9-10 4 5.71%
11-12 2 2.86%
over 12 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

How many credit cards do you have
Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How many credit cards do you have

How many credit cards (including ATM cards, debit cards, and credit cards for specific stores) do you currently have?
I have two credit cards, two ATM/debit cards, and a Kohl's credit card, which I rarely use.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

3 credit cards (Discover, VISA and Mastercard). Most charges go on Discover and VISA is backup and Mastercard is rarely used. Two ATM cards (local bank and bank where we used to live which is where our main accounts are).

No store cards for me, but DW has a JCP card.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #3

I voted wrong. I just saw "credit card" and gave a knee jerk response. I have 2 CREDIT cards. I remember reading many yrs ago that two was the optimum number of cards as far as assessing your credit rating. Don't know if that's still true.

I also have ONE debit card from my local bank where I have a checking account
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Three years ago the answer was 4. We only had 3 credit cards, two of which we carried, and one which sat in the safe to use as a backup in case one of the others was compromised, plus our BofA ATM only card.

We've accumulated quite a few cards over the past couple of years, mainly for various rewards, or conveniences like chip and pin and no foreign transaction fee. So we're closer to 12.

We have no store specific credit cards.

3% Amazon Chase VISA Rewards card - we each got one for the $50 bonus each. These stay in the safe so are only used at Amazon online. We buy a great deal at Amazon so we've racked up a lot of rewards point this way and they make it super easy to use.

The rest we have jointly.

Fidelity AMEX for 2% everything on everything - our main card.

Bank of America Travel Rewards VISA chip and signature. 1.5% on everything. This is our main card overseas or when ordering online from Canada, plus we use it when someone doesn't accept AMEX. Actually this is a 1.65% rewards card because as a BofA checking customer we get an annual bonus of 10% of the rewards accumulated annually. I checked - and we got the bonus!

Costco AMEX - we only use for 3% off gas at Costco plus as our Costco membership card. It gives 2% for restaurants and travel, so we could use it for that, but we usually use the Fidelity because we get to cash in the points monthly rather than annually.

PenFed VISA Cash Rewards with chip and PIN and no foreign transaction fee. We specifically got this to use in automated ticket machines in Europe, but it also gives 5% gas rewards so we use it at filling stations other than Costco.

United Travel Rewards card. We only use it when we buy United Airlines tickets. It gives one free checked bag for each of us plus priory boarding as well as flight points and a large initial bonus. Stays in safe.

Old legacy BofA VISA in safe - we could get rid of this one. The newer has better features.

Old legacy Delta American Express in safe. This is used to pay monthly recurring bills and never used otherwise to avoid the inconvenience of compromise. We have a lot of old Delta travel miles on this, but Delta does not fly out of our airport anymore, so tough to use. Maybe one day. Delta might resume.

BofA ATM only card for our main checking account.

PenFed VISA Gold check card for our PenFed checking account. This normally stays in the safe, but we would take it for traveling. We keep PenFed checking account low and the only bill we pay out from it is our PenFed VISA, so we feel OK funding it for travel and using a debit card against it. We have it linked to from other accounts and can transfer funds in and out in a couple of days - don't need to leave money sitting in there and it's isolated from our main checking account.

We just got two debit cards - one each - for our new HSA Bank accounts. These will probably never be used as we're more likely to use EFT to reimburse ourselves for medical costs and don't anticipate ever using the card at a provider. Parked in safe.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

2 AMEX, 2 Visa cards......DW has many more, uses Macy's card most of other cards for extra discounts......Costco AMEX card give us most cash back......hundreds of dollars each year since we buy all gas and big ticket stuff like TV's at Costco. Then we take actual cash from Costco and spend it only on "fun" stuff.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Two credit cards, one debit. If it wasn't for Costco and our bank ATM, we might only have one credit card and no debit card.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Two credit cards, one of which I rarely use any more (it serves mostly as a backup), and one debit/ATM card, which I rarely if ever use as a debit card (only ATM for cash). No single-store cards, either.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

got 2 visas; one for everyday use, one for online/telephone only. one debit card for atm use only ('cept for a week period waiting for reg cc to be mailed to me after leaving it at restaurant on cross-country trip). also have a mastercard never used; maybe never activated. was a "fill out form, get free tshirt" at a hockey game
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #9

one personal visa and debit, one business visa and debit, one usd visa, one us bank account debit. the personal and usd cards are duplicated for DW.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Stop the presses!

As most here know by now, I have only had a debit Mastercard from my bank for the past 16 years. But, after reading this thread I decided, "what the hay" and about five minutes ago I applied for, and was immediately approved for, an Amazon Visa card.

