Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How many children do you have or plan to have?
0 51 36.69%
1 16 11.51%
2 52 37.41%
3 11 7.91%
4 3 2.16%
5-6 5 3.60%
7+ 1 0.72%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How many children
Old 10-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja
Yes. I supposed I could refer to her as DW, and her daughter as DD, but her daugheter would be horrified if I ever referred to her as "my" daughter.

I too am rather surpised at the number respondents with 4+ children.
To tell you the truth, I'm more surprise at the number that said 0.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream
To tell you the truth, I'm more surprise at the number that said 0.
Me too. We have speculated before that being childfree helps to contribute to being FI. I know my partners are both far from retirement and they "blame" kids and college educations for that.

I wonder how many in the poll are "None and never will," and how many are "not yet, but might."

At 46 with a 50 y.o. SO I'm in the former catagory. SO does have a son, but the son was grown before we met so I don't consider him "mine."

Old 10-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #23

I'll tell you......those "ankle biters" are horribly costly, but my kids are more
important to me than anything. Made a lot of mistakes in my life, but having my
kids was 100% right. Not having children would have been a tragedy
in my case.

JG
Old 10-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #24

I find when it comes to having or not having kids, it's a VERY senstive subject. When I married around 22 years ago, I wanted to succed so much that I felt kids would get in my way, I didn't have time for them, it was to much work, I wanted to spend my spare time with my wife, enjoying life and finding security. Plain and simple, I personally was selfish. When my first born came into this world, it wasn't shall we say planed, I was jealous and not a happy camper. Today, with 2 kids, my life wouldn't be complete without them.

Quick Disclaimer - What you’re reading is all personal opinion, if you are offended in any way, shape, of form; that was not my intent. Hey,you can always put me on your ignore list. Enough said.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:23 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Me too. We have speculated before that being childfree helps to contribute to being FI. I know my partners are both far from retirement and they "blame" kids and college educations for that.
Excuses, excuses...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:41 AM   #26

We only have one boy and he's four. Honestly don't think I am cut out for a lot of kids (anything over 1). Although I recently spent some time with friends and they have two kids 3 and 9. The 9 yo helped take care of the 3 yo (baths, entertainment, etc.) so maybe 2 kids is not twice the work. I'll never know.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:32 PM   #27

Just to be clear, even though I am thankfully childfree, I like kids, especially when they go home with their parents.
Seriously, Children are lots of work and lots of fun too. For many people they are sources of tremendous joy and fullfillment. I respect that.

I just personally prefer "really nice drapes".
Old 10-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

The posts seem to have slowed down, so here are the Census numbers for comparison. No-one has responded to my question about the posters with 5+ kids, but I will take those numbers at face value anyway:

Kids Census ERF
0 19% 39%
1 17% 12%
2 35% 31%
3 18% 8%
4 7% 3%
5-6 3% 5%
7+ 1% 1%

The census numbers are the 2004 survey of women age 40-44, biological children only. Not an exact match, but still interesting for comparison. We seem to have significantly more people with zero children, about the same 1-2, and fewer with 3+. No real surprises, except for those suspicious numbers for 5-7.

It may also be interesting that as recently as 1990 only 15% of women had no children, and in 1980 it was 10%, while in that same time the number with 5+ children has plummeted from about 15% to 3%.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I just personally prefer "really nice drapes".
I think this is one area in which our kid (and dogs and cat) saves us a ton of money. We have stopped buying expensive and fragile high-end crap merchandise. We furnish our home for comfort and robustness. Well, except for that damn piano we had to buy for her piano lessons....
Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #30

One daughter so far (6 months old) and would like to have one more in a couple of years. Originally thought we'd like three but I'm not getting any younger and I definitely don't want to be having a baby over 40.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:43 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary_Girl
One daughter so far (6 months old) and would like to have one more in a couple of years. Originally thought we'd like three but I'm not getting any younger and I definitely don't want to be having a baby over 40.
Thsi is like my wife and I we wanted 4, but after 2 she thought the wear and tear might be too much. Best to get going at 22 or so if a big family is a goal.

Ha
Old 10-20-2006, 04:08 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

2nd on the way and a good chance we'll stop there.

We had another thread where some w/o children felt a need to defend that decision, I hope they don't here. I think those who want kids should have them, and those who don't, shouldn't.

I have an Aunt w/o kids, and we know a married couple that the wife's brother never married or had kids, and they are wonderful contributors to the family, the kids (me included) come running to the door to see them. Some of my best childhood memories involve my aunt, and now she is a wonderful great aunt to Tori. So I just wanted to make sure the contributions of "childless" couples/adults do not get overlooked. You don't have to "birth" a kid to help raise the next generation.

On the whole I think it's becoming more and more acceptable to never have kids in our society. Now if we could clean up the adoption process, put some teeth into child abuse laws, we could move towards every child being a wanted child.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 PM   #33

Yeah, I don't feel the need to defend not having (or wanting) any kids. It just wasn't for me.

I do love spending time with my nieces and nephews and hearing about their funny stories. It also makes me happy for people who have kids to take joy in them. I'm often grateful for not having them (and having a DH who agrees) because I honestly don't know that I could handle the constant stress and worry.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #34

None yet, and praying that my wife would hurry up and finish nursing school so we could get on to breeding.

I have 6 nieces who I love dearly and see at least once a week, but I really want my own.

When I was younger I thought I wanted 4, but after spending time with my sisters I think 2 will be plenty

Old 10-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #35

I never had that maternal instinct at least not for having children of my own. I enjoy my husbands kids and their kids and my nephews . I also found out at the age of 38 that it would have been impossible for me to have children, strange how things worked out.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:52 PM   #36

My child-free brother is a wonderful uncle to his nieces & nephews. But he's glad he never had his own kids--and that he stayed single. Come to think of it, he's a neat brother, too.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I think this is one area in which our kid (and dogs and cat) saves us a ton of money. We have stopped buying expensive and fragile high-end crap merchandise. We furnish our home for comfort and robustness. Well, except for that damn piano we had to buy for her piano lessons....
but you've never seen these drapes! They are made of human flesh....babies actually.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
We only have one boy and he's four. Honestly don't think I am cut out for a lot of kids (anything over 1). Although I recently spent some time with friends and they have two kids 3 and 9. The 9 yo helped take care of the 3 yo (baths, entertainment, etc.) so maybe 2 kids is not twice the work. I'll never know.
With 1 kid you can double-team them
With 2 it's man-to-man
With 3 you have to go to a zone D
Old 10-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #39

It seems so simple, as Laurence (I think) said - those who want them should have them and those who don't shouldn't. I just never really wanted them. Luckily, since I never even got married, I didn't have to face the family pressure than many people get.

My Dream - I took me a long time to stop saying, "I'm just selfish" when asked why I didn't want kids, so your statement jumped out at me. I finally realized that there is nothing selfish about choosing the lifestyle that is right for me. I don't think it was selfish of you to wait until you were ready for kids to have them, it was smart. You gave a lot of really good reasons for your decision.

On the other hand, I'm happy for you that you have come around to enjoy what you now have. I'm sure if I had children I would have loved them like crazy too.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:06 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
It seems so simple, as Laurence (I think) said - those who want them should have them and those who don't shouldn't. I just never really wanted them.
I'm still not sure whether I want children.

Dr. Phil had an interesting comment the other day: "You can't quit parenthood." Apparently it's a life sentence with no time off for good behavior.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote