3-4 31 44.29%
5-6 12 17.14%
7-8 5 7.14%
9-10 4 5.71%
11-12 2 2.86%
over 12 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Stop the presses!

As most here know by now, I have only had a debit Mastercard from my bank for the past 16 years. But, after reading this thread I decided, "what the hay" and about five minutes ago I applied for, and was immediately approved for, an Amazon Visa card.

It has no annual fee and nice rewards. I got a $60 gift card for signing up, too. It has a horrible interest rate (14.24% to 22.24%) so I hope I can figure out how to pay on time each month and not mess up. First world problem, I suppose.

So now, I am joining the rest of the indebted masses.... If nothing else it should be interesting to see what this is like, after all these years.
If you order a bunch from Amazon, that 3% will really add up! We've gotten that on the vast amount of our purchases, including non-prime items and orders that ultimately go to other companies. Amazon makes it very easy to apply the reward to new orders.

You can set up email alerts to remind you to pay the bill on time. We schedule the online payment from our bank account as soon as we get an email that our statement is ready. Haven't accidentally missed a payment yet.

Chase administers the card. If you have a Chase checking account you can set up automatic payment of the bill. Otherwise, configure email alerts to include statement available and payment reminder, as soon as you get the email that your statement is ready, go online and schedule the payment.

Wow - it's up to $60 credit now for signing up. Impressive.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
If you order a bunch from Amazon, that 3% will really add up! We've gotten that on the vast amount of our purchases, including non-prime items and orders that ultimately go to other companies. Amazon makes it very easy to apply the reward to new orders.

You can set up email alerts to remind you to pay the bill on time. We schedule the online payment from our bank account as soon as we get an email that our statement is ready. Haven't accidentally missed a payment yet.

Chase administers the card. If you have a Chase checking account you can set up automatic payment of the bill. Otherwise, configure email alerts to include statement available and payment reminder, as soon as you get the email that your statement is ready, go online and schedule the payment.

We don't have a Chase bank account but still have our Chase Amazon card set up for automatic payment of the bill from our bank account.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
We don't have a Chase bank account but still have our Chase Amazon card set up for automatic payment of the bill from our bank account.
Yes - I see how to do that. But I initiate all my credit card bill paying from my BofA account, instead of having the credit card debit the account directly. So bill paying is automatic IF a financial institution can send BofA an ebill. That way I can see and manage all the pending bills in one location.

Neither Chase nor FIA card services are on BofA ebill list, so I have to enter the bill amount and date manually.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:56 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:

Yes, I do order a lot from Amazon and plan to order even more now that I am no longer paying for cable TV. (Thanks for your thread a few months ago about disconnecting from cable TV, too, which started the seeds of thought in that direction.) Anyway, I suspect that the 3% will be adding up nicely, plus I think it was 2% for gas and 1% otherwise, or something like that. Even if it only adds up to a few dollars a month, I could get a free lunch now and then.

Unfortunately I don't have a Chase checking account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Oh good! My good friend Frank was telling me over lunch that he thinks I might be able to get the entire amount automatically deducted/paid from my checking account, which would be my desired option, and what you are saying seems to confirm it. That would be great.

I haven't checked my credit report for years, so maybe I'll do that now. At least there will be something on it.

The last time I had a credit card, everything was done by snail mail. The Dark Ages.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Yes - I see how to do that. But I initiate all my credit card bill paying from my BofA account, instead of having the credit card debit the account directly. So bill paying is automatic IF a financial institution can send BofA an ebill. That way I can see and manage all the pending bills in one location.

Neither Chase nor FIA card services are on BofA ebill list, so I have to enter the bill amount and date manually.
That would be useful. I actually never leave it for the automatic payment to happen, and pay it online when I'm ready, but I do like that if something bad happens then it will go out automatically.

Penfed doesn't have the auto pay option so I have an auto payment from our bank of $100 each month which covers the minimum payment should I fail to pay it any time.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I have 4 credit/debit cards in my wallet. All paid in full at month end by my secretary, aka DW. Five (5) cards if the HSA card is counted.