It has no annual fee and nice rewards. I got a $60 gift card for signing up, too. It has a horrible interest rate (14.24% to 22.24%) so I hope I can figure out how to pay on time each month and not mess up. First world problem, I suppose.

So now, I am joining the rest of the indebted masses.... If nothing else it should be interesting to see what this is like, after all these years.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I voted wrong. I just saw "credit card" and gave a knee jerk response. I have 2 CREDIT cards. I remember reading many yrs ago that two was the optimum number of cards as far as assessing your credit rating. Don't know if that's still true.

I also have ONE debit card from my local bank where I have a checking account
OK, I edited the poll numbers to change your vote.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... about five minutes ago I applied for, and was immediately approved for, an Amazon Visa card.
Ummm, did you check your calendar? Did you mean to save this post for April 1st?

But seriously, I set up our CCs on auto-pay, with an amount that is larger than I typically expect a monthly bill to be. I edit it when the statement is available, and the repeating, larger $ amount 'sticks' for the next month. So I'm unlikely to ever pay an interest charge, and will never pay a late fee.

Even if I forget and over-pay, that will just roll forward to the next month, though I suppose you could ask for a check reimbursement of the excess.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Ummm, did you check your calendar? Did you mean to save this post for April 1st?

But seriously, I set up our CCs on auto-pay, with an amount that is larger than I typically expect a monthly bill to be. I edit it when the statement is available, and the repeating, larger $ amount 'sticks' for the next month. So I'm unlikely to ever pay an interest charge, and will never pay a late fee.

Even if I forget and over-pay, that will just roll forward to the next month, though I suppose you could ask for a check reimbursement of the excess.

-ERD50
Thank you so much! This sounds like a good method to keep me from incurring those awful interest rates. I am just totally ignorant about how people do that. All my bills are on automatic deduction so I seldom think about late fees and such.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #14

We have Costco Amex, Chase Visa, and Credit Union Debit cards. All on Auto Pay Full Balance.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have 3 credit cards - Chase MC, Chase Visa and Discover. After the Target fiasco, I set up the MC exclusively for paying utilities. For everything else, I use the Visa over the Discover for lots of reasons and so I had not used Discover for months. This is until I got an offer from Discover about a month ago, that I will get $75 back if a make a purchase minimum purchase of $1000.00 by July 31. This is easy - just my homeowners insurance due next month is over $900.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Stop the presses!

As most here know by now, I have only had a debit Mastercard from my bank for the past 16 years. But, after reading this thread I decided, "what the hay" and about five minutes ago I applied for, and was immediately approved for, an Amazon Visa card.

It has no annual fee and nice rewards. I got a $60 gift card for signing up, too. It has a horrible interest rate (14.24% to 22.24%) so I hope I can figure out how to pay on time each month and not mess up. First world problem, I suppose.

So now, I am joining the rest of the indebted masses.... If nothing else it should be interesting to see what this is like, after all these years.
Is this gonna be anything like that "W" word?

Good luck with the Amazon Chase card. We took one a couple of months ago. For the first time (in the US) I paid interest on a credit card. When setting up the autopay I somehow ended with "minimum payment" instead of "pay entire balance". Of course, I corrected it, but only after one billing cycle. My fault.

I see using a credit card and getting between 1%-3% cash rebate an easy choice, as long as you pay the balance monthly.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you so much! This sounds like a good method to keep me from incurring those awful interest rates. I am just totally ignorant about how people do that. All my bills are on automatic deduction so I seldom think about late fees and such.
DW also has an Amazon credit card, issued by Chase, and it allows you to set up automatic payment of the balance each month. It also has good alerts so you can get an email and/or text message each time your card is used on line. Useful since this is the most common type of fraud.

I also didn't read the OP before I voted and only counted CC's not the debit card we have. Maybe you could change the title to include debit cards.

We have 4 credit cards and a debit card between us. One CC never leaves the house and is only used for automatic payments. The Debit Card is only used as an ATM card except at Specs liquor store where a discount is given for cash.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have one debit/ATM card and that's all. I'm surprised there's no "0 cards" option in the poll. I know several people who have no cards at all. I don't know anyone that has double digits.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #19

One, a VISA, no ATM cards, or debit cards. Still believe in cash for most face to face transactions. Also have never paid a penny of CC interest, ever.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have one debit/ATM card and that's all. I'm surprised there's no "0 cards" option in the poll. I know several people who have no cards at all. I don't know anyone that has double digits.
Actually, when I set the poll up, I'm pretty certain I had a choice of "0". Maybe I set it up wrong. It was my intention to have that as an option. Could a moderator add that option?
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote