How many other "collectors" do we have?

VaCollector

Full time employment: Posting here.
.....and what do you collect? Please share info and pictures!

I collect old United States currency ~ mostly 1929 and prior but I do make exceptions :D

#1 is a 1934 $500 bill (no longer printed by the BEP)

#2 (across) is an 1896 $5 Silver Certificate - AKA an "Educational" note

#3 is an 1899 $1 Silver Certificate AKA a "Black Eagle" - for obvious reasons, but also note the TWO presidents on this note......

Ain't they beautiful!!??

Attachments

• 500obv.jpg
    500obv.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 11
  • fr269obv.jpg
    fr269obv.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 11
  • sn23obv.jpg
    sn23obv.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 14
.....and what do you collect? Please share info and pictures!

I collect old United States currency ~ mostly 1929 and prior but I do make exceptions :D

#1 is a 1934 $500 bill (no longer printed by the BEP)

#2 (across) is an 1896 $5 Silver Certificate - AKA an "Educational" note

#3 is an 1899 $1 Silver Certificate AKA a "Black Eagle" - for obvious reasons, but also note the TWO presidents on this note......

Ain't they beautiful!!??

Nice.......... are Buffalo Head nickels worth anything? I have a bunch of those.........

I collect Mexican folk art from the Oaxacan state. They are brightly colored, fantasy animals and figures from untrained artists. But I haven't bought any recently since there's only so much space and so many dragons, cats, frogs, etc. that fit ibto a smallish condo!

Here are pieces very similar to mine (but the photos don't do them justice---they are very finely painted with intricate little details):

Collect some weird old clankers like this one - shoot a systema 45.

Attachments

• steyr hahn.jpg
    steyr hahn.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 8
I still have all my old baseball, football, basketball and hockey cards from the 60s and early 70s. I bought a few sets in the late 80s too, but didn't keep up with it.

I collect "Little Soul " dolls .They are hand made by Gretchen Wilson .They are adorable large dolls dressed in antique children's clothing . Each doll is signed and numbered .Gretchen Wilson has stopped making these dolls and she now only does custom dolls which are a little too pricey for my taste .

Attachments

• 6a_2.jpg
    6a_2.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 186_Birthday_girl.jpg
    186_Birthday_girl.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 120
  • dolls.jpg
    dolls.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 120
I collect "Little Soul " dolls .They are hand made by Gretchen Wilson .They are adorable large dolls dressed in antique children's clothing . Each doll is signed and numbered .Gretchen Wilson has stopped making these dolls and she now only does custom dolls which are a little too pricey for my taste .

Nice....is that THE Gretchen Wilson ~ The redneck woman!!??

I was going to say that somehow I have never been infected with "the collecting bug". But on thinking about it, maybe I DO collect in an informal way.

I love cheap art and sculptures and really enjoy searching through store after store for the rare, hard-to-find pieces that I both like and can afford. To me it is a tremendous triumph to find just the right piece, and it can take months to find something. I think I have more fun doing this than wealthier art collectors. There wouldn't be any challenge if I spent more money, since expensive art is usually pretty nice.

Each piece is different and they are part of my home decor, so I am not sure if this qualifies as a collection. Each piece means a lot to me.

I was going to say that somehow I have never been infected with "the collecting bug". But on thinking about it, maybe I DO collect in an informal way.

I love cheap art and sculptures and really enjoy searching through store after store for the rare, hard-to-find pieces that I both like and can afford. To me it is a tremendous triumph to find just the right piece, and it can take months to find something. I think I have more fun doing this than wealthier art collectors. There wouldn't be any challenge if I spent more money, since expensive art is usually pretty nice.

Each piece is different and they are part of my home decor, so I am not sure if this qualifies as a collection. Each piece means a lot to me.

The best collection - eclectic. That's our home decor as well.

I don't collect anything.

Am now in dispersal phase: getting rid of stuff and preparing to live in studio apartment or small RV.