My wife surely has more, as she carries some store cards for freebies, while I keep denying these cards (her purse is bigger than my wallet). Some are worthwhile, though we are not shoppers. For example, we just got a Home Depot card recently, and with the kitchen remodel we have saved a few bucks from the 5% discount with miscellaneous purchases, although the bulk of the expenses was with an independent contractor, not Home Depot.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I own 5, but carry 2 CCs and one debit card. For me, that's plenty to get the job done.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have Hilton and Marriott Visas, Chase Sapphire (redeemable for multiple travel options) and a USAirways MasterCard. I used to travel enough on business that the additional points from the credit cards helped us get decent reward travel. Now that I'm retired and the airlines are more interested in selling points/miles to banks than actually redeeming them at reasonable rates, their worth has dwindled. As they come up for renewal, I may drop the Hilton, USAirways and Marriott and go with the Fidelity 2% cashback. That would also save us a chunk of annual fees.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

BTW - my dad needed a new credit card when his old one was changed to a master card, which he did not like. He only banks with a small bank and had trouble getting a new card from anyone else. BIL finally thought of the Amazon card, and since dad is a long time Amazon customer, he had no problem. He was so excited about his cash rewards points at first that he insisted on paying for gas, restaurants, etc. LOL!

Amazon is the only company he orders from online, and I'm glad they make retrieving the points so easy - perfect for him.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
BTW - my dad needed a new credit card when his old one was changed to a master card, which he did not like. He only banks with a small bank and had trouble getting a new card from anyone else. BIL finally thought of the Amazon card, and since dad is a long time Amazon customer, he had no problem. He was so excited about his cash rewards points at first that he insisted on paying for gas, restaurants, etc. LOL!

Amazon is the only company he orders from online, and I'm glad they make retrieving the points so easy - perfect for him.
Oh good! It sounds like the Amazon card will be just right for me, for some of the same reasons that it is perfect for your father. I haven't tried to get another card for many years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
We have Hilton and Marriott Visas, Chase Sapphire (redeemable for multiple travel options) and a USAirways MasterCard. I used to travel enough on business that the additional points from the credit cards helped us get decent reward travel. Now that I'm retired and the airlines are more interested in selling points/miles to banks than actually redeeming them at reasonable rates, their worth has dwindled. As they come up for renewal, I may drop the Hilton, USAirways and Marriott and go with the Fidelity 2% cashback. That would also save us a chunk of annual fees.
I feel the same way about my Mileage Plus Visa. I originally had the Chase card linked with United when purchases at Safeway gave you United miles. I live in the SF bay area, and United is a dominant carrier.

But now that I'm travelling less, and using your miles for a free seat requires spending 50,000 miles, I've started using my BofA Visa for purchases to get the 1% cash back instead of trying to get miles.

I also have a Costco Amex, a debit card, and I'll never give up my Nordstrom's card.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #32

Costco AMEX - main card because of cash back

BofA Travel Visa - used when traveling since it is a chip & sign card with no currency charges. I also use it when the AMEX is refused (cheap retailers! good for them).

Was actually going to get the Amazon card, but didn't get around to it last time I turned off my credit freeze, but will probably add it next time I do that.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

A hundred? I really don't know. Last time I checked my credit report, we had 41. But I think they under counted because some cards don't report to the CRA's if there isn't any activity on the account.

I'm addicted to travel hacking, and sign up bonuses for new accounts are nice.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:07 PM   #34

One MC, which started out as a Sears card when I worked there in 1971-1972. I opened that just to establish a credit rating.

Credit union Visa, opened that ~1980 or so.

Local bank Visa, one for me and one for DW when we moved to WV. Doesn't cost anything.

We kind of rotate them around in use just to let the issuer know we haven't died yet and pay them off in full.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #35

Two visa cards, one Costco Amex, two credit union ATM/debit cards (one main account and one low-balance used for overseas withdrawals), one local foreign bank visa, and one local foreign bank ATM/debit. The local ATM card was just suspended last week when a couple hundred ATM cards from this bank were hacked and the accounts pilfered. They say that the cards were hacked from the area right around my office building. BTW, I'm going on vacation to Vietnam next week.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #36

Two Visa (DH carries one as his primary card and I carry the other, although we both have cards for both accounts). AMEX Blue Cash Preferred (which I heard about on this forum - love the 6% cash back on groceries). One ATM/Debit card (like Alan, used only for ATM except at Spec's - you'd have to live in Texas to understand)

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote