Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
OK, after reading this thread, checking the internet, and especially talking it over with Frank, we're headed for the tire place tomorrow to see about replacing my tires.

Although it is not as dry here in the summer as it is in Texas, still it does get very hot and I parked outside 100% of the time until a couple of months ago.

Oh man, it's going to cost a lot. I'm almost tempted to trade in the Venza on a new car instead.
Since you don't put on a lot of miles you can probably go with the lowest mileage warranty available. The Venza has either size 19 or 20in tires so they're not cheap but you can get a set mounted and installed for $800-$1000 I would guess. You can afford that every 6 years without worry. That said, if you do trade in the Venza you may want to consider a vehicle with 15 or 16in tires instead. They cost half as much.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

When you buy new tires make sure to check the manufacture date. They should be less than 2 years old. If you put on few miles then you want the newest tires possible. Use this site to learn how to determine the manufacture date:
Tire Date Code: What it is and where to find it | TireBuyer.com
Old 10-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
When you buy new tires make sure to check the manufacture date. They should be less than 2 years old. If you put on few miles then you want the newest tires possible. Use this site to learn how to determine the manufacture date:
Tire Date Code: What it is and where to find it | TireBuyer.com
I don't buy any tire more than 6 months old. Any tire retailer can get easily get you fresh ones if you insist.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Since you don't put on a lot of miles you can probably go with the lowest mileage warranty available. The Venza has either size 19 or 20in tires so they're not cheap but you can get a set mounted and installed for $800-$1000 I would guess. You can afford that every 6 years without worry. That said, if you do trade in the Venza you may want to consider a vehicle with 15 or 16in tires instead. They cost half as much.
Mine has the bigger tires, which look great but cost a fortune. Oh well. I have been casually looking for another vehicle online, but haven't found one that I like, even with big tires (but smaller ones would be better, you're right! ).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Got new tires, and thanks to all of you for alerting me that it was time. The man at the Goodyear tire store said that even with low mileage, they usually recommend no more than 5 years before getting new tires.

They weren't as expensive as I feared, either, thank goodness.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, after reading this thread, checking the internet, and especially talking it over with Frank, we're headed for the tire place tomorrow to see about replacing my tires.

Although it is not as dry here in the summer as it is in Texas, still it does get very hot and I parked outside 100% of the time until a couple of months ago.

Oh man, it's going to cost a lot. I'm almost tempted to trade in the Venza on a new car instead.
I'm sure getting rid of the Venza was tongue in cheek (right??) but this is an example of things people need to think about in their budgets. If you've got 2 cars, figure perhaps $400/car every 4 years, so set aside $200/yr in your budget just for tires (if that is an accurate price for your car's tires). Then there's other car maintenance items like the bigger maintenance intervals, new brakes, batteries, etc. You can't just look at what you spent in the last year or two if you haven't had expenses like this come up, or bought a new car but throw it out as an irregular expense.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I checked the date code on my truck tires that I got in January: 3714 (37th week in 2014).

Now to check all the other tires as we got fresh tires for our minivan and Honda Accord not too long ago.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am glad to see that I am not the only one getting sub par mileage on my tires. I replaced tires on both vehicles this year.

The Vue got 37k miles on 80k rated Mastercraft tires. Some wear left but not much.

The Corolla got 67k miles on 80k rated Mastercraft tires. I wore these down almost to the wear bars. I am pretty conscientious about inflation and rotation.

The prorated replacement guarantee is a joke. They want you to wear all 4 tires down to the wear bars. Then they want paperwork submitted that none of the tire sellers want to deal with. However, I have not had any problems with the tires and they are reasonably priced. I reupped on both cars with Mastercraft.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I'm sure getting rid of the Venza was tongue in cheek (right??) but this is an example of things people need to think about in their budgets. If you've got 2 cars, figure perhaps $400/car every 4 years, so set aside $200/yr in your budget just for tires (if that is an accurate price for your car's tires). Then there's other car maintenance items like the bigger maintenance intervals, new brakes, batteries, etc. You can't just look at what you spent in the last year or two if you haven't had expenses like this come up, or bought a new car but throw it out as an irregular expense.
There's only one of me, so I only have one car. In an emergency, F and I will drive one another places so no need for two. (He lives next door and has his own car.)

Big irregular expenses keep appearing right along, not just for car but for the house, the dentist, and other irregular expenses. Some years there are none, the next year more, but all in all they just keep coming right along, however sporadic they may be. It has all worked out just fine so far. I groan, and moan, and then pay (and pay, and pay), and then cut back on discretionary stuff for a little while until things get back on track. Sort of like what I would do if we had another 2008 style market crash.

Again, I was glad to discover that the expense of buying new tires this afternoon was much lower than I had expected. So, I probably won't have to cut back much if at all.
Quote:
Got new tires, and thanks to all of you for alerting me that it was time. The man at the Goodyear tire store said that even with low mileage, they usually recommend no more than 5 years before getting new tires.

