Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How long to keep a car ?
till it drops 65 69.15%
At 100,000 miles 7 7.45%
I trade in my car frequently 2 2.13%
none of above 20 21.28%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2009, 03:23 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess "till it drop" means repair costs are more than reasonable and/or car is not trusted enough to bring you back home at 1AM.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #62

At retirement we bought two new vehicles six months apart. The '03 Buick Century replaced an '89 Olds Cierra (basically the same car) with 125k miles on it and developing reliability problems. DW was the one who put off that purchase because she didn't want to take a new car to work and have it get beat up in the parking garage there.

Al though the '85 Chevy pickup didn't have major problems other than rust, falling headliner and cracking dashboard, one of the two fuel tanks had a leak so I just ran it dry and didn't use that tank for a couple of years. A new tank was going to be hard to find. So I waited to see what our "real world" expenses would be in retirement and then was comfortable buying a new '03 GMC pickup. The car now has 79k miles and the GMC 58k miles. Both get meticulous maintenance and we hope to get 200k+ miles out of them.

My car prior to the '85 Chevy truck was a 1970 Plymouth Duster that I bought at Blue Book price from my mother after my father died in '73. It lasted so long in part because I had a County car to commute in and do local driving in.

Before that we got our cars at a junk yard and did the necessary repairs to keep them running, but the days of being able to do all your own maintenance in the driveway are pretty much over now.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our threshold for deciding to repair/replace a major component (engine, transmission) is when the vehicle's Kelley Blue Book value is far exceeded by the cost of the repair.
For normal wear & tear repairs or rusted out items replacement, we do them ourselves because parts are cheaper at auto store vs dealer markup, most quality parts suppliers offer a lifetime warranty for no or a small extra cost, labor is free (dh2b) and no car payments is still a wonderful thing.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:55 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
LOL! I scored on a bank-owned condo. Then I realized that I lose more than the condo cost.

Shoulda bought that nice Audi A3 with 25k miles on it. I get to show up to social events without having to explain why I'm driving an old van.
Audis will make you cry with the maintenance they need........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 AM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Before that we got our cars at a junk yard and did the necessary repairs to keep them running....
My favorite old boss used to get all of his 'work' cars from the junkyard that a friend of his owned. He always had a fairly new car as the 'family-mobile', but only needed beater-junks for work.

Whenever he needed a 'new' work car, he'd call his buddy up, and tell him to pick one out and take it to his house. The old one would be sitting there....deceased.....with the title on the front seat, ready to be towed to the crusher. When the boss got off work, I'd give him a ride home so he could get into his 'new' car and go out a pay for it. I don't think he ever paid more than a couple hundred bucks. Some ran for several years.....some for as many months.....most died due to neglect (a.k.a. usually lack of oil).

After his buddy retired and closed the junkyard, he bought his wife a new 'family-mobile', and kept the old one for a work car....the first time he'd ever had a work car that wasn't at least 10 years old!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
My favorite old boss used to get all of his 'work' cars from the junkyard that a friend of his owned. He always had a fairly new car as the 'family-mobile', but only needed beater-junks for work.

Whenever he needed a 'new' work car, he'd call his buddy up, and tell him to pick one out and take it to his house. The old one would be sitting there....deceased.....with the title on the front seat, ready to be towed to the crusher. When the boss got off work, I'd give him a ride home so he could get into his 'new' car and go out a pay for it. I don't think he ever paid more than a couple hundred bucks. Some ran for several years.....some for as many months.....most died due to neglect (a.k.a. usually lack of oil).

After his buddy retired and closed the junkyard, he bought his wife a new 'family-mobile', and kept the old one for a work car....the first time he'd ever had a work car that wasn't at least 10 years old!
A hah - we used to do that in the 50's(high school/Junior college) - amazing what motor honey and a few other tricks could do to keep a $50 car running for a long time - plus you got money when you sold it back to the junkyard.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I try to keep my cars until they're no longer cost effective to pay for repairs on. I've had 3 new cars in the past 23 years, one of which I only kept for one year (yeah, not a good move on my part). My current car is 7 years old and hopefully I can drive it at least another 5 years. I had a Honda I bought in 1985 that I kept for 18 years....I used to joke that people judging me by my car would have thought I was broke because it looked in such bad shape at the end, but in reality I was well on my way to early retirement.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

I usually trade in my cars between 175000 and 200000kms which is about every 5-6yrs
Old 01-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
My son offered me a vg price on his Audi S-4. It is is fabulous shape, an incredible car in every way, but I am afraid of the maintenance committment.

