How many checks do you write in a year?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was reading a post on automated investing, and realized that 99% of my PAYMENTS are automated. SO I wondered how many checks I'd written recently...

Well, I only wrote 12 checks in the last 12 months...

I had something like 900 auto debits, debits, and electronic transfers

Come to think of it I don't even know where my checks are. I do everything on the internet. So I guess I write "0".

Geez, I thought 31 was a low number-- and the vast majority of that has been to local, state, & federal govts.

Our checkwriting dropped dramatically the day our kid opened her own account and I started transferring money electronically.

i would say about a dozen, mostly for school activities (pictures, supply fee, etc), and i paid my car insurance by check last week...everything else is online.

About a dozen here and curse every time I have to write one or somebody gives me one.

Just checked (erf erf erf) - 120 last year. Not bad considering that nearly all tenants who move out get one. Figure about 4-5 move-outs/month - doesn't seem worthwhile to enter all their data to do an online check to them. Huge fan of auto-pays here - as many as possible run through good ol' PenFed charge card.

About 9 or so -- Grandkids; otherwise 0. Have several checking accounts but just use them for direct deposit of recurring automatic deposits and then they get drained via electronic transfers (ACH).

Totally ZERO! Even if I need to hand a check to someone I have the bank make it out to them and send it to me.

16 this year so far; a little higher than average. Recurring stuff is all online, mostly automatic.

It drives me totally nuts when I'm in a line at the grocery store and somebody wips out a checkbook . I want to yell "Don't you know about ATM cards " ?

I just counted yesterday before heading out to the hobby shop.......4 up to that point, then 1 at the hobby shop. So the total YTD is 5. The count would have been 2 (license plate renewal and initial payment for LTC policy), but the hobby shop I frequent only takes cash or checks....no plastic. I wrote 4 last year.

I probably write about 50+ a year. Most of mine are for rent, when I go to the hairdresser, I always pay for magazine subscriptions by check so I can keep better track of what I have paid for, and all charitable donations I pay by check so when it comes tax time I can easily track what I have done for the year.

I never use a check at the supermarket, that is one of my pet hates.

It drives me totally nuts when I'm in a line at the grocery store and somebody wips out a checkbook . I want to yell "Don't you know about ATM cards " ?
I wouldn't mind using a debit card more frequently if it carried anything approaching the same protection as that offered by a credit card or a paper check. But I object to participating in the bank-fee version of Russian Roulette.

It's interesting that Costco permits debit cards at their gas stations but not their checkouts. I'll have to ask about that one next time we're there.

Mu credit union charges for automatic bill paying, so I use checks - mortgage, utilities, phone, cable, etc. Plus all of the kids' activities: swiming, horseback riding, running, and school miscellany. I use a bunch of checks. Grocery and other shopping is all debit or credit. DH writes one check per month - alimony :p

Think I may have used an ATM card once. I just don't get them - a credit card gives me a month of float (no big deal), cash back (thanks PenFed or Chase), and costs me nothing. About the best an ATM card can do is offer "fee forgiveness" for the privilege of the business getting my money right now! This is based on the charge cards being set up to auto-pay in full each month, so I use credit first, then cash, then checks if at my desk, or online bank if it's a frequent bill i need to pay.

In my personal account I have written 600 cheques in 17 years for an average of 35 per annnum. Over those years the number of cheques for routine bills has fallen as I have set them up for PAP and electronic payment. Most of my cheques now are written for once-off payments such as gifts, charitable contributions, property transactions, and tradespeople. I do find cheques helpful at tax time.

It's interesting that Costco permits debit cards at their gas stations but not their checkouts. I'll have to ask about that one next time we're there.
They use a different vendor and probably their store checkouts are older technology. They accept debit cards in the store here.

In my personal account I have written 600 cheques in 17 years for an average of 35 per annnum. Over those years the number of cheques for routine bills has fallen as I have set them up for PAP and electronic payment. Most of my cheques now are written for once-off payments such as gifts, charitable contributions, property transactions, and tradespeople. I do find cheques helpful at tax time.

Cheques and tradespeople and once-off payments. Hmm. Sounds like a native of our deep south? Or perhaps not - do enjoy your manner of expression - even if your chips look like my Freedom Fries.

I guess I better get with the program. I write about 12 checks a months. But, never at the grocery store. If I had a pet peeve (just how high school is that?), it would be a person writing out a check at the grocery store. A lot of the time, they don't even take out their checkbook until the order has been completely rung up.

16 checks so far this year. That is about 4 more than normal for the year.

Most of my transactions are auto w/d, credit card or cash.

They use a different vendor and probably their store checkouts are older technology. They accept debit cards in the store here.
It's probably still on the containership headed this way...

About 50-60 for the total year. Kids school lunch money, kids music lessons, kids sports activities tennis, soccer etc... and donations we make. Pretty much any grown up bills are on auto pay.

33 so far this year, probably fewer next year.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom