Join Early Retirement Today

How many Musicians
Old 08-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How many Musicians

Are there many board members that played music in their earlier years? Maybe that practiced up and returned to playing, that actually made a little side money doing so? Or at least had a lot of fun doing it?
The only person that comes to mind is T-Al. I hope you will chime in and give me your story?
T-Al, do you have an educational background in the music field? Or just a guy that loves it and picked it up on the streets?
Are there others I'm not familiar with?
Just wondering if there is much of a chance, to pick up an instrument in the mid fifties and have some fun? I strummed a few chords and played in a garage band or two, in my earlier days, still have some vintage equipment. I've thought about knocking off the mud dauber/dobber nest and warming it up. I'm not a very good player and never was but I always enjoyed trying.
Just a dream I suppose but what tha heck.
I would enjoy hearing/reading your stories.
Steve

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

some good stories here:

Any one of you play musical instrument?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Are there many board members that played music in their earlier years? Maybe that practiced up and returned to playing, that actually made a little side money doing so? Or at least had a lot of fun doing it?
The only person that comes to mind is T-Al. I hope you will chime in and give me your story?
T-Al, do you have an educational background in the music field? Or just a guy that loves it and picked it up on the streets?
Are there others I'm not familiar with?
Just wondering if there is much of a chance, to pick up an instrument in the mid fifties and have some fun? I strummed a few chords and played in a garage band or two, in my earlier days, still have some vintage equipment. I've thought about knocking off the mud dauber/dobber nest and warming it up. I'm not a very good player and never was but I always enjoyed trying.
Just a dream I suppose but what tha heck.
I would enjoy hearing/reading your stories.
Steve
You can do it. But it's going to take a consistent
investment on your part to make it happen. If you are going to try guitar
make sure you have one that's set up well or you will have a harder time.

I have had lots of fun learning an instrument the last few years (i'm 50)
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I started playing at 45 and have been playing for 8 years now. I started with a simple acoustic guitar and then ventured into singing... I now have played in front of several groups of people 50+ and love to do it.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #5

Some of you pickers might want to check this guys site out. He is one of best and easiest going teachers I've found on the net. Most everything is free and I really like the way he teaches. Kids today (and older kids) have a huge advantage finding things to practice/learn due to the information highway. Wasn't the case when I was growing up. You basically had to pick it out by ear or have someone show you.
What a great benefit, should and has, produced some great players, I would think.
Steve

Free Guitar Lessons - Guitar TAB - with Justin Sandercoe
Old 08-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #6

I just noticed and took the time to read the thread HTown posted the link to.
Thanks HTown, that is a good thread and answers my questions pretty much.
I see we have a lot of musicians on the form.
Steve
Old 08-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I played guitar from about age 16 to early 20's, self-taught, mostly just strumming chords to popular songs. Just drifted away from it, no idea where that cheapo acoustic guitar went. I also played violin (San Antonio Jr Youth Orchestra), piano & baritone (school band) seriously as a kid. Haven't played any of them since teen years either.

A few months ago (after doing my Zelinski Get-A-Life-Tree exercise), I decided to take it up again, bought a guitar and started taking lessons weekly. I'm enjoying it immensely, some of it has come back to me (surprising after 30+ years), and I am determined to learn fingerstyle and flatpicking this time. I don't have any illusions of performing or making money from it. Just for fun...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #8

Guess you would call me a frustrated musician. As a preteen, my Mother insisted I take piano lessons. She had a piano and played herself somewhat. Only one piano teacher in my small hometown. So I took eight years of classical music and it was always play as it's written. Going into high school my folks had a chance to buy a clarinet and so I took lessons on it in order to join the band. Pretty small high school band, maybe 36 instruments and a bunch of majorettes. They were lacking trombone players and the school had a couple so they talked me into picking up the trombone. Pretty easy to learn. So high school band led to a German band and also dixieland. We're talking 1950's here. After high school, I just fell away from playing anything. Twenty five years later I got back into piano. DW, my second wife, played piano and organ in church and was a good singer. We bought an organ and she taught me how to chord so I picked up pop music. Then bought a piano and we played duets and switched around on the instruments. One desire I always had was to play in the big band era. Gradually it slipped away from both of us and now I couldn't play if I wanted as arthritis has taken its toll. So, as a warning, play all you can, as long as you can because the day will come when you want to but can't. You'll be so sorry. Hence, the frustration.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #9

A sadder variation of Johnnie´s story. I always wanted to play the guitar. I began to play in my late teens, but from the very start I noticed that my right left hand started to heat up and get numb after a few minutes. Nevertheless I kept doggedly at it.Took up the hobby on and off with the same results. It clearly wasn´t a case of insistence.
When I ERd I saw a doctor and more or less told me that there was no practical solution to my problem.
A pity, ´cause I have a good musical ear and a sense of rhythm....
Old 08-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, I’m not a musician but DH is.

He took a hiatus from playing, but for the most part has played bass for about 30 years. He taught himself how to play without reading charts. Then about 13 years ago he started going to a community college and took (and still takes) lessons.

He's played gigs with bands but most of the time they pay very little; anywhere from $20 to $400 per band member. He does it for fun and calls it gas money. Right now he’s not in a ‘booking’ band, but is in a community band. Every once in a while he’ll sub for someone that can’t make a gig.

To answer your question…of course you can pick up an instrument and have fun.

IMO, in order to be a successful musician…you need passion and patience...then practice, practice, practice.