I too am getting rid of stuff, although I notice I have quite a collection of miniature Santa Clauses on the mantel this season. That's the trouble with living this long - buy something every year or three and suddenly you have a large collection.
Another inadvertent collection I have have is letters and cards people have sent to me. It's really tough for me to throw them away.
My happiest times have been when I was traveling and everything I had was in a backpack or bicycle panniers. Of course I was ignoring the stuff stored in an attic or basement somewhere that I had to come back to.

I've been an avid model railroader for about 40 years (HO 1:87 scale). I freelance model the Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy RR, circa 1950's to 1960's. I also selectively collect some railroad memorabilia & artifacts....mostly lanterns and vintage ads.....and mostly CB&Q and Rock Island...grew up 2 blocks from each. Also shoot & collect RR photos.

This is the latest addition I built (from a kit) for my layout.....Union Station. It's actually based on the old Burlington Station in Omaha, NE.

(I ER'd to work on the railroad.... :D )

Attachments

• 100_3889 Union Station at New Salem 1.jpg
    100_3889 Union Station at New Salem 1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 6
I collected the entire works of John D. MacDonald, the pulp fiction writer known for the Travis McGee series. I have a medium sized vinyl record collection that I play regularly.

Now that I've looked around the house to see what else I have, it appears that I also collect cookbooks, napkin rings, plus a number of dogs and cats.

Goonie,

Model RR is awesome! I've never had the time nor space to get into, but I LOVE looking at different layouts and whatnot. Sheesh... I'm a nerd......

I use to collect 1/18th scale die-cast musclecars... mostly Chevelles. It was starting to get expensive and I was short of room, so I put the ki-bosh on that. Now I'm trying to wean down the full scale version of our vehicle fleet.

Cookbooks! About 500 of 'em. Mom started the collection when she gave me her mother's (my grandmother's) cookbooks. I collect them on our travels...people give them to me as gifts...now I have my Mom's collection, too.

Goonie,

Model RR is awesome! I've never had the time nor space to get into, but I LOVE looking at different layouts and whatnot. Sheesh... I'm a nerd......

If you want to see a truly AWESOME model RR layout, find a copy of the December 2007 issue of Model Railroader magazine. They have a layout tour of Rod Stewart's MAGNIFICENT (and HUGE.... 23' x 124') model railraod! He's been an avid modeler for about 25 years. He builds everything himself, mostly while on tour, and then takes it home to his layout.

Rod's layout:

Attachments

• Rod Stewart's RR 1 468x351.jpg
    Rod Stewart's RR 1 468x351.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 13
If you want to see a truly AWESOME model RR layout, find a copy of the December 2007 issue of Model Railroader magazine. They have a layout tour of Rod Stewart's MAGNIFICENT (and HUGE.... 23' x 124') model railraod! He's been an avid modeler for about 25 years. He builds everything himself, mostly while on tour, and then takes it home to his layout.

Rod's layout:

I am suffering a severe case of cognitive dissonance.

We have a guy that lives around here that had some plastic surgery and hair work done to look like Rod Stewart, then dresses up like him and walks around. We saw him walking around Costco the other day. Really creepy.

We have a guy that lives around here that had some plastic surgery and hair work done to look like Rod Stewart, then dresses up like him and walks around. We saw him walking around Costco the other day. Really creepy.

Haha! There's one in my area who looks like a plastic Fabio...

I collect vintage folk records, a lot of early field recordings from the A. Lomax days on scratchy 78s. Still, there are worse things to be spending one's money on than American music...like modern American music, for instance...

My late husband had a collection of autographs .He was planning on selling them but never got around to it .One of them was an autographed picture of Babe Ruth which I sold for $3,000 to a collector .

Star Trek

I used to collect Star Trek stuff - all kinds. I decorated my office at work with it all. Most people liked visiting, but some thought I was just plain "geeky". Maybe I was... I was working in IT.

When I retired and downsized, I had no room for any of that stuff. I had it all packed up in boxes sitting in storage. In retirement, I took up golf. The wife convinced me to sell the Star trek stuff and buy a good set of golf clubs. That was good advice!

Back
Top Bottom