Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: At what age will you die, based on the longevity calculator below?
<=60 0 0%
61-65 3 4.00%
66-70 1 1.33%
71-75 2 2.67%
76-80 4 5.33%
81-85 13 17.33%
86-90 15 20.00%
91-95 13 17.33%
96-100 7 9.33%
100-105 16 21.33%
>=106 1 1.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How long will you live?
Old 07-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #1
 
Posts: n/a
How long will you live?

Click here to calculate your expected longevity.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,556
Re: How long will you live?

Hey TromboneAl,

Thanks for the longevity calculator. According to it, I am expected to live to 82. Hope I do live that long or longer. If I do live that long, I will have outlived 3 grandparents, my parents and 1 brother. I think that in the back of my mind, I always figured that I would die in my 60s or early 70s, based on family history. My biggest negative factor was family history. Maybe I had better start taking better care of myself and figuring that I will live longer for financial planning!

Dreamer
__________________

__________________
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-30-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Re: How long will you live?

Thanks TboneAl. I marked it on the calendar
__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: No. California
Posts: 1,601
Re: How long will you live?

WOW,

I came up with 97. I've never planned on lasting that long.

Interesting. THanks Al.
__________________
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-30-2005, 11:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,083
Re: How long will you live?

No surprise here, I register 92+. My father is over 94.
I am planning to live into my mid 90's unless I get runover or seriously doored by a truck while riding my bicycle.
__________________
I look to the present moment because that's where I live my life.
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:01 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: How long will you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Thanks TboneAl.* I marked it on the calendar
Better mark it one day early. You may go in your sleep in the early hours of the morning.
__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:13 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
TargaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 588
Re: How long will you live?

Damn those family genes! If I start behaving very badly from today forward I can cut a full 20 years off the tail end and RE tomorrow!

__________________
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,446
Re: How long will you live?

87 for me. I'll take it! Says I need to lose 10 lbs tho.
__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
retire@40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,670
Re: How long will you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I came up with 97.* I've never planned on lasting that long.
If I knew I were to live that long, I'd start taking better care of myself.

I came in at 82. My guess before the calculation was 80 based on family history.
__________________
No man is free who is not master of himself. --- Epictetus
Enjoy Yourself (It's Later Than You Think). --- Guy Lombardo
retire@40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: How long will you live?

89, and I hope they're wrong.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Re: How long will you live?

I'm not sure that the calculator is quite accurate. My family history has numerous individuals who lived to 90+ years old, with some of the oldest actually breaking the 100 barrier (I believe one of my great grand aunts made it to 103 or 104). The calculator does not take into account individuals that engage in weightlifting activities, and have 15-20 pounds more muscle than the average person in our age range. In fact, studies have shown that weightlifting is better for you than cardiovascular exercise alone.

Overall, I rate the calculator as no better than many of the mainstream articles on investing. Far too simplistic.
__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 12:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Re: How long will you live?

Results
If you continue maintaining healthy habits, you'll want to plan for a maximum life expectancy of 93 years or more.

Your "ideal" weight for maximum longevity is: 167 lbs.

The three biggest positive factors that you have going for you are:
1. Diet
2. Age of parents
3. Doctor exam frequency

The three biggest negative factors that you have going for you are:
1. Family health
2. Gender
3. Weight history.

Jay's right-- just this side of financial pornography. I don't think I'm at a significant risk for my family's history of breast cancer.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 01:32 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Jay_Gatsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,719
Re: How long will you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Jay's right-- just this side of financial pornography.* I don't think I'm at a significant risk for my family's history of breast cancer.
You never know. You don't have those "man boobs" that many men seem to be sporting these days?
__________________
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:00 PM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 20
Re: How long will you live?

I was suprised that I was honest and it gave me an 87 - which includes drinking until intoxicated ... since I get intoxed after just 2 drinks.

Family history is in the genes and that's the heaviest weight since there's not much we can do about that other than aware and vigilant.

__________________
dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:27 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lou-evil
Posts: 2,025
Re: How long will you live?

Quote:
Better mark it one day early. You may go in your sleep in the early hours of the morning.
Sounds even better
__________________
"These walls are kind of funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, gets so you depend on them"
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:23 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MooreBonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,091
Re: How long will you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Results
If you continue maintaining healthy habits, you'll want to plan for a maximum life expectancy of 93 years or more.

Your "ideal" weight for maximum longevity is: 167 lbs.
My "ideal" weight is allegedly 162 lbs, although my current age projection is a ripe old 90 (which I think is easily doable, considering the genes in my family and my awareness of healthy living).

I tip the scales at 185, and for someone who's 5'7", I always register as "overweight" in these stupid surveys.

LOL....well, considering I have a 43 chest and 32 waist, and my only body fat on my entire body is strategically located in my gut, I suppose they want me to drop 23 lbs to a size 26 waist I know, they don't factor in waist/body builds, but I just always get a little peeved when they think I'm overweight when I'm not.
__________________
Dryer sheets Schmyer sheets
MooreBonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:12 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mesa
Posts: 3,588
Re: How long will you live?

BMI is not a good indicator of fitness for a lot of people. It is widely used only because it is so easy to evaluate -- Plug in height. Plug in weight. Out comes BMI. But there is a lot more to fitness than height and weight. BMI is a poor metric for people with low body fat, for people with relatively short legs, etc. There has been a lot of recent literature on this subject. Here's a couple of interesting pieces:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/oped_detail.cfm?oped=160

"Tom Cruise: Hottie or Fatty?