I turned down a Boxster a few years back for the same reason. Plus with the Boxster I would likely have needed another vehicle.

Ha
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I love cars. If I were rich I'd be like Jay Leno and have tons of them. We just paid off my wifes car and have been looking but we decided to wait and save up some money to put down on the next car.
We looked at a Boxster a little over a year ago but decided we would also need another vehicle. That's when my investments were rocking and rolling and on paper I made the price of a new car in one week! How quickly it all goes away.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My son offered me a vg price on his Audi S-4. It is is fabulous shape, an incredible car in every way, but I am afraid of the maintenance committment.

I turned down a Boxster a few years back for the same reason. Plus with the Boxster I would likely have needed another vehicle.

Ha
My sister had an 85 5 cylinder Audi. She spent so much money on it that the independent repair shop gave her lifetime free oil changes.......

Not to be outdone, she bought an 1998 Avant Quattro wagon 2.8 with Tiptronic. Once again, she got free lifetime oil changes.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I stopped lusting after fancy or new cars in my 30s. I look at cars as means of transportation. If somebody puts a dent in my expensive car, it would get me upset. It's not worth it. Drive it to the ground, then buy a new midrange car. New so I know it has not been abused. Rinse and repeat.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha

Yes, but think of what a chic magnet the boxster would have been ? You might have paid more in repairs but I'd bet you save on groceries since the women would be inviting you over for dinner & dessert .
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #74

In 91 the DW and I started the ten year plan. Before that we were buying a different car every three or four years. Now our cars are purchased in five year intervals. I just bought my new one last year after waiting a couple extra years due to having a company car. The wife gets her new one in 2011. I have only had one foreign car it was just short of 10 years old when I sold it, but it broke down about three days after I signed the title over. After that we bought used cars and drove them about three or four years. The new cars were driven a bit longer with the shortest time being three years because it kept breaking.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
A Rav4 interests me, too. I don't need a third row (or even a second row, really). It would be nice to have lots of space for stuff, though. I haven't actually seen the inside of a Rav4, but thought it might be smaller. I'll take a look at one when the time comes.
One of the nurses I work with has one and loves it.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Yes, but think of what a chic magnet the boxster would have been ? You might have paid more in repairs but I'd bet you save on groceries since the women would be inviting you over for dinner & dessert .
Those are not LBYM chicks.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
That's what I heard, and that's why I held off buying one. Damn Audi and VW. They really can design cars, but they just can't build them for crap.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I stopped lusting after fancy or new cars in my 30s. I look at cars as means of transportation. If somebody puts a dent in my expensive car, it would get me upset. It's not worth it. Drive it to the ground, then buy a new midrange car. New so I know it has not been abused. Rinse and repeat.
That's what I discovered as well. Then I also discovered that looking (PC version) at naked ladies has lost some of its oomph as well. I can imagine sitting around on a pile of money at 60 but with absolutely no interest or no desires. Argh, that's depressing.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Why else do we call it quit early, saying we have enough money, though most of us are nowhere the level that can be called rich? What to do with more money indeed!

After my startup failed, I got an unsolicited job offer for a staff position at a company I have consulted for. I declined it, deciding to live within whatever savings I still had left. So far so good.

Your pile of money that you are sitting on, if same as mine, has been shrinking with the market, and we are all sitting a few inches lower than last year. So, the prospect of dying with plenty of money leftover is somewhat slim now.

But have no despair. There are other recreations that require less money. For example, as I cannot eat as much as I used to, I have found that food preparation learned from the FoodChannel is a quite enjoyable activity, much more so than going to restaurants.

PS. My nephew, a rich single pharmacist, just bought an 8-cyl Audi. Not following cars, I do not even remember the model. Looked nice, but I did not even care to ask to test drive it.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
That's what I discovered as well. Then I also discovered that looking (PC version) at naked ladies has lost some of its oomph as well. I can imagine sitting around on a pile of money at 60 but with absolutely no interest or no desires. Argh, that's depressing.
Don't worry.

Ha