Join Early Retirement Today

How long does it take...
Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

How long does it take...

...to move a commercial website to a new host? In the case of the Sam's Club auction site the planned downtime was one to two days according to the email I got on Aug 22:

Quote:
We wanted to make you aware that on the evening of August 24th, 2010, our auction site will be closed while we transition to a new hosting provider. The site will remain closed for 24-48 hours while this process takes place.

We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause and want to assure you that we are going to complete the transition process as quickly as possible, to avoid any long delays in your Auction bidding experience.

Thank you for your patience and your continued business!

Sincerely,
Your Sam's Club Auction Team
In reality, it takes much longer - ten days and still counting:

http://auctions.samsclub.com/

I'm certainly glad they assured me there would be no "long delays". Can you say "train wreck"?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Somebody's law is that "Any project can be completed in one-third more time than is currently estimated".

Old 09-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like some suits didn't want to be down for a few days and pressured the technical staff to accelerate and guarantee the WOULD achieve the best possible case. Under that pressure once a couple of problems occurred the whole project went south.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

What the heck is the Sam's club auction site
Old 09-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What the heck is the Sam's club auction site
At the moment it isn't anything. When it was working it auctioned off many of the same non-food items you can purchase at Sam's stores plus other random "stuff" - new merchandise only. I've snagged a few good items over the years, often at a substantial savings over the in-store price, even after paying for shipping.

Like any auction site, some folks get into bidding wars and pay way too much for a contested item. In those situations the site does offer some entertainment value.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My old government team took GSA Auctions from a Unix based commercial software system to a government coded mainframe system overnight with no interruption in service. It can be done
Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Sounds like some suits didn't want to be down for a few days and pressured the technical staff to accelerate and guarantee the WOULD achieve the best possible case. Under that pressure once a couple of problems occurred the whole project went south.
Bingo!

We just recently did a major upgrade we had our systems down for 2 days - planned and accomplished. People would be amazed at the planning that goes into this type of work and the unforeseen crap that pops up.

In this case, though, I suspect there was some poor planning and even poorer testing. Heads are rolling somewhere.......