By: Dan Mindus
Newspaper: Orange County Register

If Tom Cruise had been accidentally decapitated in the making of the Last Samurai, he would have become one more victim of our "obesity epidemic." Sound strange? Welcome to the politics of fat, where bathroom scales can be tax-deductible, lawyers are lining up to sue anything rumored to contain calories, and the press has fed us a steady diet of hysteria and hyperbole.

The first thing you need to understand is that in our twilight zone of fat hysteria, he is officially obese. That's based on the Body Mass Index (BMI), a measurement that separates us into government-approved, overweight, and obese categories by taking into consideration only our height and weight. A BMI of 30 or more makes you obese, and at 5-7, 201 pounds, Tom Cruise has a BMI of 31.

. . .

Fatty Cruise is in good company. Thanks to the absurdities of the BMI yardstick, Sylvester Stallone (5-9, 228 pounds, BMI of 34) and Mel Gibson (5-9, 214 pounds, BMI of 32) are also "obese." So was Mark McGwire (6-5, 250 pounds, BMI of 30) the year he hit 70 home runs. And if politics is your thing, you'll be interested to know that the new governor of California (6-2, 257 pounds, BMI of 33) is obese, too.

. . ."
=================
http://www.mkeonline.com/story.asp?id=323240

"Weighty facts about your BMI
Body Mass Index is a general indicator of fitness - but it's not always accurate
By David Jakubiak
Posted: May 5, 2005
. . ."


__________________
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:37 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: How long will you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter76
My "ideal" weight is allegedly 162 lbs, although my current age projection is a ripe old 90 (which I think is easily doable, considering the genes in my family and my awareness of healthy living).

I tip the scales at 185, and for someone who's 5'7", I always register as "overweight" in these stupid surveys.

LOL....well, considering I have a 43 chest and 32 waist, and my only body fat on my entire body is strategically located in my gut, I suppose they want me to drop 23 lbs to a size 26 waist * I know, they don't factor in waist/body builds, but I just always get a little peeved when they think I'm overweight when I'm not.
Sounds about the size of George Costanza Anyway, 185 at 5-7 sounds a bit portly.
I am 155 at 5-9 and have been for many years. My genes are good too, but
I'm not counting on them. Remember what Al Pacino said

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:51 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,875
Re: How long will you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
BMI is not a good indicator of fitness for a lot of people.* It is widely used only because it is so easy to evaluate -- Plug in height.* Plug in weight.* Out comes BMI.* But there is a lot more to fitness than height and weight.* BMI is a poor metric for people with low body fat, for people with relatively short legs, etc.* There has been a lot of recent literature on this subject.* Here's a couple of interesting pieces:

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/oped_detail.cfm?oped=160

"Tom Cruise: Hottie or Fatty?

By: Dan Mindus
Newspaper: Orange County Register

If Tom Cruise had been accidentally decapitated in the making of the Last Samurai, he would have become one more victim of our "obesity epidemic." Sound strange? Welcome to the politics of fat, where bathroom scales can be tax-deductible, lawyers are lining up to sue anything rumored to contain calories, and the press has fed us a steady diet of hysteria and hyperbole.

The first thing you need to understand is that in our twilight zone of fat hysteria, he is officially obese. That's based on the Body Mass Index (BMI), a measurement that separates us into government-approved, overweight, and obese categories by taking into consideration only our height and weight. A BMI of 30 or more makes you obese, and at 5-7, 201 pounds, Tom Cruise has a BMI of 31.

. . .

Fatty Cruise is in good company. Thanks to the absurdities of the BMI yardstick, Sylvester Stallone (5-9, 228 pounds, BMI of 34) and Mel Gibson (5-9, 214 pounds, BMI of 32) are also "obese." So was Mark McGwire (6-5, 250 pounds, BMI of 30) the year he hit 70 home runs. And if politics is your thing, you'll be interested to know that the new governor of California (6-2, 257 pounds, BMI of 33) is obese, too.

. . ."
=================
http://www.mkeonline.com/story.asp?id=323240

"Weighty facts about your BMI
Body Mass Index is a general indicator of fitness - but it's not always accurate
By David Jakubiak
Posted: May 5, 2005
. . ."


An aside...........I never could see that Tom Cruise or Nicole Kidman were the least
bit attractive. He mostly looked to me like a scruffy kid who needed a shave and she
was a gangly empty headed actress with little to say outside of her lines.
No accounting for taste I guess.

JG
__________________
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: How long will you live?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:45 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,151
Re: How long will you live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
89, and I hope they're wrong.

JG
Which direction?
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How long do you really plan to live? JustCurious FIRE and Money 47 03-16-2007 07:56 AM
Speaking of inexpensive places to live in the US modhatter Life after FIRE 50 03-06-2007 11:28 PM
Allow changing the 4% parameter in "Work Less, Live More" option? wasdana FIRECalc support 0 08-12-2006 09:41 AM
Best view of what a Government should be (caution very long) mickj Other topics 0 08-09-2006 01:41 PM
FIREcalc and long withdrawal periods cute fuzzy bunny FIRE and Money 13 02-24-2004 02:53 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.