How long has it been since you had a Twinkie?

Telly

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Heard yesterday that Hostess Brands filed for bankruptcy (again).

How long since your last Twinkie? Probably been 20 years for me, I never particularly liked Twinkies.

But the Hostess Cupcakes, chocolate, with the little squiggle lines of white frosting on them, that was another story! Used to be one of the few edible things in the vending machines in factories I worked at long long ago. Had two to a package. They were often gobbled up by day shift people, leaving none for us poor starving college students on second shift. But then, they were a bit expensive when you don't make much $ per hour, to be spending it on vending machine stuff.

In later years, we bought a package of them at a store. But it just wasn't the same. I think I needed to be a starving student, and looking at them through glass to desire them!

box_cupcakes.jpg

So... how long HAS it been?

Last edited:
How long has it been since you had a Twinkie?

I had one yesterday. :blush:

I must confess that after 15 years in the US I have never tried them.:blush:

I have however been instructed by DW to buy twinkies whenever I find them in packs of 2 - which is not that often.

In later years, we bought a package of them at a store. But it just wasn't the same. I think I needed to be a starving student, and looking at them through glass to desire them!
I preferred the cupcakes too, but when the ingredients changed so as to remove transfats, the flavor changed for the worse.

I've been in the US for 25 years and at some time in the past, tried a Twinkie, just so I would know what they were when people spoke about them (which they did seem to do quite often).

It was quite a long time ago and all I remember is the impression that it was just about the most insubstantial thing I had ever eaten. I haven't eaten another one since.

I haven't tried the Hostess cupcakes, but growing up in England, cupcakes were a big pleasure. My modus operandi was to peel the chocolate topping off and save it for last :)

A friend and I constantly debate whetrer twinkies are to be eaten holes up or holes down. She says holes down b/c that is the way it is in the packaging. I say holes up so nothing falls out. Yes there is usually alcohol involved in these depp questions we ponder :rolleyes:

I liked the Ho-Hos and the Snowballs better than Twinkies or the Cupcakes. The Cupcakes were always too dry--or perhaps they lay around the house too long. I probably had one or the other of these every day in my lunchbox throughout grammar school.

I had a Twinkie once, about 50 years ago. That was enough.

The chocolate Hostess cupcakes were one of my absolute favorite snacks as a kid, and well into my teens. Tried one again a few years ago, just for nostalgia's sake, and didn't like it at all. Tasted like chemicals, not food.

Speaking of chemicals, I love this bit:

The Shelf Life of a Vintage Twinkie : NPR

Roger Bennatti wanted to find out just how long a Twinkie would really last, so he left one sitting on his blackboard for three decades.

NORRIS: So the Twinkie--it's not even in the original packaging. It's...

Mr. BENNATTI: Oh, no, no. It was unwrapped immediately.

NORRIS: ...open to the air and the oxygen.

Mr. BENNATTI: And the dust and the chalk dust, and God knows what else was in the chemistry room.

NORRIS: Well, what's it look like?

Mr. BENNATTI: Well, it's rather dusty.

I haven't had one since the late 1960's.

Sugary pastries are hard for me to resist. However Twinkies are one sugary food that I can ignore to some extent, because the ultra-high sugar content is [-]a little[/-] gross.

We have noticed that the ducks that inhabit our canals are huge fans of Twinkies (that people sometimes throw to them). I think those ducks would do anything for a Twinkie.

Last edited:
No idea, I'd guess I've had one or two Twinkies as an adult life. Didn't think they were anything special as a kid and Mom never gave them to me (thanks Mom). Guess I've been deprived :confused:

On a road trip last week we saw Bimbo snack cakes at a gas station (I think Bimbo Brands or its holding company has bought out Sara Lee's bread division). Would you rather have a twinkie or a bimbo?

:

On a road trip last week we saw Bimbo snack cakes at a gas station (I think Bimbo Brands or its holding company has bought out Sara Lee's bread division). Would you rather have a twinkie or a bimbo?
Great, Mexican twinkies. How long before Chinese and then Korean twinkies appear on our shelves...:facepalm:

Attachments

• 12-bimbo.jpg
    12-bimbo.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 2
I never particularly liked Twinkies.

But the Hostess Cupcakes, chocolate, with the little squiggle lines of white frosting on them, that was another story!

box_cupcakes.jpg

So... how long HAS it been?

Same with me, I looked for those cupcakes everyday after coming home from elementary school, and that was probably 52+ years ago for me. None since that time.

Probably about 40+ years ago. There was a time in middle/high school that I would get them as a snack.

That's it, I'm going out to get a lb. of Bacon and some Twinkies for desert.

The best Hostess product by far.......

Donettes!

Donettes® from Hostess Cakes (Our Products)

My only complaint is that they never offered a combo pack of just chocolate and powdered sugar donettes. Either you had to buy them separate or in the combo pack along with those crappy crumb donettes. LOL

It's probably been a few decades. The Hostess products don't appeal to me so I'll leave them all on the shelves for those who want them.

Probably been 40 some years ago. Don't really care for the cupcakes either. I might have had a snowball cake in the past 30 years.

Never was much of a Twinkie man, but I always had a thing for Ho-Ho's! For awhile though, my family was going through austerity measures, and would buy the cheaper Little Debbie versions. I got so used to the taste of 'em, that the next time I tried a Ho-Ho, it just didn't taste right!

Can't remember the last time I've had any of them, though. Probably 20 years or more.

Can't help but think of Tallahassee from the movie Zombieland.....

I used to love them but since I was diagnosed as a celiac (wheat interlorant) I can't eat them anymore for health reasons. Did anybody ever have them when they were filled with banana cream?

That's it, I'm going out to get a lb. of Bacon and some Twinkies for desert.

I think you're gonna like this--smoked twinkies wrapped in bacon, infused with Jack Daniels:

Attachments

• bacon-wrapped-twinkie.jpeg
    bacon-wrapped-twinkie.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 146
Haven't had a twinkie in years as there is no chocolate on them. Ho-ho's on the other hand are another story as are the Hostess cupcakes. I'm not proud of this but on several occassions I have eat an entire box of 12.

I remember the Cold War days when we were told that the only things that would survive a nuclear holocaust were cockroaches and Twinkies.

Since I'm assuming that the cockroaches would have eaten the twinkies, I guess we really can believe in global extinction.

Nui <---- still likes a good chocolate cupcake now and then

Back
Top Bottom