increases but at least the service is ok for now. There are many websites dedicated to people's hatred of Comcast and their terrible customer service and I fully understand why.

Living in a rural area, I think this and the flying car are in a dead heat to see which arrives first...

Note there have been no updates to the progress of "Project AirGig" since this article was published four months ago.

I suspect you'll have a solution from SpaceX within the next couple of years. They are investing in this heavily and expect it to be a major source of revenue.

http://arstechnica.com/information-...lite-internet-with-low-latency-gigabit-speed/

I suspect you'll have a solution from SpaceX within the next couple of years. They are investing in this heavily and expect it to be a major source of revenue.

SpaceX plans worldwide satellite Internet with low latency, gigabit speed | Ars Technica

That's great but this statement...

...the application’s technical description mentioned 2019 as a possible time for launching satellites into orbit....

...indicates the system will likely not be up and running for a few more years.

I'm not getting any younger and hope this is an option before I no longer know (or care) what an ISP is.

That's great but this statement...

...indicates the system will likely not be up and running for a few more years.

I'm not getting any younger and hope this is an option before I no longer know (or care) what an ISP is.

That sounds about right. An article I read mentioned satellites being launched sometime in 2018. So most likely 2019-2020. And the WSJ article mentioned revenue projections by 2025. This is definitely not going to be quick. At least it's being planned and with Musk behind it, it'll most likely happen.

Comcast? I am taking the 5th. I think they pride themselves on being called the crappiest customer service provider.

Comcast? I am taking the 5th. I think they pride themselves on being called the crappiest customer service provider.

It's hard to believe, but I have heard that Comcast is even worse than Cox Cable, our only choice for high speed cable internet here. You know, Cox Cable, the one that has given me worse than intermittent internet service, with multiple multi-hour interruptions in service the last couple of days... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom