Join Early Retirement Today

How many other "collectors" do we have?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How many other "collectors" do we have?

.....and what do you collect? Please share info and pictures!

I collect old United States currency ~ mostly 1929 and prior but I do make exceptions

#1 is a 1934 $500 bill (no longer printed by the BEP)

#2 (across) is an 1896 $5 Silver Certificate - AKA an "Educational" note

#3 is an 1899 $1 Silver Certificate AKA a "Black Eagle" - for obvious reasons, but also note the TWO presidents on this note......

Ain't they beautiful!!??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500obv.jpg (458.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg fr269obv.jpg (607.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg sn23obv.jpg (186.0 KB, 14 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
.....and what do you collect? Please share info and pictures!

I collect old United States currency ~ mostly 1929 and prior but I do make exceptions

#1 is a 1934 $500 bill (no longer printed by the BEP)

#2 (across) is an 1896 $5 Silver Certificate - AKA an "Educational" note

#3 is an 1899 $1 Silver Certificate AKA a "Black Eagle" - for obvious reasons, but also note the TWO presidents on this note......

Ain't they beautiful!!??
Nice.......... are Buffalo Head nickels worth anything? I have a bunch of those.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #4

I collect Mexican folk art from the Oaxacan state. They are brightly colored, fantasy animals and figures from untrained artists. But I haven't bought any recently since there's only so much space and so many dragons, cats, frogs, etc. that fit ibto a smallish condo!

Here are pieces very similar to mine (but the photos don't do them justice---they are very finely painted with intricate little details):

Old 12-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Collect some weird old clankers like this one - shoot a systema 45.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steyr hahn.jpg (34.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I still have all my old baseball, football, basketball and hockey cards from the 60s and early 70s. I bought a few sets in the late 80s too, but didn't keep up with it.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I collect "Little Soul " dolls .They are hand made by Gretchen Wilson .They are adorable large dolls dressed in antique children's clothing . Each doll is signed and numbered .Gretchen Wilson has stopped making these dolls and she now only does custom dolls which are a little too pricey for my taste .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6a_2.jpg (6.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 186_Birthday_girl.jpg (15.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg dolls.jpg (6.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 12-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I collect "Little Soul " dolls .They are hand made by Gretchen Wilson .They are adorable large dolls dressed in antique children's clothing . Each doll is signed and numbered .Gretchen Wilson has stopped making these dolls and she now only does custom dolls which are a little too pricey for my taste .
Nice....is that THE Gretchen Wilson ~ The redneck woman!!??
Old 12-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCollector View Post
Nice....is that THE Gretchen Wilson ~ The redneck woman!!??

No ,it's an artist who lives in Philadephia !
Old 12-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #10
Administrator

I was going to say that somehow I have never been infected with "the collecting bug". But on thinking about it, maybe I DO collect in an informal way.

I love cheap art and sculptures and really enjoy searching through store after store for the rare, hard-to-find pieces that I both like and can afford. To me it is a tremendous triumph to find just the right piece, and it can take months to find something. I think I have more fun doing this than wealthier art collectors. There wouldn't be any challenge if I spent more money, since expensive art is usually pretty nice.

Each piece is different and they are part of my home decor, so I am not sure if this qualifies as a collection. Each piece means a lot to me.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I was going to say that somehow I have never been infected with "the collecting bug". But on thinking about it, maybe I DO collect in an informal way.

I love cheap art and sculptures and really enjoy searching through store after store for the rare, hard-to-find pieces that I both like and can afford. To me it is a tremendous triumph to find just the right piece, and it can take months to find something. I think I have more fun doing this than wealthier art collectors. There wouldn't be any challenge if I spent more money, since expensive art is usually pretty nice.

Each piece is different and they are part of my home decor, so I am not sure if this qualifies as a collection. Each piece means a lot to me.
The best collection - eclectic. That's our home decor as well.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I don't collect anything.

Am now in dispersal phase: getting rid of stuff and preparing to live in studio apartment or small RV.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #13

I too am getting rid of stuff, although I notice I have quite a collection of miniature Santa Clauses on the mantel this season. That's the trouble with living this long - buy something every year or three and suddenly you have a large collection.
Another inadvertent collection I have have is letters and cards people have sent to me. It's really tough for me to throw them away.
My happiest times have been when I was traveling and everything I had was in a backpack or bicycle panniers. Of course I was ignoring the stuff stored in an attic or basement somewhere that I had to come back to.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been an avid model railroader for about 40 years (HO 1:87 scale). I freelance model the Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy RR, circa 1950's to 1960's. I also selectively collect some railroad memorabilia & artifacts....mostly lanterns and vintage ads.....and mostly CB&Q and Rock Island...grew up 2 blocks from each. Also shoot & collect RR photos.

This is the latest addition I built (from a kit) for my layout.....Union Station. It's actually based on the old Burlington Station in Omaha, NE.

(I ER'd to work on the railroad.... )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3889 Union Station at New Salem 1.jpg (74.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-20-2007, 10:51 PM   #15

I collected the entire works of John D. MacDonald, the pulp fiction writer known for the Travis McGee series. I have a medium sized vinyl record collection that I play regularly.

Now that I've looked around the house to see what else I have, it appears that I also collect cookbooks, napkin rings, plus a number of dogs and cats.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I collected the entire works of John D. MacDonald, the pulp fiction writer known for the Travis McGee series.
I have those too, but to me that's not a collection, that's a staple like food. So I guess I do collect things.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:18 AM   #17

Goonie,

Model RR is awesome! I've never had the time nor space to get into, but I LOVE looking at different layouts and whatnot. Sheesh... I'm a nerd......

I use to collect 1/18th scale die-cast musclecars... mostly Chevelles. It was starting to get expensive and I was short of room, so I put the ki-bosh on that. Now I'm trying to wean down the full scale version of our vehicle fleet.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:26 AM   #18

Cookbooks! About 500 of 'em. Mom started the collection when she gave me her mother's (my grandmother's) cookbooks. I collect them on our travels...people give them to me as gifts...now I have my Mom's collection, too.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
Goonie,

Model RR is awesome! I've never had the time nor space to get into, but I LOVE looking at different layouts and whatnot. Sheesh... I'm a nerd......
If you want to see a truly AWESOME model RR layout, find a copy of the December 2007 issue of Model Railroader magazine. They have a layout tour of Rod Stewart's MAGNIFICENT (and HUGE.... 23' x 124') model railraod! He's been an avid modeler for about 25 years. He builds everything himself, mostly while on tour, and then takes it home to his layout.

Rod's layout:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rod Stewart's RR 1 468x351.jpg (80.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
If you want to see a truly AWESOME model RR layout, find a copy of the December 2007 issue of Model Railroader magazine. They have a layout tour of Rod Stewart's MAGNIFICENT (and HUGE.... 23' x 124') model railraod! He's been an avid modeler for about 25 years. He builds everything himself, mostly while on tour, and then takes it home to his layout.

Rod's layout:
I am suffering a severe case of cognitive dissonance.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote