Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
How do you like you Roadtrek?
I am extremely happy with it. On our first trip, we drove (from Denver) to Annapolis, Maryland -- spent a week -- drove to Pittsburg -- stayed a week with relatives -- drove to Chicago -- spent a week exploring Route 66 from St Louis back to Chicago -- drive home through Wisconsin. I was hooked. There is something really nice about sleeping in your own bed (queen size) every night. We then spent a week (or so) in each of Wyoming/Montana, Kansas, New Mexico, and Texas. We are going to Wyoming for Thanksgiving (DD) and then heading out for a couple weeks in Oklahoma.

On the functionality part, I am even more pleased. We purchased the biggest model but it will go anywhere a car can -- well, I need 8'6" clearance (only had a problem once). And I mean I can park it anywhere a non-compact car can -- and even then...

It gets between 15 and 16 MPG but I can't complain really -- that 6 liter Chevrolet V-8 will take that 10,000 pound vehicle up to 60 in a heart beat. And even on the steepest mountain passes the cruise control holds steady.

Recommend it highly.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

2003 Subaru Outback: 84,500
1993 BMW 525iT: 156,000
1989 Volvo 240: 212,000

Old 11-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
07 - 12K
05 - 35K
03 - 60K
61 - 85K?
60 - 65K
59 - 75k?

Boy, you guys drive a lot.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
1993 BMW 525iT: 156,000
Is that a great engine or what! getting about 23.5mpg for overall economy with a DaSylva chip. High marks for durability also.
'93 525it also, closer to 200k miles
Old 11-23-2008, 04:11 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

03: 46000
06: 6000
Old 11-23-2008, 06:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
No Rambler, Rambler?
No Rambler...we had one when I was a kid...it was a green beast.

Got my truck wrong too, its a Tundra, not a Tacoma.

R
Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
we had one when I was a kid...it was a green beast.
Same here. We had the one with the holes in the floorboards.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am extremely happy with it. On our first trip, we drove (from Denver) to Annapolis, Maryland -- spent a week -- drove to Pittsburg -- stayed a week with relatives -- drove to Chicago -- spent a week exploring Route 66 from St Louis back to Chicago -- drive home through Wisconsin. I was hooked. There is something really nice about sleeping in your own bed (queen size) every night. We then spent a week (or so) in each of Wyoming/Montana, Kansas, New Mexico, and Texas. We are going to Wyoming for Thanksgiving (DD) and then heading out for a couple weeks in Oklahoma.

On the functionality part, I am even more pleased. We purchased the biggest model but it will go anywhere a car can -- well, I need 8'6" clearance (only had a problem once). And I mean I can park it anywhere a non-compact car can -- and even then...

It gets between 15 and 16 MPG but I can't complain really -- that 6 liter Chevrolet V-8 will take that 10,000 pound vehicle up to 60 in a heart beat. And even on the steepest mountain passes the cruise control holds steady.

Recommend it highly.
We looked at them as an option, but they are expensive and it sure seemed like they would be claustrophobic with two adults and two kids. Do you find the space tight? How well does the shower arrangement work when you need it?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We looked at them as an option, but they are expensive and it sure seemed like they would be claustrophobic with two adults and two kids. Do you find the space tight? How well does the shower arrangement work when you need it?
Yes, I agree. It would be too tight for four people -- unless the children were very small. (and, I guess, you would then have an even bigger problem... too much energy and too little space.) In addition, we found the original cabinets inadequate so we removed the two lounge seats (which make into the two single beds) and added armoire and shelving units.

The only space constraints we find it is that the person on the left side of the bed has to crawl over the other one to get up. On the other hand, there are no ladders to climb.

We have not had opportunity to really use the shower. We are Travelers and not Campers. We use the Roadtrek as our hotel room; staying in RV Parks with showers. I did, however, try it just to "make sure it works." It was no different than taking a shower in the cabin of any cruise ship. (recognising that if you are not "hooked up," it would be easy to run out of water prematurely.) The toilet works just fine, though, and that is more important. In fact, we have not spent more than one night in any one place.

