Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How long has it been since you had a Twinkie?
Old 01-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heard yesterday that Hostess Brands filed for bankruptcy (again).

How long since your last Twinkie? Probably been 20 years for me, I never particularly liked Twinkies.

But the Hostess Cupcakes, chocolate, with the little squiggle lines of white frosting on them, that was another story! Used to be one of the few edible things in the vending machines in factories I worked at long long ago. Had two to a package. They were often gobbled up by day shift people, leaving none for us poor starving college students on second shift. But then, they were a bit expensive when you don't make much $ per hour, to be spending it on vending machine stuff.

In later years, we bought a package of them at a store. But it just wasn't the same. I think I needed to be a starving student, and looking at them through glass to desire them!

So... how long HAS it been?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had one yesterday.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I must confess that after 15 years in the US I have never tried them.

I have however been instructed by DW to buy twinkies whenever I find them in packs of 2 - which is not that often.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
In later years, we bought a package of them at a store. But it just wasn't the same. I think I needed to be a starving student, and looking at them through glass to desire them!
I preferred the cupcakes too, but when the ingredients changed so as to remove transfats, the flavor changed for the worse.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #5

I've been in the US for 25 years and at some time in the past, tried a Twinkie, just so I would know what they were when people spoke about them (which they did seem to do quite often).

It was quite a long time ago and all I remember is the impression that it was just about the most insubstantial thing I had ever eaten. I haven't eaten another one since.

I haven't tried the Hostess cupcakes, but growing up in England, cupcakes were a big pleasure. My modus operandi was to peel the chocolate topping off and save it for last

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

A friend and I constantly debate whetrer twinkies are to be eaten holes up or holes down. She says holes down b/c that is the way it is in the packaging. I say holes up so nothing falls out. Yes there is usually alcohol involved in these depp questions we ponder
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #7

I liked the Ho-Hos and the Snowballs better than Twinkies or the Cupcakes. The Cupcakes were always too dry--or perhaps they lay around the house too long. I probably had one or the other of these every day in my lunchbox throughout grammar school.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #8

I had a Twinkie once, about 50 years ago. That was enough.

The chocolate Hostess cupcakes were one of my absolute favorite snacks as a kid, and well into my teens. Tried one again a few years ago, just for nostalgia's sake, and didn't like it at all. Tasted like chemicals, not food.

Speaking of chemicals, I love this bit:

The Shelf Life of a Vintage Twinkie : NPR

Quote:
Roger Bennatti wanted to find out just how long a Twinkie would really last, so he left one sitting on his blackboard for three decades.
Quote:
NORRIS: So the Twinkie--it's not even in the original packaging. It's...

Mr. BENNATTI: Oh, no, no. It was unwrapped immediately.

NORRIS: ...open to the air and the oxygen.

Mr. BENNATTI: And the dust and the chalk dust, and God knows what else was in the chemistry room.

NORRIS: Well, what's it look like?

Mr. BENNATTI: Well, it's rather dusty.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't had one since the late 1960's.

Sugary pastries are hard for me to resist. However Twinkies are one sugary food that I can ignore to some extent, because the ultra-high sugar content is a little gross.

We have noticed that the ducks that inhabit our canals are huge fans of Twinkies (that people sometimes throw to them). I think those ducks would do anything for a Twinkie.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

No idea, I'd guess I've had one or two Twinkies as an adult life. Didn't think they were anything special as a kid and Mom never gave them to me (thanks Mom). Guess I've been deprived

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

On a road trip last week we saw Bimbo snack cakes at a gas station (I think Bimbo Brands or its holding company has bought out Sara Lee's bread division). Would you rather have a twinkie or a bimbo?

:
Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
On a road trip last week we saw Bimbo snack cakes at a gas station (I think Bimbo Brands or its holding company has bought out Sara Lee's bread division). Would you rather have a twinkie or a bimbo?
Great, Mexican twinkies. How long before Chinese and then Korean twinkies appear on our shelves...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-bimbo.jpg (128.0 KB, 2 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I never particularly liked Twinkies.

But the Hostess Cupcakes, chocolate, with the little squiggle lines of white frosting on them, that was another story!

So... how long HAS it been?
Same with me, I looked for those cupcakes everyday after coming home from elementary school, and that was probably 52+ years ago for me. None since that time.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Probably about 40+ years ago. There was a time in middle/high school that I would get them as a snack.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #15

That's it, I'm going out to get a lb. of Bacon and some Twinkies for desert.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

The best Hostess product by far.......

Donettes!

Donettes® from Hostess Cakes (Our Products)

My only complaint is that they never offered a combo pack of just chocolate and powdered sugar donettes. Either you had to buy them separate or in the combo pack along with those crappy crumb donettes. LOL
Life_is_Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #17

It's probably been a few decades. The Hostess products don't appeal to me so I'll leave them all on the shelves for those who want them.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #18

Probably been 40 some years ago. Don't really care for the cupcakes either. I might have had a snowball cake in the past 30 years.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #19

Never was much of a Twinkie man, but I always had a thing for Ho-Ho's! For awhile though, my family was going through austerity measures, and would buy the cheaper Little Debbie versions. I got so used to the taste of 'em, that the next time I tried a Ho-Ho, it just didn't taste right!

Can't remember the last time I've had any of them, though. Probably 20 years or more.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #20

Can't help but think of Tallahassee from the movie Zombieland.....