Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #21

Lefty, only one in my family. I loved the special scissors I got to use in kindergarten! Like many others, I struggled to learn how to do some stuff when I was a kid and watching right handed people do it, so I shoot basketball and dribble right handed and use a right hand mouse.

A friend is a righty, and doing a barber apprenticeship with a left handed barber. He says it is really hard to follow...I said welcome to my world!

There are more lefties now that the schools don't try to change us, like W2R described. One thing we all do in my experience, is adapt our writing to make it work. I turn the page sideways, while others wrote above the page kinda backwards.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 08:01 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I thought this was going to be a quickly banned post in the political area

Old 12-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

So this just proves what we all know that lefties are much more adaptable 'cause we need to be....
Old 12-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #24

Nothing sinister amongst our tribe. One brother is either ambi or bi, not sure which, and another brother is one of those rebellious lefties that survived and recovered from a childhood of forced righty-ness.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Eat and write lefty, bat and throw righty, tools I use either. Can play racquetball with either but more skillful with right. And a retired engineer
Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Complete lefty here - eat, write, play sports with my left hand (and foot). Only time I had a issue was when I tried playing golf when I was young. I had to use right hand clubs, hated it, and kept away from the sport for many years... then I played with a left handed set of clubs and realized using the wrong clubs was the problem.

My mother was left-handed and good in math, so I must have inherited both of those from her.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Completely lefthanded ( genetic, mutiple lefty relatives). When I was working more than half of the doctors in my practice group were lefthanded
Old 12-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I currently have Golfers Elbow in my left arm, and was recently talking with my wife about my sore arm. I jokingly asked if I am better coming from the left or from the right side 😇.
She looked at me, laughed and walked away.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm one of eight siblings. Four of us (including me) are lefties.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #30

My cousin was tortured as a child... his words... because they tried to make him write with his right hand. My aunt admits to following his teacher's instructions of tying his left hand to the chair so he couldn't use it, and having him practice writing his letters with his right hand. He hated it, and she hated seeing him miserable. She has since apologized to him.

He ended up writing left handed despite these measures.

Thank goodness times have changed.

I'm right handed but decent in math - as are my kids (right handed/good math.)
Old 12-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some interesting comments on left/right from Richard Lederer:

Does Dexterous English Language Libel The Left-Handed? | Richard Lederer's Verbivore
Old 12-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Speaking as someone who studied neurology, lefties (such as myself) have far less "lateralized" brains - lateralization being where one side of the brain handles speech. So, lefties tend to recover better from strokes, etc.

When I was in college, I worked in the architecture library. Almost every student there was a lefty.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
My cousin was tortured as a child... his words... because they tried to make him write with his right hand. My aunt admits to following his teacher's instructions of tying his left hand to the chair so he couldn't use it, and having him practice writing his letters with his right hand. He hated it, and she hated seeing him miserable. She has since apologized to him.
My father was left-handed and went through that too. Kind of hard to imagine now.

I'm right handed but apparently ambi-eyed, meaning I sight a gun with my right eye but shoot a camera with my left.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

When I went to school in 62, the nuns in my school no longer punished kids for writing with left hands, and they didn't *say* anything that I remember, but they glared so pointedly that you knew you were a terrible child. Of course, you didn't necessary know *why* you were a pariah.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

My golf game is getting so bad from the right side, I am thinking about switching.....
Old 12-06-2015, 12:02 AM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm lefty but only righty in writing.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:07 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ah, my comrades!
Old 12-06-2015, 06:54 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a lefty, but was taught to bat either way, and I use right handed clubs when golfing as my father said that it made more sense to learn that way - something about the power behind the swing coming from the non-dominate side??). I mouse with my right hand exclusively however.

I'm an artist (supposedly has something to do with being right brained - more creative, and the old school of thought was that lefties used their right brain more), and I am killer at lateral thinking and creative problem solving. I have no idea if that has any relation to which hand I am inclined to use the most.