Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I think something is wrong with your water heater.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I think something is wrong with your water heater.
No, definitely its the lawyers

Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a Rinnai tankless. It states in the manual that it will automatically reset to a lower temp after a power outage. It's cold in the bathroom because it's farthest from the wood stove, and I can't justify heating up for the few minutes I'm not in the shower. And let's see, was there some other issue that was mentioned? I forget.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

OK, you may be sorta right. As far as I can tell, after large number of scalding injuries water heater manufacturers reduced their preset temps to 120 degrees. Apparently with your heater it returns to the preset after a power outage. That is a different issue, not a liability issue. It doesn't look like tanked water heaters return to a preset temp when the power is out.

Interestingly, when reading about this (not much, just an internet sampling) some say that the lower preset temps on water heater tanks result in risks of bacterial growth and you need to be up over 130 degrees to get past that issue. Of course, that is not an issue for the tankless heater.

So even just using the hot water faucet doesn't give you a high enough temp? If the preset is 120 degrees you would think that you would get hot enough water. What is the actual temperature of the water coming out of the faucet? Or is the preset less than 120?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I have not used a tankless heater, but the loss of the preset temperature is interesting. With the old-style heaters, the temperature is set mechanically; it cannot be lost with a power outage.

It appears that the new heaters are controlled electronically. Could it be that the loss of the setting is due to the manufacturer being too cheap to put in a non-volatile memory to store the data? Hence, on power up, they have to default to the lowest temperature setting.

PS. The tanked heater in my boonies home does have an electronic control module. However, its temperature is set with a knob (a potentiometer for geeky types, which is read by the controller), and this setting cannot be "lost" with power outages.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
It's a Rinnai tankless. It states in the manual that it will automatically reset to a lower temp after a power outage. It's cold in the bathroom because it's farthest from the wood stove, and I can't justify heating up for the few minutes I'm not in the shower. And let's see, was there some other issue that was mentioned? I forget.
I'm pretty cheap, er, uh, frugal, Al, but when it involves cold, wet, and naked, I run a small heater in the room while showering...

And, btw, this thread is useless without pics...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
OK, you may be sorta right. As far as I can tell, after large number of scalding injuries water heater manufacturers reduced their preset temps to 120 degrees.What is the actual temperature of the water coming out of the faucet? Or is the preset less than 120?
After a power outage it resets to 108 degrees. I usually have it set to the maximum of 120 degrees. The max is 120 instead of 135 because the installer saved himself some money by installing a bathroom controller rather than a main controller. I'd have to spend about $130 to get a new controller.

120 degrees works OK. With the low flow showerhead, the temp in the shower is 111 degrees. My theory is that the lower flow keeps the unit from running full tilt, but it doesn't make sense. If I turn on another faucet, the water gets hotter in the shower.

But that's hot enough for me, and too hot for Lena. The kitchen faucet gets the full 120. I'd prefer to run the dishwasher at 130, so someday I may get a new controller.

Quote:
T-Al, your threads, both in title as well as content, stimulate the imagination and generate an imagery I find troubling like no other on this forum...
You and me both.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look at maybe one in fifty threads, but your title pulled me into this one. Thanks for the warning. If I switch to a tankless, I'll look out for this problem.
BTW the lawyers would want you to walk carefully, not run, and be fully robed in order to avoid lawsuits for overexposure.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The kitchen faucet gets the full 120. I'd prefer to run the dishwasher at 130, so someday I may get a new controller.
Unless the dishwasher is you & Lena, your appliance may already have a heater installed in it to get the water up to temp.

But of course that uses electricity instead of gas and might drive up the cost a tad.

Our solar water tank spends most of the year between 140-155 degrees, and I have a mixing valve limiting the house hot water to ~138 degrees. Despite legions of lawyers alert for my liability safety, somehow we've managed to raise a family and host plenty of guests over the last decade without anyone parboiling themselves.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
After a power outage it resets to 108 degrees. I usually have it set to the maximum of 120 degrees. The max is 120 instead of 135 because the installer saved himself some money by installing a bathroom controller rather than a main controller. I'd have to spend about $130 to get a new controller.
Ah. An engineering problem not a legal problem. Would bringing up the maximum to 135 bring up reset to 123?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I turn on another faucet, the water gets hotter in the shower.

Ahh, another reason for me to not get a tankless heater. One of the greatest things ever about my painful bathroom remodeling was getting the 'new' pressure regulated valves in the showers. Finally, no hot/cold surges from others running a faucet, doing dishes, flushing a toilet. What relief! I wouldn't give that up for, heck, I dunno, I just wouldn't.

-ERD50
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The truth comes out ! Pay the $130 or continue to run naked !
Old 03-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The truth comes out ! Pay the $130 or continue to run naked !
Perhaps he might miss this opportunity?

Ha
Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Can you plug the controller into an old UPS? I'm assuming it is a gas heater.

A UPS might not provide enough electrical power for a shower.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #35
Administrator

Hopefully when you see the clocks blinking and you know you have had an interruption in power, you routinely reset the hot water heater temperature along with the time displayed by your clocks. (If your clocks don't blink at every power outage, buy the cheapest digital clock you can find and it will gladly oblige.)

We'd hate for Lena to see you running and frolicking about the house and garage all soapy, wet, naked, and slippery like that. She might get ideas.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
My guess is that if both the water and the garage are cold he won't be perceived as much of a threat (sorry T-al...)

We have a tankless Rheem with the remote control mounted on a wall outside one of the bathrooms. One of the challenges of living out in the country is regular brownouts / power outages. It takes about 30 seconds for the generator to come on when a power outage occurs. We've never had issues with the thermostat resetting. The remote control does have a battery in it. We've had this tankless water heater for a couple of years and have been pleased with it.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
The remote control does have a battery in it.
...not if you're practicing extreme LBYM.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
...not if you're practicing extreme LBYM.
I want to go on record that true blood Texicans are not opposed to running butt-nekid in just about any situation and any temperature. We are a hardy breed.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
I want to go on record that true blood Texicans are not opposed to running butt-nekid in just about any situation and any temperature. We are a hardy breed.
OK, then I'll go on record by quoting FinanceDude:

"This thread is USELESS without pictures"

Game on....

Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

108 degrees should feel plenty warm for a shower.

If you have a one-handle temperature control on your shower, there is a stop that is usually adjusted to prevent you from getting 100% hot water. On my Delta faucets, it's a plastic ring that you can move around. On the Kohlers I've seen, I think it's adjusted with an allen wrench. Might be worth looking into...

I set mine to allow full hot when I moved into this house, since I have no small children, keep the electric water heater around 120-125 degrees, but need full flow hot water towards the end of my shower if it's cold outside.