All things considered, the cost comparison with other RVs is at worst a wash. We don't, for example, need a towed (toad) vehicle since I can already go where I want... within the aforementioned 8'6" clearance. (In full disclosure: This does not include off-road.) We do have most of the things that we have in our "permanent" home -- a wide screen HD television/home theatre with surround sound, a microwave, coffee maker, air conditioning/heating, refrigerator, stove (we added a toaster oven), two tables, and (swivel) chairs. And even an awning for outside seating. I have no regrets on the pricing (except perhaps that I could have waited six months <chuckle>).
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Interesting, Ron. Since we already had a tow vehicle that was rated for 3500#, we ended up with a travel trailer that has all the amenities you described. It was a lot less expensive than a motorized RV and fits us for now. But if it were just DW and I, a roadrek would be at the top of the list. We generally use the camp's showers as well, as the bath in the trailer is functional but tight.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Interesting, Ron. Since we already had a tow vehicle that was rated for 3500#, we ended up with a travel trailer that has all the amenities you described. It was a lot less expensive than a motorized RV and fits us for now. But if it were just DW and I, a roadrek would be at the top of the list. We generally use the camp's showers as well, as the bath in the trailer is functional but tight.
Yeah, but... You do have to include the cost of the tow vehicle. There is somewhere (and I did search for) a blog that listed ALL the costs involved in the purchase of a Travel Trailer setup. IIRC (and most likely not), the trailer itself cost in the $70k range and the total ended up around $140k.

In any event, in my earlier post, I was thinking of a Class C RV and the towed vehicle being pulled by the RV. A TT would (for me) add a whole different slant to things. TT are great for camping but pretty impractical for (our type of) traveling. While I said that we use the Roadtrek as our hotel room, the actual intent is to use it to get to places where I can get out of bed and take photographs without having to drive for 25 miles -- Arches National Park comes to mind. Dragging a big ol trailer doesn't sound like much fun for that. Since our purchase was late in the year, we have not been able to use it in this manner but watch out next summer.

But, yes, I do agree that a TT is an excellent choice. We have two friends that have TTs and wouldn't have it any other way. But, then again, they are campers.

BTW, the photography thing is what brought me to consider an RV in the first place. I was led to this website. Now, that's expensive. A Roadtrek was my compromise.

Again, in full disclosure mode. We purchased the Roadtrek because we both were retired last spring. We have always traveled extensively and were looking for a way to eliminate the travel "industry" --airlines and hotels, specifically -- as much as possible. An RV seemed a perfect fit. However, after we purchased the Roadtrek, DW was asked if she would be interested in doing FCC Compliance Inspections of radios using frequencies owned by the Airlines. This would require going to airports and off-site locations. The fact that there was a hefty hourly rate paid as well as all expenses -- hotel, travel, food, etc -- made it a little hard to refuse. As a consequence, our travels, thus far, have been dictated by the location of target airports. (Nevertheless, on routes that we would have taken anyway.) Performing this duty, BTW, is without pressure of any kind so we do it "as we travel."
Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I agree that a big honkin' TT would be a hassle. That's why we ended up with a 16 foot bunkhouse model (Fun Finder 160X). I have hooked it up and struck camp in under 30 minutes with minimal help from DW (who was dealing with the kids) when very motivated by heavy rain. Its not as easy to drag from spot to spot as turning the key on the Roadtrek, but we generally plop the trailer down for a couple days or more and then sightsee/move around in the tow vehicle (minivan) if we wish to do so.

As for the cost of the setup, we already owned the minivan as a daily driver. The trailer, hitch setup, the additional equipment the van needed and all the trimmings came to less than $20k. If we had gone used it could have been significantly less.

- Will Rogers
Old 11-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #53

02 : 122k (mine)
02 : 77k (DW)