They weren't as expensive as I feared, either, thank goodness.
As for the new car, well, it is always in the back of my mind. I'm not ready for one yet, though, so maybe it was about half tongue in cheek. My Venza only has 22,000 miles on it.

After checking online I didn't see any other car that I'd rather have. The latter is a good exercise for me, so that if/when I actually NEED a new car, I have some idea of what I might want. Not one car made me drool this time so I'm glad I didn't really need to buy one.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:57 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got 500 hours on my 1998 Kubota B7800 (sub compact tractor) before having to replace the front tires due to dry rot on the sidewalls. Those were the original tires. I'd also mention replacing the original factory battery just this spring but that would be a thread hijack.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After checking online I didn't see any other car that I'd rather have. The latter is a good exercise for me, so that if/when I actually NEED a new car, I have some idea of what I might want. Not one car made me drool this time so I'm glad I didn't really need to buy one.
With the miles you put on you won't NEED a new car until your in your 90's...so never. Nothing wrong with buying a new one though if your in the spend-down phase and can afford it like you are.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
With the miles you put on you won't NEED a new car until your in your 90's...so never. Nothing wrong with buying a new one though if your in the spend-down phase and can afford it like you are.
Well, that is what I'm thinking. I can afford it if there was one that I wanted. I guess I like the Venza more than I realized.

But suppose my car got hit by a truck while I was inside a store shopping, and was totaled. (That has never happened to me, but just suppose.) Then I would need to buy another car quickly, and it's always good to have an interesting car or two in the back of one's mind just in case.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA View Post
... on retirement car 8k; 2014 Camaro ZL1, 600HP, Supercharged.
Do you find the rear tires wear a lot faster than the front?
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:01 PM   #54
Administrator

My current daily driver is a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid with 205K miles on it. I rotate my tires at every maintenance, which is roughly every 9k miles.

The original equipment tires were Dunlop SP31 Low Rolling Resistance. According to my records, I replaced the original tires at 57,844 miles (replaced with same). I replaced them again at 120,423 miles (switched to Toyo Versado LXII). I am getting ready to replace them again before the snow starts.

So it looks like the Dunlops averaged about 60k miles and the Toyos are now around 85k miles.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #55
gone traveling

Wouldn't life be dependent on diameter? I.e., bigger diameter means more circumference & thus less surface contact frequency per tread length.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #56
gone traveling

I live in nyc, I own a car . It's a 2004 with 37,000.it was my very first new car. It has a CD player AND a cassette player lol. We have yearly inspections here my mechanic told me the tires had dry rot and I could have a blow out, mind you the car rarely goes over 25 miles an hour . He ordered 4 tires and they had I think 33000 miles on them ,plenty of tred just rotted, I used to park in the street but dogs whizzing on the tires and rock salt might have had some responsibility for it. I park in an under ground garage now , I visit the car at least monthly when I pay them for the spot. It would have been cheaper to just take taxis but I never had a new car and it was on the bucket list.
retiredinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

I have always preferred to go 40-50k miles and get four brand new tires. Nothing else improves the way a car feels like a brand new set of tires. Usually, I end up needing to replace a tire or two before the 50k mark due to a road hazard and that throws everything off. The last couple sets of tires I ran for more like 50-60k miles to wearout with only sporadic rotations, but I do maintain inflation pressure on the high side.

I have been "blown away" by the Michilin tires that came on my 2011 Chevy Equinox. I am approaching 90k miles on two of them and they still have decent tread depth and good road feel. The other two were replaced due to sidewall damage.

One time I was on the interstate when the tire pressure monitor (TPMS) light flashed on and I watched the tire pressure dropping as I drove. Because of this technology I was able to get off the road onto a side street where I could safely change the tire. Without TPMS the tire would have certainly been destroyed before I could react. FYI, the 1st replacement tire was $300 and the 2nd one was around $200, but I see them available for about $150 now and most shops charge extra to service vehicles equipped with TPMS. I will probably start replacing tires in pairs rather than going for a full set which is a big compromise for me.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Don't think I bought a whole set of four tires till in my late fifties - now and again I'd splurge and buy a new pair and mount them on the front. Once I got into buying sets of four I found they would last about 25-30k, but much of that wear had to do with BMW alignment settings, which tend to scrub rubber off the inner rear tread, and driving style, which scrubs rubber on the outer edges of the front tires.

Still, better than the old days when all my tires were bought from junkyards, often mounted on wheels.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:33 AM   #59
gone traveling

I saw a show even if the car is front wheel drive put the new tires on the rear
retiredinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredinnyc View Post
I saw a show even if the car is front wheel drive put the new tires on the rear
Right. A little upset handling in the front means some understeer, which most non racers have a chance of recovery from. Rear upsets mean oversteer, which most non racers screw up.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote