Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
Obviously, you do not have a prostate. If you did, you'd know there's no way to wait 4 and a half hours
Ah! So THAT's the reason.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What will they think of next?
Whatever will get publicity. This kind of story is just free advertising for Ryanair, and another "gee whiz" interest story for non-newspapers like the Daily Mail (the paper which claims that pretty much everything in the world either causes or cures cancer).

Another idea from a year or so back was to charge for the toilets. It wasn't serious, but it yanked everyone's chain (as it were) and got lots of lovely publicity. I suspect that Ryanair has a whole department whose job is to come up with outrageous things to troll the ever-gullible UK press with.

The 737-800 which Ryanair operates is licenced to carry 189 passengers, and that's not about to change. He can take out two of the toilets, but he can't carry 6 more pax.

That said, the toilets on a short-haul flight don't get a lot of use. For one thing, when you have to pay for your drinks and your bottle of water got taken off you at the gate, there's not much on the input side.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's true, now that you mention it - - guys do seem to feel the call of nature more often than do women. Either that, or else they flock to the bathrooms more frequently than we do in order to network, brainstorm, or whatever else goes on in there. 4 1/2 hours is not nearly as much a problem for me as using a dirty airplane bathroom. Eww.

Yup, they are dirty, at least most of the time us guys don't have to sit down.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That's true, now that you mention it - - guys do seem to feel the call of nature more often than do women. Either that, or else they flock to the bathrooms more frequently than we do in order to network, brainstorm, or whatever else goes on in there. 4 1/2 hours is not nearly as much a problem for me as using a dirty airplane bathroom. Eww.

Wellll...my wife has to go as much if not more than I do. We can eat in a restaurant, and before we leave, while I'm paying (of course) she goes to the restroom. We can leave the restaurant and drive to a store, maybe 15 minutes to get there, and the first thing she does is say "I'll be right back" and makes tracks to the ladies room, again.

So, I don't know about all that stuff about a woman going less than a man. Personally, since I was a teenager, I've had to go more frequently that most of my friends. I remember my best friend remarking when we were both 17 that I sure have to go alot. Fast forward to now, age ALMOST 54, and that hasn't changed. I can usually make it through the typical movie, but not always.

My normal night's sleep includes at least 2 or 3 trips to the bathroom. Just the way it is, I suppose. Oh yeah, I've had 2 Dr's tell me I have a small bladder. Nobody should confuse that with any of my other body parts, for example my feet or hands.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
(snip)....another "gee whiz" interest story
Old 10-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I still say the response to this decision is soiled seats, passageways. Just pack spare underwear, trousers & privacy blanket in your carry along and change in the seat.

I really am a gentile older woman but there are times when it is time to call a spade a spade. If a carrier doesn't provide enough potties nature will take its course.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Anderson Cooper did a profile of what can happen if something like this is implemented:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

This thread is useless without pictures!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

New flight attendant announcement:

"In the event of a water closet emergency your seat cushion can be used as an absorption device."
Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

If you haven't seen this video, it's a must watch for RyanAir fans & foes!

PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy

Obviously, you do not have a prostate. If you did, you'd know there's no way to wait 4 and a half hours
Heh. Catheter and a bottle. Problem solved.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I really am a gentile older woman
Aw, we didn't have to drag religion, age, and gender into a potty thread, did we?!?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The more I think about it, in true cynical GenX fashion, the more I think this is a ruse to justify fare increases. The hope may be that there's enough customer complaining that the airline comes back and says "okay, but we wanted to do this to hold the line on fares. We'll keep 3 lavs but it will require a fare increase".
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

On the corporate jet, the last seat in the house is a jump seat, which is on top of the commode. I always feared that one day I would actually hear these words from one of the veeps or above:

"Excuse me, but would you mind waiting over there while I take a dump in your seat?"
ER Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Stadium Pal to the rescue.

David Sedaris reads his essay about the product on Letterman.